You are not logged in. Please register or login.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

Re: Where is the Better Video..?

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I agree. Riad isn't the greatest song ever, but the studio version sounds more complete.

The biggest issue I had with it, is Axl's vocals are weak to me. Instrumentally, the song is ace.

True the vocals are weak and the fact i find Riad the weakest of the album Shows the quality of the album as a whole, after all it is a solid enough song it just does'nt float my boat. I cannot say i hate it though.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah i'm hoping we get a live version with the new line up..could be interesting...i rememebr the first time they played it live - i think Rio - i was just like WTF and became skeptical about things...but the album versions owns me now...i've really gotten into it since i read the words and stuff too....i really enjoy it now...and that solo is mad!

Sky Dog wrote:

Riad rocks with and without Bucket...good God, what do you want? Axl channels Zep, old school Gnr, and new school Gnr...great song and one of Axl's best opening lines ever.....I mean truer words can't be spoken.

"Riad N' The Bedouins
Had a plan and thought they'd win
But I don't give a fuck 'bout them
Cause I am crazy "  18

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I still say part of that song if not all is about the old band and or Slash and certain people in a little lyric code. And I can't see how anyone thinks the vocals are bad.. Axl rips the song up. Very powerful vocal performance.

Sky Dog wrote:

well, no doubt the entire album is about broken relationships and the old band takes plenty of the brunt in my opinion. I actually like the fact that it is such a personal album with clearly defined personal themes. The public will never pick up on it, but, hey, we have Buzz to remind us of what the sheep love to hear because the majority always rules.....Rob Thomas has a new song and album coming out...rock and roll is back!!!!!!!!!

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I agree. Riad isn't the greatest song ever, but the studio version sounds more complete.

The biggest issue I had with it, is Axl's vocals are weak to me. Instrumentally, the song is ace.

It's still not one of my favorites, but I have gained a certain appreciation for the song.  It definitely rocks!  Tommy's mention of the song in his interview makes it seem like it's a favorite of his to play.  And it was far and away rated the hardest song to play in Rock Band, if that means anything, so it would be cool to hear played live again.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

It makes me wonder what silkworms would be like on a studio cut. Because I thought Riad live was a bit of a mess, until I heard the leak/album versions and now I love it. Silkworms sounded unlistenable to me in live bootleg versions...but I'm guessing on a studio cut it would be a lot more interesting.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

I still say part of that song if not all is about the old band and or Slash and certain people in a little lyric code. And I can't see how anyone thinks the vocals are bad.. Axl rips the song up. Very powerful vocal performance.

Agreed.  I think Axl tears that song up.  It shows a different range for him too when he can sing that song clean and then IRS raspy.  Not a weak performance at all in my opinion.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It makes me wonder what silkworms would be like on a studio cut. Because I thought Riad live was a bit of a mess, until I heard the leak/album versions and now I love it. Silkworms sounded unlistenable to me in live bootleg versions...but I'm guessing on a studio cut it would be a lot more interesting.

A studio version of Silkworms would kick major ass. Amazingly underrated rocker.

Love that tune. 9

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

A studio version of Silkworms would kick major ass. Amazingly underrated rocker.

Love that tune. 9

I might give it another shot as I think i only listened to it once when that RIR boot came out. Was it ever played again or is that the only peformance? Anyway...at the time I was nostalgic for the old band I expect...so i think with my modern ears I might be more open to works in the style of these new songs.

Board footer