You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Marc Canter Talks on MyGnR

Sky Dog wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Can any of you guys confirm; did Slash petition Perla for a divorce shortly after that time but then withdrew?Maybe he was pissed with her pushing him around and finally decided to make a stand.

What I think a lot of people including Marc Canter who comment on this break up appear to get wrong is that they seem to believe that because Axl shows more righteous indignation over what went on in the break up than Slash currently does then it must be Slash who is the ultimate villain here. i.e Axl is madder so he must be right.

Take this comment for example:

“As you already know the reason Axl and Slash don't talk is because of all the dumb shit Slash has said about Axl over the past 14 years.”

Dumb Shit? It’s been tame compared to what Axl has been levelling at Slash in response so why is the focus on Slash only here? The fact of the matter is that Axl never sued Slash for slander which indicates to me Slash's version of events is not a million miles off the mark, regardless of how angry Axl is about things he said

“Sticks and stones won't hurt Axl but names and things that Axl believes not to be true don't go over well with him.”

You note he uses the term ‘Axl believes not to be true’ to cover his ass here. That’s all fair enough but I think it’s a balanced opinion to say that Axl’s take on things, especially in matters of where the blame lies in issues past and present is skewed to say the least. I do not recall ever hearing Axl accept full undiluted responsibility for anything that has gone wrong in this band.
Slash has said he regrets being so bitter and for saying some of the things he said against Axl. Axl has never given a centimetre.

The strangest thing for me is if Axl is only angry because of the things Slash said or did, why is Izzy not singled out for any hatred from Axl? Let's look at Izzy's exit from the band; he left the band first, on the eve of a big leg of the UYI tour to boot and followed it up with a scathing interview in Rollingstone where he directed most of the bile at Axl.
If Axl is so truthful and has such a solid set of ethics, why does Izzy not get the same treatment?

I note Marc side stepped that question when it was put to him by one of the forum members.

Not directly on your point, but I think Axl is angrier because Slash sued him on MULTIPLE occasions likely costing Axl a pile of money to defend himself. In the end, AGAIN, they both are to blame for the breakup.:headbang:

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I remember Axl Rose being famous for being a dickhead back in the early 90's, he was one of the most disliked people in pop culture.
I reckon he is sore about Slash more than anyone else because Axl has lived a very quiet unassuming life in the last 15 years or so, and he probably hoped to leave behind that stigma of being a spoilt premadonna douchebag.
But Slash stayed in the public eye over those years, giving interviews and blaming Axl for him not being in GN'R anymore, and basically feeding the fire and constantly reminding the public (or suggesting) who the bad guy in GN'R was.
Therefore Axl was never really allowed to leave that persona behind, no matter how many years he spent in seclusion and out of the public eye. I'll bet he has a deep resentment of Slash because of that, it must be tough being a middle aged guy and the media still chastising you for some of your behaviour in your twenties. All of these "Axl is an asshole" headlines over the years have not came from anyone he has worked with post 94, and thats really hard on the guy. I dont blame him for being sore with the media either, they are the ones who kept regurgitating those old tales which basically demonised him and made sure he remained a hate figure.
I think we all know Axl is a sensitive guy, so all the negative comments and sly digs made at his expense over the last 15 years or so when he has been living that quiet lifestyle, must really have hurt him and some of the wounds will have went deeper than others.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

i am not negative towards Axl cause of Slash. I am negative towards Axl because of his lack of interest in doing shit.

Its like he wanted the GNR name so bad and he had this vision and he hasn't done anything now he owns the name etc.

Its like, if the old guys were really holding u down, what the fuck is the excuse now?

I say Slash got a little big and thought he didn't need Axl but on the other hand I can understand Slash also thinking "Why does Axl get final say on all the songs?"

Right, I mean Slash hands him 12 songs, why does he get the power to pick and choose what to use and no one else gets any input? That is hardly fair.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I remember Axl Rose being famous for being a dickhead back in the early 90's, he was one of the most disliked people in pop culture.
I reckon he is sore about Slash more than anyone else because Axl has lived a very quiet unassuming life in the last 15 years or so, and he probably hoped to leave behind that stigma of being a spoilt premadonna douchebag.
But Slash stayed in the public eye over those years, giving interviews and blaming Axl for him not being in GN'R anymore, and basically feeding the fire and constantly reminding the public (or suggesting) who the bad guy in GN'R was.
Therefore Axl was never really allowed to leave that persona behind, no matter how many years he spent in seclusion and out of the public eye. I'll bet he has a deep resentment of Slash because of that, it must be tough being a middle aged guy and the media still chastising you for some of your behaviour in your twenties. All of these "Axl is an asshole" headlines over the years have not came from anyone he has worked with post 94, and thats really hard on the guy. I dont blame him for being sore with the media either, they are the ones who kept regurgitating those old tales which basically demonised him and made sure he remained a hate figure.
I think we all know Axl is a sensitive guy, so all the negative comments and sly digs made at his expense over the last 15 years or so when he has been living that quiet lifestyle, must really have hurt him and some of the wounds will have went deeper than others.

