You are not logged in. Please register or login.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

Re: Depression...

strat0 wrote:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Chris_Cornell

Was reading some of the stuff on here when I realized There's alot of people that are depressed aren't there? I mean I can pretty much hide mine and I'm not suicidal (yet) but I just have "phases" of depression where I'll just be depressed for days or sometimes even weeks or months on end. Any one else expierience this? Or think I need to see a shrink?

I mean it scares the crap out of me sometimes. I mean I read Catcher and the Rye the other day and was like woah....I think like this alot...
I doon't know. maybe it's nothing. But that one quote on there really got to me "The problem is, no one really knows what run-of-the-mill depression is. You'll think somebody has run-of-the-mill depression, and then the next thing you know, they're hanging from a rope. It's hard to tell the difference. "

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It's actually more simple than most think.

Here's it in a nutshell...

Everyone will experience Depression, and it's symptoms sometime in their life. But you have to make sure that the people suffering the depression know that they are not alone, and that it is normal, for the most part, and to give them positive re-enforcement in order to come out of the depression.

But if you are depressed to a point that you are thinking of physically harming yourself or others, is when you have a mental instability that needs to be treated clinically, with therapy, medication, or a combination. This is when it officially is a real problem.

You also have people who confuse depression with bordeline personality disorder. People who have depression "on a whim", or suicidal tendencies for dramatic effect, are borderlines, which is more serious. It ain't got nothin' to do with depression.

We could sit back and find a medical reason as to why depression is so heavy in our society (at least), but I personally think it's a by-product of a fucked up and unfair world. Your conditioning at a young age at how to understand it and deal with it is a major issue to, and unfortunately if you have a real moron as your guidance at a young age, shit is gonna be put in your subconscious that is NEVER going to come out. Just the way it is. The best you can do is try to teach people to recognize when this happens, and to direct them to other cognitive ways to re-direct their issues. Not ignore them, but manage them in an easier way, by re-enforcing what helps them such as religion, art, gardens, sports... anything that is a healthy outlet.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Because of course you can simplify everyone's experiences down to where that solution you posted would work for everyone.  Bullshit.  You haven't lived in everyone's shoes.  It's not a simple as you like to think.  It can't always be treated with medication, and in fact, I believe there are much better treatments than medication for depression. 

There's no medical reason for why depression is so heavy in our society.  There is a best explanation out of many, but not one.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Never said there was. I simply gave my own personal theory.

Psychology is a science, there is no definitive answer, and it must allow itself to be disproven to be a true science.

My opinion is it's not as complicated as everyone makes it out to be, and you also don't oversimplify by throwing meds at people like I see on a DAILY basis.

But i'm telling you right now, if your depression is causing you to have murderous thoughts, you need medication or a bullet. You're a danger to yourself and society.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

You also have people who confuse depression with bordeline personality disorder. People who have depression "on a whim", or suicidal tendencies for dramatic effect, are borderlines, which is more serious. It ain't got nothin' to do with depression.

I don't want to get into an argument about this, but I know a person with BPD and it's a very serious and sad ailment, and i've noticed in a few threads you've made throwaway remarks about it.

A number of borderlines also suffer from depression. I would disagree about the suciede attempts being for dramatic effect (although this is clearly true in some people who may or may not also have BPD), but many cases Borderlines will engage in self harm not for effect but because in their mind it is the only way to gain a release from the emotional conflicts in their mind. I can't really explain but it seems to be similar to how a person will masturbate to releive excess sexual tension. The BPD suffer I know goes to a lot of trouble to hide the evidence that they have have been self harming, it's like a dirty secret that they are ashamed of, yet unable to resist peforming next time the pressure is too much.

Anyway...to the OP...i've suffered from depression and anxiety at different times in my life, and I'd recomend visiting a psychologist and engaging in cognative thearpy. I'm not a fan of medication but each to their own. Once you can identify patterns in the way you are thinking, and responding to your own feelings, then it's possible to learn the skills to cope and survive and while things may still suck in their own way, you can eventually learn to feel back in control.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I have had depression for the last 2 years. At first I was diagnosed with work related stress, but now I think it was depression back then too. I tried to ignore it for ages but it affects you in different ways that you dont expect.
I went from having an encyclopedic knowledge of horticulture, to staring at plants in my mums garden and not even being able to remember the names of them. Being self employed as a landscaper/organic gardener this started causing a lot of problems and embarrassment.
Falling asleep at say midnight, then waking at 2am and lying wide awake until 5am was another weird symptom.
The constant fatigue was a nightmare, totally ruined my excercise routine - which was great for lightening my moods.

The doc prescribed me antidepressants, but I never took them. I read a lot about them online and decided against it. I have casually thought about suicide since I was a child and never had any major inclinations to carry it out, apart from one drug induced occassion.
From what I read antidepressants change the way your brain works, and I was afraid that if I took them I would no longer be able to control suicidal  thoughts.

Exercise was always key to maintaining a healthy mind and I'm trying to start little by little getting back into a routine. Its frustrating since I used to be very fit and strong, but after many false starts I'm determined to build up slowly this time around.
I already feel a lot better, but still nowhere near over it.

