You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Tales Of The Bumblefoot : An Exclusive Interview With Ron Thal

Neemo wrote:

all i've read of tolkien is LOTR and Hobbit...i never knew where to begin with other stuff...but the fantasy genre is my baby, got a soft spot for it...you should check out Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series...its the one i was speaking of above its fucking fantastic like i said its on book 12 comes out in november and there hasnt been a descrepancy to speak of in 20 years spanning the entire series, quite an amazing feat, and the story is captivating 11 ....in any case when i was a kid i had read the hobbit about 5 or 6 times by the time i got to grade 9, so when we did the hobbit as required reading in grade 9 i moved up to LOTR and read it in the same time frame as the rest of the kids read the hobbit...i still managed to be the foremost question answerer for the hobbit questions as well big_smile ... yup thats me 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Olorin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

James pretty much said it.

Olorin, I see your point, and not you specifically, but I see alot of these fans with that same argument, that are confusing "it's all about the music" with "stick my head in the sand, and still pretend like GN'R are still going to come back and rule the world after three failed attempts (2002, 2006, 2008)".

If you're burnt out on these discussions, frankly I don't blame you, but "dark, the future is" to pardon a Yoda-ism.

In the world of GN'R, no news = bad news, always has, and right now there's absolutely no news, and a failed album. Fans are naturally curious about what the next move is, and the reunion people only are on a reunion, because it's the only salvation for GN'R that they see, the one they knew. Personally I think the most likely move is Axl's gonna go dark for awhile, again, and come back with a new album and a new lineup of GN'R somewhere down the road, and try it all over again.

Well my blind optimism tells me the next installment of this "double" album wont be far away and Axl's "same bat time, same bat channel" comment is still relevant. I just think he is talking it down to protect it from the burden of expectation that cursed CD.
I honestly think his comment about promotional things being intentionally planned for later on down the line was true, I think it has been a smart move to just let this "$15 million, 15 years in the making" sensationalism die down and bring some much needed ordinariness to the album. I'm hearing more comments on the radio and reading in blogs online that "chinese democracy is actually not that bad" or words to that effect. I think its becoming less cool to hate on it and its its been brought back down to earth that its just another album. I think thats a much healthier environment to start making your moves in.

Hmm, very interesting points. It sounds very plausible, and could happen.

I just don't think he's going to pull it off the way he thinks, and not because of his own lack of drive, but because I don't think "the man" (Uni, promoters) are going to allow him to see it to his own personal end game.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
Neemo wrote:

all i've read of tolkien is LOTR and Hobbit...i never knew where to begin with other stuff...but the fantasy genre is my baby, got a soft spot for it...you should check out Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series...its the one i was speaking of above its fucking fantastic like i said its on book 12 comes out in november and there hasnt been a descrepancy to speak of in 20 years spanning the entire series, quite an amazing feat, and the story is captivating 11 ....in any case when i was a kid i had read the hobbit about 5 or 6 times by the time i got to grade 9, so when we did the hobbit as required reading in grade 9 i moved up to LOTR and read it in the same time frame as the rest of the kids read the hobbit...i still managed to be the foremost question answerer for the hobbit questions as well big_smile ... yup thats me 16

I never got it in school, I first read the Hobbit when I was 16, then started on LOTR. I loved the Appendices because it gave you some back story, the I discovered there was other books with the "history". Unfinished Tales is good, It has a chapter Tolkien wrote about what happened when Gandalf first met the dwarves and arranged for them to go to Bilbos house, which was the opening of The Hobbit. Del Toro has delved into Unfinished Tales and The Silmarillian for The Hobbit movie.

I'll definently check out the Wheel of Time  series!
Have you ever heard of a British author Terry Pratchett? He has got a series of satirical/comedy fantasy novels set on the Discworld. They are pretty popular over here, some are better than others but overall they are fantastic!

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i've heard of him but never read anything...do you have a book in particular you'd recommend?

the first book of WoT is the Eye of the World....you gotta, gotta gotta read that and let me know your opinions, I'm currently rereading the series for the 6th time, yes its that damn good

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think bumble is copping a bit of flack unfairly over this interview.

People often get mad when he says its not his place to give GNR news. But realisticly, how would we respond if his ego was bigger? Like if in interviews he said that GNR was all about him,  that he's bigger than Slash and Bucket to the legacy, and that everyhting that happens in GNR is at his whim? Everyone knows that the GNR brand is controlled by Axl and thus it's up to Axl to decide when it's time for news.

I don't see that fact as being incompatiable with his comments about being a band. One is business, the other is creative. His assertion that they are a real band, means that he isn't a session player, that they work as a group together on projects, and have personal relationships too. Being in a band does not mean that there has to be equal ownership or business power within that band, plenty of band have some partners with more say than others.

Realisticly ron is also limited in what to say for common sence for a few factors:

1. Axl is a target for people in the media - it may or may not be deserved - but it's beyond question that many intervewers are waiting to print a story that sells copies by talking about some kind of Axl breakdown or antics. Same with all the celbs. Britney is more interesting with no panties and loosing her kids than she would be happy watching TV at home. That's how the media works. And axl's history makes him prime in their sites.

2. Because the band has been inactive at times, and because of the silence, people like us jump on anything that's said. Maybe it started off being their fault for not talking to us, but now it's a cycle, if they do say even something harmless, we read between the lines in the kind of depth that's insane and starts wild speculation and rumours, and this encourages them not to talk.

