You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: Tales Of The Bumblefoot : An Exclusive Interview With Ron Thal

gnfnraxl wrote:

And Monkey.  The guys may be involved in the song writing process, but when it comes to decision making as it relates to GNR the buck stops with Axl.  Like I said, Ozzy is a solo artist but Zakk Wylde and others do write material with him.  But Ozzy and his wife are the ones calling all the shots.  Same with GNR and NIN.  Trent calls the shots so does Axl.  Take Metallica.  Trujillo joined the band after St Anger was recorded and he was more aware of what was going on with Tallica than anyone in GNR.  Cause the Met guys are a band.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think metallica was an exception to the rule though, like giving him a 25% stake in the band was kinda unusual for a band in metallica's position IMO. I think it was basicly done because met are all pro-love post the thearpy sessions wink

Like if motley crue got a new bass player I doubt he'd be given equal say and control of the band with the others.

Plus what of bands where songwriting and ownership is held by a couple of people? take Ac/dc - Angus and Malcom write almost everything - is it not a band? They could kick out brian at any moment if they wanted to. If angus doesn't like what brian sings, do you think he can't force him to redo it or drop it from the album?

I dont deny Axl has ultimate control and thus the buck stops with him, but its also sounded in interviews that band members were given freedom to compose anything they want in recording sessions, then Axl picks the parts he liked and felt suited the song.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Why doesn't that law apply to other bands?

Which law?

That entire post where built in excuses are required to make it look like a band.

"we see each other on a daily basis, and when we're not, we're speaking to each other all the time, hanging out and doing things together, jamming and playing on each other's albums, and doing everything band members do"

so unless he's lying about all that stuff.

Where are all these jams and albums? They obviously don't hang out all the time when they all have to gravitate towards one location for rehearsals, then it implodes, then they're back where they were before.

Dizzy admitted that the band hadn't seen each other from the 02 implosion until the Hammerstein rehearsals(thats almost four years), but Bumblefoot and Frank coming in turned it into an era of sunshine and lollipops? If they've been hanging out daily since March of 2006, the two and a half year wait for the album makes zero sense(not that it made sense anyways).

They do everything band members do? Coulda fooled me....

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Monk if you choose to continue to believe the 'complications theory' that's fine. I think he's a liar, who's protecting his business interests. Like I said, i'm not even judging. Just call it what it is. This whole "complications arose" is so 2006 at this point.

And to gnfnraxl, the difference between GN'R vs. Ozzy & NIN, is that those acts, namely Ozzy & Trent, actually have an open dialogue with their fanbases, actively run them, and are supportive of their fans. All of those things - GN'R is not, and hasn't ever been, at least in the new era.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'm not saying Axl is blameless, I'm just saying I don't think he lies to us in a premeditated fashion. Like there's no reason to think he wants to lie to us.

He says things that HE thinks are true (eg that all the various people who he says fucked him over have fucked him over). Now to an objective person that may or may not be true. Like you might think actually it was axl's fault and not the guy he is blaming, but axl is saying what he himself believes, that it's someone else's fault. That's his perception of the event, and it may or may not be wrong, but it's not a lie.

I also don't see why he would lie about the better video. What's to be gained from a lie? It's far more likely to me that a video did exist but for whatever reason they changed their mind.

Now the complications might be objectively legit - like a legal problem - or they might be subjective only to axl - like he watches it back and it makes him go into a rage or something - but even if he's wrong to be like that or whatever is really happening - it's still a complication...lol...see what I mean...otherwise if i'm wrong - what are you meaning as the actual lies? I feel its just that axl's interpretation of events is usually quite different from others, but I don't think he's a liar.

I'm not saying its a full on normal band either. It's a bit wierd. But I do think it could be less of a band...i mean it could be axl and faceless musicans we don't even know the names of. Like who played on cindy lauper's records from the 80s? We don't know or care. But we do get told who is in GNR...and they do say they got to be creative.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Axl lied a couple of times (2006 press release etc.), but we all do, I think. However Axl doesn't lie all the time, but he's extremely bi-polar and unreliable. In a minute he thinks CD is done, in the next it'll take another month to finish, then another 3 years. I think that we (online fans) and the 'players' see his 'better part' when he appears. I don't wanna overanalize him, but as numerous sourced admitted, Axl often shuts down completely. Then you won't see him for days, weeks or months. He calls the band when he's ready to work and frees them to do their things when he's not ready. He's a funny person when meets Beck on a plane, but in the other 11 months of the year he doesn't leave his house.

I don't think we'll see or hear anything from him in the next couple of months or years. He wasn't satisfied with CD sales (Bumble insinuates it), he's in war with his record company, the last tours with CD promised weren't  successful enough(considering how much risk a promoter takes with working with him) and the release of CD killed the myth and didn't live up to the expectations. His new band is replacements of replecaments and the line-up is getting weaker and weaker.
I think he'll do what he did a decade ago: sit down and try to find out what to do next.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Bumblefoot plays on a wee song that was on Rock Radio Scotland this morning, check out the playlist:

http://www.rockradio.co.uk/scotland/roc … /b69xfm44/

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Axl lied a couple of times (2006 press release etc.), but we all do, I think. However Axl doesn't lie all the time, but he's extremely bi-polar and unreliable. In a minute he thinks CD is done, in the next it'll take another month to finish, then another 3 years. I think that we (online fans) and the 'players' see his 'better part' when he appears. I don't wanna overanalize him, but as numerous sourced admitted, Axl often shuts down completely. Then you won't see him for days, weeks or months. He calls the band when he's ready to work and frees them to do their things when he's not ready. He's a funny person when meets Beck on a plane, but in the other 11 months of the year he doesn't leave his house.

I don't think we'll see or hear anything from him in the next couple of months or years. He wasn't satisfied with CD sales (Bumble insinuates it), he's in war with his record company, the last tours with CD promised weren't  successful enough(considering how much risk a promoter takes with working with him) and the release of CD killed the myth and didn't live up to the expectations. His new band is replacements of replecaments and the line-up is getting weaker and weaker.
I think he'll do what he did a decade ago: sit down and try to find out what to do next.

This is a great post.  I think at various points the project was finished but Axl found faults somewhere and kept on delaying its release.  Isn't he overly sensitive as well?  That doesn't mix well with the online criticism that he receives from the fans and probably explains why he has a standoffish relationship with the hardcore fanbase. 

I just wish there was someone in his "inner circle" who would have told him this record is done, the more you tweak the worse the songs will sound.  Unfortunately he is surrounded by beggars and hangers on who don't have his best interests at heart.

The intriguing character of Axl Rose is probably the one reason why I continue to pay attention to this band and will in the future.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, but it's no longer intriguing. It's tired, old hat, boring and predictable.

At this point, Axl releasing new albums each year, touring constantly, doing videos & interviews, and showing up to shows on time, would actually be shocking, unpredictable, and rebellious behavior.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Arguing about who's assumptions are right? C'mon....

Board footer