I've been taking st johns wort for a while as well, I cant say for sure if they work, but they havnt done me any harm.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I don't want to get into an argument about this, but I know a person with BPD and it's a very serious and sad ailment, and i've noticed in a few threads you've made throwaway remarks about it.

A number of borderlines also suffer from depression. I would disagree about the suciede attempts being for dramatic effect (although this is clearly true in some people who may or may not also have BPD), but many cases Borderlines will engage in self harm not for effect but because in their mind it is the only way to gain a release from the emotional conflicts in their mind. I can't really explain but it seems to be similar to how a person will masturbate to releive excess sexual tension. The BPD suffer I know goes to a lot of trouble to hide the evidence that they have have been self harming, it's like a dirty secret that they are ashamed of, yet unable to resist peforming next time the pressure is too much.

Anyway...to the OP...i've suffered from depression and anxiety at different times in my life, and I'd recomend visiting a psychologist and engaging in cognative thearpy. I'm not a fan of medication but each to their own. Once you can identify patterns in the way you are thinking, and responding to your own feelings, then it's possible to learn the skills to cope and survive and while things may still suck in their own way, you can eventually learn to feel back in control.

You are pretty right, and in the ballpark with your assessment. I agree with you completely on the BPD, and I don't mean to make 'throwaway' comments to the disorder. My experience has not been of those who hide the disorder, but to that of those are seriously inflicted with the disorder and have no clue why they are the way they are. It can be as light as those who crave drama, and as serious as those who 'cut' or do other self-harming things. I was an observer in a group session one time with someone who was seriously inflicted with this, and they simply had a hard cover book in their hands. Everyone was telling their feelings and talking, and this person suddenly took the edge of the book and slit their throat from ear-to-ear. They survived, but it was one of the most bizarre, sudden, unexpected things i've ever witnessed. This is someone who severely suffers from BPD.

But i've also seen those with BPD, but not on that degree, that simply are BPD's that are addicted to drama. It's very common with that disorder. I've seen those with the disorder that do very sudden and socially abnormal behavior. Like a girlfriend you have a perfectly sound relationship, no arguments, no disagreements, and the person suddenly calls you up, completely out of the blue and threatens to kill themself if you don't marry them, but in their mind, it's almost a revenge ploy because "they'll show you", "you'll feel bad you let them die" and all this kind of stuff. Where the abnormal part comes in, is they think this is perfectly acceptable thinking and a pattern to life, but in reality it's very abnormal. They have no clue the way they are acting is out of order, and dangerous.

I typically haven't seen anyone with murderous thoughts on BPD, but i'm not saying it isn't possible. My experience has been more with anti-social's having those issues.

I'm just saying that BPD is not relegated just to self-harmers, or even in my case, dramatically bizarre people/manipulators and the such.

As for depression, like I said in my original post (I guess Saikin didn't read it), medication imo is only for those with serious issues imo, and depression is 'overdiagnosed' imo. Doctors are too quick to throw anti-depressants at people, and doctors who give people anti-depressants for sleeping is another very dangerous thing that shocks me it's so very common. Anti-depressant meds fuck with your brain chemistry, and that's the reason people suddenly lose short-term, sometimes long-term memory.

I've NEVER taken them, even when recommended. Personally i'd rather have painkillers for sleep. I might get addicted, but at least I won't blow my fuckin' brains out, Jesus.

Like Olorin said, cognitive therapy is the absolute best and should be used in almost all cases. It's just sad that people that believe that seem to be in the minority, at least in my country they are.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

But i've also seen those with BPD, but not on that degree, that simply are BPD's that are addicted to drama. It's very common with that disorder. I've seen those with the disorder that do very sudden and socially abnormal behavior. Like a girlfriend you have a perfectly sound relationship, no arguments, no disagreements, and the person suddenly calls you up, completely out of the blue and threatens to kill themself if you don't marry them, but in their mind, it's almost a revenge ploy because "they'll show you", "you'll feel bad you let them die" and all this kind of stuff. Where the abnormal part comes in, is they think this is perfectly acceptable thinking and a pattern to life, but in reality it's very abnormal. They have no clue the way they are acting is out of order, and dangerous.

My cousin has this. maybe that kinda stuff runs in the family?
Idk I can usually end my depresiion by learning about stuff or music tho...

AtariLegend wrote:

I've suffered from depression, telling people was the worst thing I could've done. Being told to forget things and move on isn't very helpful when the problem is you can't.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Axlin, I don't get why you're such a fucking dick all the time.  That's my honest opinion.  I read your first post, but I don't believe in using medicine, at all.  That was my point.  And I like this idea much better (that you posted by the way, I did read it):

Like Olorin said, cognitive therapy is the absolute best and should be used in almost all cases. It's just sad that people that believe that seem to be in the minority, at least in my country they are.

I would urge anyone to do this over taking meds any day.  If someone is just taking meds to handle the problem I don't think it's going to get any better in the long run.  The meds may open new doors for you, like seeking therapy, but meds by themselves are useless.  I myself would never take them.

I don't necessarily think that depression is over diagnosed,  but that the meds are given out way too much.  A lot of doctors act like that is the answer to everything, and in truth, it isn't.

Board footer