You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: If the Skwerl

Neemo wrote:

i dont think he should get jail time...they should look for the source thats who the real culprit is in this case

anyway...look at it this way, at least we got to hear a bunch of the tracks with bucket..the ones he leaked werent even the end product, and he didnt offer downloads, so i dunno

its just a new example to be made out of the high profile people in piracy...just like the pirate bay group..they got jail time didnt they?

AtariLegend wrote:

I don't get this nonsense about people downloading the album, not buying it, then saying it doesn't matter, because they wouldn't of bought it anyway.

Mysteron may have stated some annoying, verging on ridiculous stuff down the years, but I completely agree with him on that.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think the leaks were the best promo the ablum received.

AtariLegend wrote:

Maybe so, but when it actually got released the media couldn't care less.

...And that isn't entirely an Axl thing, it's also a who cares, we've already heard it thing.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Maybe so, but when it actually got released the media couldn't care less.

...And that isn't entirely an Axl thing, it's also a who cares, we've already heard it thing.

The media talked about it for years. I think everyone was expecting a big hoopla when it was finally released... That falls directly in Axl's lap. No matter how much BB was at fault for not promoting right or Geffen for being dicks... The band was never out in public. Axl was never out in public. Nothing happened.

The leaks got people talking about the album from CNN to G4. How is that not great publicity?

Off topic - I thought this thread "If the Skwerl" was going to be a parody of If The World. 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I don't get this nonsense about people downloading the album, not buying it, then saying it doesn't matter, because they wouldn't of bought it anyway.

Mysteron may have stated some annoying, verging on ridiculous stuff down the years, but I completely agree with him on that.

Yeah the whole "boo hoo!! Songs leaked causing everything to implode" logic really makes a lot of sense. If we're gonna use that logic, every artist/band/movie company implodes since everything leaks.

Leaks are inevitable. Most artists realize this. Some leak the stuff themselves because they know its one of the 21st century promotional tools. Not GNR though. We gotta put an asterisk next to their name and assume what happens to all other successful artists causes their ship to sink while everyone else thrives from it.

M.I.A. leaking Bird Flu took her from being virtually underground to becoming talked about on every media outlet. When the full album leaked weeks before release, it got coverage everywhere. It also had first week sales placing the record in the Billboard Top 20, and although almost two years since its release, it currently sells more copies than Chinese Democracy each week.

Why didn't she implode from leaks? If we use Mysteron's logic, she should be sulking at home and blaming fans. Instead she's about to launch her second tour behind the record and will likely release something later in the year.

How did U2 handle leaks? By singing half the album on roof tops, immediately announcing a worldwide stadium tour, and announcing a second album to be released later this year.

when it actually got released the media couldn't care less.

Thats because the album was as stale as a loaf of my grandma's raisin bread. They had already reviewed it. Ron adding something and Frank pounding a drum didn't warrant a second review under the media's microscope.

If GNR wanted more attention, build a time machine, go back in time,  and don't release a leaks album. Another reason the media stopped caring is because the singles tanked and they knew the public at large no longer cared either.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

Atari, even Axl disagrees with you and Mysteron:

Billboard: The last time Guns N' Roses had a new album out, the Internet was barely a reality. What was your response to the nine-song leak this summer?

Axl Rose: Having someone jeopardize your efforts so cavalierly is pretty much a nightmare. I don't know that it hurt us though, at least as one might think. Hard to say. That's not to imply leaks don't hurt artists, but that they were earlier roughs and the level of sound quality is much higher with the finals.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/feature/ … 1566488114

AtariLegend wrote:

Most people who downloaded this album aren't "Gn'R" fans, most people who download music, don't go out and buy it.

I don't know why you guys believe otherwise, anyway, fine... I have my view of the world.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I seem to remember every man and his dog in the media had something to say about Chinese Democracy, it was everywhere. But with no momentum behind the release, it just got left behind rather abruptly while the world kept on turning.
Even  if the Better video had come out after Axl's "in a week or so" comment, it was still months too late.

It may well be none of our business and we're not owed any goddamn thing, but I would still love to know why almost everything they have done has been so fucking halfarsed and tardy.

Board footer