You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Re: I'm gonna share this with Evo first...

Scabbie wrote:

Cheers for that

I quite like Robins solo but you're right, it kinda drowns some of the cool stuff underneath. Especially the harp!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...i think Robin's solo there is suitable for the song...gets across a lot of emotion and stuff.

Although...as troll like as it makes me....a part of my brain can't help but wonder what slash would have brought to that song...when you listen to the stuff like "street child" and so many other songs...he could have done something pretty special there I think.

So to me..Robin's solo is functional there, even quite enjoyable now I'm used to it's melody....but, as much as Axl hates the guy so it was impossible, I do think that on a muscial level...the song would have been taken further by you know who.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I hate Robin's playing, so this version is awesome!

Thanks!!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Although...as troll like as it makes me....a part of my brain can't help but wonder what slash would have brought to that song..

Its not a troll thought. Even hardcore new GNR fans said the song begs for Slash when they first heard it. Naturally so, as the song dates back to 1991.

I prefer it with no solo, but if one was needed, after hearing it with no guitar, I think a simple yet emotional acoustic solo by Ron or Bucket would have fit with the song better.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

People spoke so much shit about the solo before I heard it, that when I did hear it, I was pleasantly surprised.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
DCK wrote:

People spoke so much shit about the solo before I heard it, that when I did hear it, I was pleasantly surprised.

Yeah I don't get the outrage over it.  I also prefer the original, though this version does let you hear all the orchestration and other stuff going on, so that's cool.  But the album version is just fine for me.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
DCK wrote:

Yeah...like i said I find it "functional"...but not brilliant. I have issues with how it (the solo) is structured I think. IMO a truely great guitar solo should have emotion and kind of build to something.

It starts off great - lots of feel...but it also kind of wanders and drags and it's almost like it never quite climaxes the way it should.

I mean i shouldn't be so harsh as it's cooler than I would have recorded...and I do enjoy it now.

So  think what the song needed was somethign that pushed it to another level. Like musically - the orchestration and the vocals and everything to me is brillance...and the solo it has is kinda cool...and so what comes over to me is an amazing song...I think one of Axl's best ever....but I also think...if they'd managed to put a 1 in a billion style guitar solo in there to go with it....then the song would have become the greatest thing known to man...lol...but there's only a handful of guys that are going to hit that magic place on this track....and you could wait a lifetime to find it i guess.

But it's awesome as is anyway. It all makes me wonder how hard it must be for artists. Like even with my own music I often think "could i do this better another day" and when you have a kickass song lyrically like this...it must be frustrating to wonder if you get more players in and whatever...at what point does somethign get as good as it will..and how many drafts is enough. I can see why this album took axl forever. I think this song is amazing...but I can also see how many options there are for it...(pushing up the harp in the mix, bringing in bumble or bucket for a solo, god knows what else)...

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

A Bucket solo would be preferable over a Finck solo. Wonder if such a thing exists.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Exactly.

The song could use Slash, but I would prefer Bucket. A new guy. Bucket's Sorry solo is to die for, and i'm sure he would've made a great memorable solo in This I Love.

Monk said it best. Sure we exaggerate, but the truth of the matter is, Robin's solo is just not mind-blowing. It's just a "functional" or "serviceable" solo. It's not great, it's not bad, it's just kind of there. And when this version takes it off... you don't really care it's gone.

That's just the kind of solo it is imo.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i doubt a bucket one exists..but what do i know...

Dexter wrote:

I didn’t want to do This I love in anyway shape or form and Robin and Caram insisted gaining Tommy’s and the others support.

it may not even have been planned for the album when bucket was there

Board footer