3. This is conected to #2. But it's clear that Axl and Betra and GNR managment care more about what is said about them online than some artists would. From what we know of Axl fifth hand, it seems that negativity and rumours upset him and are basicly very unhelpful to the process of what we all want - which is making and performing great music. Now you might say that Axl shouldn't be like that, but IF he is, that's who he is, and bumble is wise not to do stuff that's going to make the kinds of rumours and speculation that interfers with the band.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Why doesn't that law apply to other bands? Hell, Kim Thayil is a fucking recluse and he's talked more about Soundgarden post break up than these guys have as active members of GNR with a new album.

I don't see that fact as being incompatiable with his comments about being a band. One is business, the other is creative. His assertion that they are a real band, means that he isn't a session player, that they work as a group together on projects, and have personal relationships too.

In what world does this take place? The world where Fortus didn't know IRS existed in 2005, or the world where polished tunes with orchestra are ancient  demos?

Funny that people just cant admit its NIN vol. 2 on a smaller scale.

He's barely being copped any flack here. He's being crucified over at mygnr.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

In no world James. People have lived in this "used and abused" beaten wife syndrome fan base for far so long, it's still gonna take years to finally break down the walls of illusion with these people.

What amazes me is the people still in denial that Axl's flat out lied to fans countless times. Just call it what it is. They then sit back and rationalize it as "it just didn't work out". Bullshit. He's lied to appease the fan base, just like all that stuff in the chat was total bullshit a few months ago, and no different than the Christmas 2006 Press Release.

I don't think he means anything personal by it, it's just business. I'd do the same, if it meant my paycheck.

The only difference now, is that Axl bit off more than he can chew. The botched rollout as Axl's FU to Universal was the "cup runneth over" moment for the fans. The tide has turned, and now they can do no right.

I kind of feel bad for Ron, and even Richard too. It's unfair for the fans to crucify them, when it's Axl that is ALL to blame for this abortion of a band and album.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

In no world James. People have lived in this "used and abused" beaten wife syndrome fan base for far so long, it's still gonna take years to finally break down the walls of illusion with these people.

What amazes me is the people still in denial that Axl's flat out lied to fans countless times. Just call it what it is. They then sit back and rationalize it as "it just didn't work out". Bullshit. He's lied to appease the fan base, just like all that stuff in the chat was total bullshit a few months ago, and no different than the Christmas 2006 Press Release.

I don't think he means anything personal by it, it's just business. I'd do the same, if it meant my paycheck.

The only difference now, is that Axl bit off more than he can chew. The botched rollout as Axl's FU to Universal was the "cup runneth over" moment for the fans. The tide has turned, and now they can do no right.

I kind of feel bad for Ron, and even Richard too. It's unfair for the fans to crucify them, when it's Axl that is ALL to blame for this abortion of a band and album.

I agree with you Axlin.  And some will forever be in denial about Axl.  To me GNR is another NIN or better yet it is now Axl's solo work.  Sure others write songs with him but other solo artists do work like that too namely Ozzy.  Only difference is that Ozzy releases music more often.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Why doesn't that law apply to other bands?

Which law?

James Lofton wrote:

In what world does this take place? The world where Fortus didn't know IRS existed in 2005, or the world where polished tunes with orchestra are ancient  demos?

Well the demo thing is a seperate issue, i'll grant its wierd about Fortus in 05, but maybe the band talks more now than it did at that stage...Bumblefoots statement:

"we see each other on a daily basis, and when we're not, we're speaking to each other all the time, hanging out and doing things together, jamming and playing on each other's albums, and doing everything band members do"

so unless he's lying about all that stuff.

And to Axlin08 - I don't think Axl has directly lied to the fanbase, I think he says things that he believes to be true when he says them. However it's clear his perception of events is sometimes different to how others react to things, and so often these things turn out not to happen, or would not be how another person sees the project.

Take the better video - I'm sure when Axl said that he intended to relase it in a week. But something happened, either some legal complication, or he got into a fight with someone at the label, or something made him change his mind. So the result it what he said about the video was false, but I don't think it was a lie at the time.

Or likewise about the project overall. To someone like james its like NIN cos Axl has final control, but in his deter posts, Axl said that if he was to intentionally set out to make a solo album he'd have taken a very different approach, and that he felt creatively he'd worked with a lot of input from band members for this project. it's all about a persons perception.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Why doesn't that law apply to other bands?

Which law?

James Lofton wrote:

Well the demo thing is a seperate issue, i'll grant its wierd about Fortus in 05, but maybe the band talks more now than it did at that stage...Bumblefoots statement:

"we see each other on a daily basis, and when we're not, we're speaking to each other all the time, hanging out and doing things together, jamming and playing on each other's albums, and doing everything band members do"

so unless he's lying about all that stuff.

And to Axlin08 - I don't think Axl has directly lied to the fanbase, I think he says things that he believes to be true when he says them. However it's clear his perception of events is sometimes different to how others react to things, and so often these things turn out not to happen, or would not be how another person sees the project.

Take the better video - I'm sure when Axl said that he intended to relase it in a week. But something happened, either some legal complication, or he got into a fight with someone at the label, or something made him change his mind. So the result it what he said about the video was false, but I don't think it was a lie at the time.

Or likewise about the project overall. To someone like james its like NIN cos Axl has final control, but in his deter posts, Axl said that if he was to intentionally set out to make a solo album he'd have taken a very different approach, and that he felt creatively he'd worked with a lot of input from band members for this project. it's all about a persons perception.

Here's one that is in denial.  *lol*  The guys may talk to each other on a daily basis, but do they talk to Axl?  And more importantly are they involved in the decision process?  I think not.  Them not being able to talk about anything about GNR and not knowing what's going on is proof of that.  If they talk to each other on a daily basis including Axl then I guess GNR related stuff isn't coming up on a daily basis.

Board footer