I guess Vancouver and Philly were Slash's fault also

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Seriously?  Look Slash said some bad stuff (not a lot) about Axl over the years.  Axl has done far more to damage his own reputation than anything Slash has ever said about him has.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Axl's problem is he meets no one in the middle. He gives his opinion, which he's entitled to, AND refuses to play the game. Well that's a double whammy. Not only are you 'difficult', you also give people the impression that you think you're above them, even if that was never his intention.

Slash cooperates, and plays the game, which is why he's given FAR more lee way in his statements.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Take this comment for example:

“As you already know the reason Axl and Slash don't talk is because of all the dumb shit Slash has said about Axl over the past 14 years.”

Dumb Shit?

For years I have looked forward to someone posting this long list of "dumb shit" that Slash has spewed towards Axl since 1995.

I have a feeling I'll be waiting even longer, and no, one youtube vid being posted featuring a sentence cannot be classified as a long list.

I've even issued triple dog dares to no avail.

Like madagas said, I think a lot of the animosity stems from the lawsuits and not from various comments made by Slash over the years.

Great post by the way. Good to see you back.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think the reason people in the general public assume it's all axl's fault is connected to his image in the media and the subsequent events.

We've heard that in private Axl, when you know him,  is a sensitive and friendly guy. But the public didn't see that side of him, they saw the anger, the riots and his awesome stage presence.

Then slash - apparently a junkie for many years - says in his novel about how he used to smash up stuff, and I get the impression maybe he's kind of forceful in his own way, but he always manages so give interviews in a quiet and  unassuming way - you only see that side of him and he seems very nice.

So then they have a fight.

Then what happens - Slash keeps putting out music. Axl (until recently) doesn't. Slash goes on to make several bands, one of which is mostly full of ex-gnr guys who he can still work with. Axl keeps hemoraging bandmates - both from his old GNR and his new versions.

The public perception is that Axl is impossible to work with and slash not.

And that's why the general public takes Slash's side. Because if u only have the shallow facts to go on like that. It looks suspect.

In real life I think maybe everyone of us has no idea, and that both Axl and Slash are complex guys and probably both at fault. But you can see why people get the wrong idea about Axl. His PR is terrible. He really needs someone to fix his image in the media.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Axl keeps hemoraging bandmates - both from his old GNR and his new versions.

The public perception is that Axl is impossible to work with and slash not.

And that's why the general public takes Slash's side. Because if u only have the shallow facts to go on like that. It looks suspect.

In real life I think maybe everyone of us has no idea, and that both Axl and Slash are complex guys and probably both at fault. But you can see why people get the wrong idea about Axl. His PR is terrible. He really needs someone to fix his image in the media.

Agreed.  But the fact that guys keep on leaving the band regardless of whether or not its Slash, Buckethead, Finck, Duff does reflect badly on Axl and adds to his negative image.  Axl could just fix this by just releasing music in a timely fashion and showing up on time at the shows but he refuses to do this.  It makes me think he doesn't care on some level about PR and would rather do things his way than conform.  If he wants to improve his image he should just follow George Costanza and just do the opposite of what he usually does.

I think both guys are to blame in the original GNR split, but the CD fiasco has to be put at his feet.  As buzzsaw mentioned, Slash had nothing to do with the missed shows or the long delay in the release of the album.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Like madagas said, I think a lot of the animosity stems from the lawsuits and not from various comments made by Slash over the years.

Great post by the way. Good to see you back.

Thanks James! I never left just lurk every day!! I admire the crew for keeping this going in this quiet time.

Question for you James, did Booker Floyd ever come in here from HTGTH? I'd have been interested in what he/she had to say about the last few months.

Just to go back over some of the topics covered in this thread:
I Slash's solo album will be as big in the US as say the Foo Fighters and not a dud like some are claiming.

Slash appears with Elton John, Chris Martin and Bono at the end of the Bruno film; that really brought it home to me just where Slash sits on the roost these days - the fucking top. 21

If Axl hates Slash just for the lawsuits he should hate Gilby (who he paid out to), Stephen (who he paid out to) and Duff (who sued him along with Slash). He has made up with two of those men and has indicated he would play with the third.

I think he hates Slash because he  won the battle for GNR but in reality he knows now that he lost the war. Why blame yourself when your staff will convince you not to?

Board footer