You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Bumble playing with Lita Ford

Axlin16 wrote:

And if you really think about it, GN'R really released the UYI albums at the precise right time. Any later, and they might've done half the albums sales they did. Metallica was alright as a bridge, and the Black Album was gonna set the world on fire regardless with it's radio-ready song + great ass songs = hit album.

But when you really look at it, grunge took off, because those bands from that era had blown their load creatively. GN'R imploded, and despite being a hit album, The Spaghetti Incident was negatively received. Metallica waited until 1996 to put out new material, and was a total reinvention for them going from metal to more of a... well.... Guns N' Roses vibe.

I think alot of those hair bands were totally blindsided. In 1990, Firehouse had 'fire' and were a band with a hit single, and by late 1991, they were having doors slammed in their face. Grunge took off like a rocket.

Then Alice In Chains does the Sap EP, and shows that grunge bands can even do BALLADS better than those bands. I remember there being an argument, that grunge bands couldn't do softer or more reflective songs. Uh - WRONG.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I always thought it was funny how Jani Lane said he went to the record company, and he actually witnessed with his own eyes the Warrant promo on the wall being removed for Alice In Chains.

The tide was turning and there was nothing that was going to stop it.

While not grunge, Jane's Addiction played a huge role in the transformation.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

warrant was never a "big gun" either, more of a mid-card act with a couple big hits

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Then Alice In Chains does the Sap EP, and shows that grunge bands can even do BALLADS better than those bands. I remember there being an argument, that grunge bands couldn't do softer or more reflective songs. Uh - WRONG.

Actually, other than SAP, Temple of the Dog, and to an extent Pearl Jam, grunge never went the ballad route, which was a surprise. They probably believed a backlash would occur, and rightfully so.

Put Call Me A Dog on Badmotorfinger and All Night Thing on Superunknown, and it completely alters the perception of the band. The slower tempo tracks worked better and were more presentable as a Temple one off, and as far as SAP goes, thats an AIC album in name only. It was basically another collab with various musicians from the scene, most notably Cornell.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

tuff, trixter and slaughter 16

thats just classic james big_smile

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Actually, other than SAP, Temple of the Dog, and to an extent Pearl Jam, grunge never went the ballad route, which was a surprise. They probably believed a backlash would occur, and rightfully so.

Put Call Me A Dog on Badmotorfinger and All Night Thing on Superunknown, and it completely alters the perception of the band. The slower tempo tracks worked better and were more presentable as a Temple one off, and as far as SAP goes, thats an AIC album in name only. It was basically another collab with various musicians from the scene, most notably Cornell.

What about Jar of Flies?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I gotta disagree with you here. Pearl Jam, for one, did do ballads. The song Black off the Ten album was a big hit for them and is still played on radio today. PJ had quite a few ballads. I even consider AIC's Down In A Hole a ballad and one of the best I've ever heard. Look at Mad Season, too. Layne was fantastic at ballads. River Of Deceit still gives me a chill.

I would count a few songs off Down On The Upside as ballads... I mean, c'mon, Switch Open? And it actually showed what a great ballad writer Cornell is.

I can hear the grunge Ballad influence all over Sorry.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Whoa, interesting correlation there ID.

If they would've stripped Sorry down to an acoustic song with Axl's soft Don't Cry-ish vocals, with Bucket primarily doing acoustic, and then closing it out with that solo, it would've been a grunge ballad.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

"Don't Follow" by Alice In Chains is a good ballad.  Grunge bands certainly joined the ballad party, no doubt.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I love Don't Follow & I Stay Away, but I definitely think it was AIC's "Use Your Illusion" moment.

Wasn't really fair for people to roll around talking those songs up, but then turning around and calling November Rain & Estranged - "gay".

Board footer