You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: Bumble playing with Lita Ford

gnfnraxl wrote:
madagas wrote:

IMO, Hair Metal is frowned upon because it sucked. Simple as that. There was some good bands but overall, it was brutally bad.

I'm not frowning on hair metal more than other artists.  I like some hair metal bands.  I like Def Leppard, Bon Jovi and a few others.  While I like Def Leppard, I have to admit that they ain't what they used to be as far as popularity goes.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Like with all things, people don't remember the one or two good bands. They remember the ocean of horrible ones. The production on hair metal was not bad, but eventually even the guitar licks & riffs became cliche. The lyrics were even worse.

Too many bands singing about having a good time. The ballads also became cliched and overly sappy. Songs like I Saw Red (Warrant), Fly To The Angels (Slaughter) & Love of a Lifetime (Firehouse) come to mind as prime examples.

I think many look back on that, and go "omfg, I cannot believe I liked that stuff as a kid", just like disco. Then you have a whole 'nother group of fans, that still go out to shows of these bands, like loyalists, because they're still trying to find a pipeline to their childhood, and reliving it each night.

For the life of me however, i've never understood why GN'R are lumped into the same category, and I think outside of the media, most don't. I still see people wear their Guns N' Roses shirts, right after their Metallica shirts.

Grunge and heavy metal held up the best. Modern rock today owes it's ASS to bands like Metallica & Alice In Chains. Alternative rock is basically Nirvana, watered down and recycled too.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

How dare you Axlin.  "Bed of Roses" is a Bon Jovi tune.  The Warrant ballad you were looking for is "Heaven". And remember "every bad boy has a soft side."

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

You're right, that's the wrong song. Warrant did have a song called Bed of Roses. Not what I was talking about.

*FIXED*

As for every bad boy having a 'soft side', that's cool, as long as those 'soft' songs are like November Rain, or Nothing Else Matters, or Brother.

That's when you take hard bands, they have a soft side, and it's cool. Heck, I even give props to Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home". Good song, that turned out to be whored out by other bands conceptually to make their ballads.

The problem with those late 80's/early 90's bands, and their soft sides, are when they were so sappy and so cliched, that they lost all effect, even for a ballad. They came across as uninspired, and corny. KISS "Forever", great song, that's made fun of today, and rightfully so. It's a song stuck in the time it was made in.

I just feel that there's a timelessness and originality to GNR's ballads, and I say that unbiased. I still think November Rain & Don't Cry are kick ass ballads that still hold up, and yes, even the bloated Estranged which was of course GNR's "jump the dolphin" moment.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Here's the song I was actually thinking of, especially this really fucking LAME video. You'll get the idea...

Ladies and gentlemen...

Warrant - I Saw Red (1990)

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

IMO, Hair Metal is frowned upon because it sucked. Simple as that. There was some good bands but overall, it was brutally bad.

While I did like various aspects of the era, I really cant disagree. There were quite a few great songs to come out of that scene, but no killer albums. Take GNR out of this equation, and what's the strongest album? I would have to say Eat Em and Smile and Slippery When Wet, maybe Stay Hungry, and for a scene that lasted so long, should have been more memorable albums.

Poison was a solid band, but each of their albums only had a handful of good tracks. Hell, even their greatest hits has filler.

Anyone remember Tuff? The guy actually had a good voice, but they were a third rate Poison clone. While I didn't like how MTV force fed the grunge movement to young people at the time(my only resistance to it even though I loved some of those bands), I was certainly glad that Cornell, Cobain, and Staley were bitchslapping these lame acts into irrelevancy.

I know some people our age frown upon grunge and wish it had never happened, but when hearing tripe like this....

....are you REALLY surprised that....

knocked them out cold and sent them all back home?

Those hair band types should be thanking their lucky stars that MTV didn't latch on to Soundgarden's Hands All Over in 1989. Would have destroyed them just like Outshined and Teen Spirit did two years later. MTV couldn't latch on to it because while it is overall a strong album, it had no true follow up single to it.

they're still trying to find a pipeline to their childhood

I was about to say something similar, but you pretty much hit the nail on the head. People remember that era for the innocence and want to relive it, but even though I loved my life in junior high, I have no plans to listen to most of that garbage anytime soon.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

People always talk about Man In The Box, but this track right here was enough to murder even Metallica.

This is AIC's Welcome To The Jungle as far as i'm concerned. 9

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Oh I agree. I have stated before that We Die Young could have easily been the anthem to usher in grunge instead of Teen Spirit. MTV basically had its choice of three songs(Teen Spirit, Outshined, We Die Young), and ran with Teen Spirit.

Man in the Box became the hit because they were touring with metal bands at the time and it gave the song a huge push.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

grunge happened to hit when most of the big hair bands were on hiatus mid album

most of the cool albums from gnr, metallica, crue, etc in like 89-91 and then grunge exploded in late 91 with nevermind, ten, badmotorfinger, dirt, core, all come out within a year then followed up with sophmore albums in 93 and 94 while the bigger bnads from the previous genre were still working on new material, touring over seas, getting old and imploding...the decline was about out of site out of mind as much as anythign else...that and the grunge stuff was so damn great..right place right time

Board footer