You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Is GNR/Motley possible? (No info, I'm just dreaming)

monkeychow wrote:

I think if DJ was out he'd have updated his website to reflect the changes.

Or maybe I'm just wishful thinking. The more i've looked into him - the more I think he's going to be great in GNR.

Assuming Axl's voice is still in rasp mode as it was in 2006-7 tour, i think a line up with that Axl, then with DJ and Bumble sharing leads will be the best line up since the UYI tour.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think if DJ was out he'd have updated his website to reflect the changes.

Or maybe I'm just wishful thinking. The more i've looked into him - the more I think he's going to be great in GNR.

Assuming Axl's voice is still in rasp mode as it was in 2006-7 tour, i think a line up with that Axl, then with DJ and Bumble sharing leads will be the best line up since the UYI tour.

Personally I'd remove it from my site if I was DJ.  BUT maybe his line of thinking is "who will notice?"  Or more importantly "who cares?"  Go and ask Joe Public who did replace Robin Finck in GNR.  They'll probably say they don't know who Finck is and that he was in GNR and left.  And they'll probably finish by saying who cares?  Bring back Slash.  Sad but true.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

that you don't think DJ will be in the band? I don't think there's anything to suggest he's gone is there?

There's nothing to suggest he is there either.

But there is.

1. He was announced publicly as in the band only recently.
2. He's still mentioned on the official site.

In 97-98, that exact same thing could have been said with the Axl, Dizzy, Huge, Finck, Stinson, and Abbruzzese/Vrenna line up.

Guess what?

The line up never did anything and practically didn't even exist.

The recording sessions are always so sporadic regardless of line up changes and lack of touring, so GNR as an actual entity doesn't even truly exist until they hit the stage.

Who is in the band?

Axl Rose wrote:

It’s more about who’s on the album right now.

Until they hit the stage in the future, I think that answer is just as valid as the nanosecond he typed it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Which is pretty much the Trent Reznor way of looking at it, like so many others have said before.

I just don't count the downtime. Period. It's too sporadic.

I've always looked at it as Guns N' Roses (1985-1994), Inactive Period I (1995-1998), Guns N' Roses (1999-2002), Inactive II (2003-2005), Guns N' Roses (2006-2008), and I think now is the start of Inactive III (2009+), and we'll see where it ends.

Just because someone is announced as a band member doesn't mean shit, until they step on a stage and play with them, and even in that case, sometimes it doesn't mean anything. Look at Paul Tobias. Listed as a member for YEARS, and performed couple shows with them live. The rest was CD, and his contributions to previous songs in the past like the Sympathy cover, and Back Off Bitch.

That's called a SESSION musician. Not a band member. And so far, it's looking like DJ was some guy they just invited to jam with them for a couple weeks.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

It was mainly a general statement about the issue and not really directed at you. That whole "you were never promised" tripe and other assorted Axl quotes that nutswingers keep next to their bed like a Bible really rile my feathers.

apology accepted 16

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
faldor wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f353/ … 089ecd.jpg
Doubt it  Nikki Slammed the new gnr line up at the time CD was released.
Axl lashed out at him too when he was posting on the forums saying that certain recent bigraphies were un factual and tried to re-write history and take on "ok" band and turn them into a "great" band.

HAvent the patience to track down the Axl  comments but now that I think of it they are in the Del James interview

Nikkis comment:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=109225

He DID say that, but his opinion may have changed now that his good friend DJ is a part of the current lineup.  Maybe he sees things in a different light now as DJ may have given him some insight into the situation rather than just making his own assumptions.

Obviously if it happened, DJ would be the reason.  Without him I'd say there's next to zero chance but with him, it could be a possibility.  I'd love to see it, never gotten around to seeing Motley live.

Oh good point. I really had been wondering a while back how DJ joining would afect relations between DJ and Nikki AND Axl and Nikki

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Who is in the band?

Axl Rose wrote:

It’s more about who’s on the album right now.

Until they hit the stage in the future, I think that answer is just as valid as the nanosecond he typed it.

Perhaps.

But I also think maybe that comment was defensive about the robin situation. Robin's status was unknown, and we know bucket isn't around. So I'm guessing Axl didn't want to get into a discussion about how the line up has revolved again.

And given he said something about them having ideas to tour but no actual plans, it didn't make sence for him to worry about finding a new robin then.

Not to sound like a nutswinger. But to an extent I feel he can't win. He did say there were no fixed plans for a tour, then he announces Robin's replacment, which is what we want them to do, let us know what the fuck happens and who's in the band, and then because a subsequent tour announcment doesn't come within a few months people assume DJs gone and the band is over again.

The band is clearly in an inactive phase, but it looks to me like the next line up will be DJ, Bumble, Richard, Chris, Dizzy, Tommy, and Axl - and there's currently not really any more reason to assume it's not.

To me it's wierd that axl didn't do any promo, and it's wierd that he hasn't made firm plans for a tour after releasing the album. But he's been doing things his own way for a long time, and this DJ stuff doesn't change anything to me.

The only difference is that now if he does decide to tour, or record more, we know who the likely players are, which is better than relying on Fink...who'se long gone. And given DJ seems to be a very capiable player, if anything the whole situation fills me with excitment that if and when the ball does get rolling again...the next tour should be better than the 2006 tour was (which i enjoyed anyway).

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

But see, right now is a different kind of issue the fanbase has with Axl.

It's not about 'no info'. He took steps, at least in the form of chats, and some scripted interviews, as well as DJ's announcement to get word out.

It's the letting CD drop and die people have an issue with. They sat around for a decade, waiting for this album to drop and what would come after, that it would return some normal operations to GN'R, and they'd finally get this new band off the ground.

Instead it was a blip on the radar that peaked at #3, and vanished in no time, and no one really gave a fuck, except the fans.

Axl Rose can not honestly sell me a bill of goods, that the 'band' was happy with this. He must have Michael Jackson-type pockets to keep those guys on the payroll, because I know if I signed up in a band, and was cost dollars because my vocalist didn't want to get his ass off of Madden for six goddamn seconds to do some promo to drive album sales, i'd be suing the mother fucker. Yes I know, artists don't get much from album sales, but album sales also help drive interest in concerts, merchandise, and yes, even solo ventures, all of which suffered because of Axl's refusal to play ball. If Axl didn't want a reunion, he fucked himself over more, because he DROVE UP interest in the damn thing.

CD kind of reminds me of The Shield. I remember a time where The Shield was one of the great shows on TV, and no one could wait to see how it ends. The day came, it was great, and virtually no one cared anymore at that point. It was a blip on the radar.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Not to sound like a nutswinger. But to an extent I feel he can't win..

He cant win because he doesn't do anything.

Could Joe Montana have won Super Bowl XXIV by sitting in the locker room for four quarters sulking about Dwight Clark no longer being on the team? Would Audioslave have succeeded by Cornell doing two interviews and a fan chat whining about his altercation with Shepard at Soundgarden's last show? Does Pee Wee Herman find his bike if he continually bitches about Francis being a cancer instead of dealing with the task at hand?

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Lofton dropped a Pee Wee Herman reference. Instant karma. 16

Board footer