You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: Best Album of the 80s Elimination- Round 3

I can.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

AtariLegend wrote:

If any of you guys are in your early twenties or younger and went to a school or college that had a large section of "The Police" fans, then so be it.

...But I honestly think it's be easier to go into town and find someone wearing a "Ride The Lightning" or "Master Of Puppets" T-shirt, than it would a "Synchronicity" T-shirt.

AtariLegend wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Outside of rock, Metallica influenced no one. The Police & Beastie Boys influenced multiple genres.

Metallica have sold more albums than both of them combined by the way.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

If any of you guys are in your early twenties or younger and went to a school or college that had a large section of "The Police" fans, then so be it.

...But I honestly think it's be easier to go into town and find someone wearing a "Ride The Lightning" or "Master Of Puppets" T-shirt, than it would a "Synchronicity" T-shirt.

I agree with that. Im 21 and I would see a lot more Metallica fans around, but to be honest I think its all marketing. Metallica are marketed to those in their mid to late teens. The long haired types, who consider themselves outside the mainstream, deep types, who are not influenced by social trends...(excluding the social trends that cause them to wear colourful socks , get facial piercing and wear Ride the Lightening t-shirts- Im not trying to be negative here,teenage years are awkward and people like to identify themselves with different groups that seem to be going through the same experiences as them. We all fall into different social groups no matter how individual and unique we think we are.)
Anyway, I think that just because a band has a larger following than another does not go to show that they are better.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Outside of rock, Metallica influenced no one. The Police & Beastie Boys influenced multiple genres.

Def leppard have sold more than Metallica. You don't hear me claiming that they are they are more influential than Metallica.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Ride the Lightning wasn't even a popcorn fart in 80s culture. Some 17 year old kid wearing a Lightning shirt on the outskirts of London doesn't change that fact. Just means mommy gave him 20 bucks to go to Hot Topic.

The band didn't even hit pop culture's radar until Puppets, and even then it was a cult thing. When Justice came out was when everyone and their grandma knew who the band was. That's when the 30 year old virgins started whining that 12 year old kids like me were walking around wearing Damage Inc. shirts.

Only revisionist history paints those early records as monumental. In the Kill Em All-Ride the Lightning era, they had trouble filling clubs with 20-30 year old dudes.

Go watch Cliff Em All for an example.

Inflated album sales mean nothing. Every soccer mom on the planet bought their entire discography in 1991-92 after the Black Album got huge. Jane from Podunk, Wisconsin buying Ride the Lightning in 1992 because she liked Enter Sandman doesn't mean diddly squat in the album's legacy.

Axl S wrote:

The Beastie Boys were basically a joke band and they were funny but their biggest cultural influence was making it cool to wear a VW logo round your neck.

You really believe that? A joke band? Entire genres wouldn't exist without them.

AtariLegend wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Def leppard have sold more than Metallica. You don't hear me claiming that they are they are more influential than Metallica.

I agree with your first post, as for the second....

Metallica have sold approximately 35 million more than Def Leppard.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … emID=44388

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Axl S wrote:

The Beastie Boys were basically a joke band and they were funny but their biggest cultural influence was making it cool to wear a VW logo round your neck.

You really believe that? A joke band? Entire genres wouldn't exist without them.

I do believe that and I don't care what genres exist because of them, their music was silly, fun and good for a laugh. Nothing more.

Also lets talk cultural influence again. Van Gogh, when he was alive and actually painting he was incredibly underappreciated and it was only after his death that his work was acknowledged. Now because his work wasn't appreciated when it was first out there does that mean it had no cultural influence? No.

Like I said earlier you find many more artists citing Metallica as an influence than you find them citing The Police. Hell one of your favourite artists James, M.I.A., is wearing a Ride The Lightning t-shirt in the Paper Planes video. That's a pretty big crossover culturally if you ask me.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Like I said earlier you find many more artists citing Metallica as an influence than you find them citing The Police. Hell one of your favourite artists James, M.I.A., is wearing a Ride The Lightning t-shirt in the Paper Planes video. That's a pretty big crossover culturally if you ask me.

M.I.A. is my age. I'm not surprised that she listened to Metallica in her youth. She also listens to REM, Beastie Boys,etc.  Most people from that culture listen to those bands.

Amazing that people are knocking The Police here. Go listen to Synchronicity please.

Board footer