You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: If the Skwerl

James wrote:

Had the leaks never happened, fans would have moved on years ago. HTGTH and mygnr would have turned into ghost towns, and this site wouldn't even exist. Also, if no leaks had happened, the album wouldn't be on store shelves and the few fans remaining would still be in Scooby Doo mystery mode.

I do agree that the leaks stripped the emperor of his last strands of cloth, but thats what happens when you refuse to move on yet hype an album year after year. Does mysteron think Axl is scum of the earth for playing the album in strip clubs? Oh, and bonhamfan1 hit the nail on the head....

The band(and its minions) have to stop venting their frustrations at the ONLY people who give a shit about this band. They should be praising people for sticking around and buying that amateurish "album", not shitting over people who brought a buzz to it. Its also no ones fault that all the leaks wound up better than the album as a whole.

I have an idea. Instead of crying over spilled milk, do one or several of the following:

Update the fans with the status of the tour
Fix that bullshit CD booklet and offer the files as a download on the official site
Release that video or explain why its been flushed down the toilet
Let a professional run the official site and actually add content

As far as skwerl goes, I have difficulty supporting the guy. Am I glad he leaked the tracks? Sure. Did I listen to the leaks? Does a bear shit in the woods? However, his approach to it all was way over the line. Too much bragging and bold claims and its not really that shocking that he got in trouble.  He should have went the darknemus and MSL route and had a bit of fun with it without putting a bullseye on his own back.

I doubt he gets jail time.

Regarding new leaks, the more the merrier. Axl went from saying "same bat time" to "don't know, don't care" about a 2nd album and started in on his Slash obsession again. In other words, same as it ever was. Its a known fact that leaks speed up releases, and if anyone wants to see a 2nd album anytime soon, well you know what's gotta happen....

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Or you could just listen to other bands to get your kicks and do something else with your time.
I've got a new Isis album ready to play on the stereo and a Buckethead album to order, I cant wait.
Atlas Shrugged, The General and co. are honestly a million miles from my thoughts these days.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Had the leaks never happened, fans would have moved on years ago.

I dunno i think we need to distinguish between the leaks there. I think that's really true of the ITS, TWAT, BETTER leaks that really revatilised the fan base....paved the way for the 06 tour and really kind of got the ball rolling after the endless nothingness of 03-05 kinda time,

But isn't skwerl the guy who leaked all the other stuff, like prostitute, if the world...and Riad...that stuff came much latter on in the picture, at a time when we ended up being pretty damn close to the real release.

A leak of 4-5 songs was one thing, but when you have a 13 song album and we ended up with like 11 of those songs...it starts to get pretty damaging.

The inital leaks had their place from a PR point of view, but I think like any good thing, it went too far. It's one thing leaking and dowloading songs at a time when it seemed due to the lack of communication that the album was never going to happen, but it's a whole different thing when there's an offical date and release strategy in the works...and that's getting messed with.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

The Skwerl leaks came before a release date had been made official. Before the Rock Band 2/Shacklers think was announced either. While it ended up being within 6 months of a release, at the time there was little indication it was going to happen.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Communist China wrote:

The Skwerl leaks came before a release date had been made official. Before the Rock Band 2/Shacklers think was announced either. While it ended up being within 6 months of a release, at the time there was little indication it was going to happen.

Oh ok...my bad...it's all a bit of a blur in my head.

I dunno at the end of the day i have mixed views...i think he did the wrong thing in that he fucked over the band (sure Axl may have also fucked himself over..but if I smack myself that doesn't mean you can hit me)...but of course as a fan..loving the album...it was good to listen to that shit as soon as possible, and so that part of me was glad it happened. I went and bought it anyway...but I duno if that's true of all of us.

So i'll say the guy did the wrong thing. But I also think his punishment needs perspective too. Like it's an economic crime, it's not a violent crime. And it's also a crime where someone lost money (maybe) but the criminal on't have gained a lot from it himself. And I think jail should be limited to cases where people do crimes that are much more dangerous to the community.

So sure, fine the guy, make it hurt a bit, teach him a lesson, get him fired or whaever. But throwing the guy in jail for a long time is going a bit far IMO.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

If it wasn't for motherfuckers like skwerl.... that record would have sold a quarter of what it ultimately did. axl rose is his own worst fucking enemy... and his people scramble around trying to point their fingers at other people when he shoots himself in the foot. we all know that the record shoulda come out in 02... at the very latest. they dropped the ball and blamed everything  on "leakers" and fans... fuck that. the leaks were... from where i stand... the biggest (if not only) promotion for chinese democracy after the "rocks greatest recluse" hype died shortly after the aborted 02 tour... he should be thanking all us motherfuckers... not takin' us to court

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Let me clarify my statement

I think he should go to jail just for trying to self promote himself.

Leaks, I could care less.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

no.. i agree... i'm just saying.. the leaks are, in fact, why he's facing jail, right?
...and it was ultimately axl that made that happen... right?
the whole situation is just retarded.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
tylerdurden wrote:

no.. i agree... i'm just saying.. the leaks are, in fact, why he's facing jail, right?
...and it was ultimately axl that made that happen... right?
the whole situation is just retarded.

I agree it's retarded...but it may not be Axl driving the jail train...could be that someome at the label got the FBI wound up or whatever.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I listened and downloaded all the leaks because the waiting time was over years ago. Anything coming I would grab because it was WAY past bedtime in waiting and not listening.

Skwerl released stuff just before the album came out. He could have done it under less of a PR thing and just dealt with some GNR fans. It could have been much more underground and the media wouldn't have picked up on it. He just released it wrongly.

Board footer