You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: Best Album of the 80s Elimination- Round 3

Axl S wrote:

Right a second ago. It's "only 30 year old virgins listened to Metallica until Justice came out" then it's "i'm no surprised people in their youth in the 80s listened to Ride The Lightning, it was fairly common"?

Which is it?

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

NIN

Beasties while NIN is still around? Ehhhhhh

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Right a second ago. It's "only 30 year old virgins listened to Metallica until Justice came out" then it's "i'm no surprised people in their youth in the 80s listened to Ride The Lightning, it was fairly common"?

Which is it?

Justice came out in my youth. I listened to it. Ride the Lightning came out in my early youth. I didn't listen to it(at the time).

Gonna need to dig a bit deeper to try and make someone who lived that era slip up.

You also got my quote wrong. I said Metallica, not Ride the Lightning. I guarantee that she was not listening to Ride the Lightning in her teen years. She was listening to Justice like everyone else, maybe Puppets.

Fuck, she probably never listened to it. She probably sent Cherry to some bootleg stand in Brooklyn to grab her a shirt to wear for that vid.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

Okay well that's fair enough but you've still not addressed my point I made earlier: Just because it wasn't acknowledged when it first came out doesn't mean it couldn't have and didn't have any influence on culture later. It just didn't have influence in the time it was released.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Okay well that's fair enough but you've still not addressed my point I made earlier: Just because it wasn't acknowledged when it first came out doesn't mean it couldn't have and didn't have any influence on culture later. It just didn't have influence in the time it was released.

I understand that point. Not everything has to catch on immediately. Look at NIN. It took two years for that to do anything. Its not even truly an 80s record, and I bet casual NIN fans think it came out in either 91 or 94. That is an influential record that helped define a genre.

My issue with Lightning is while certainly respected in thrash circles, it had very little significance overall in not just the 80s, but later decades. In fact, Out of the "big 4" Metallica albums(Kill-Justice), Lightning had the least impact of the four. Nobody can really look back at that record and say it did anything. Kill Em All got them some attention and will forever be known for its iconic album cover, Puppets started to put them on the map with a hardcore base and touring with Ozzy certainly didn't hurt, and with Justice the kids like me started paying attention. Black album sent them into the stratosphere.

How you can hype up Lightning and disregard Synchronicity is mind boggling. There are a few bands that truly defined the 80s, and The Police are one of those bands. They broke up in the early 80s but left their imprint on the entire decade.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

Well on the point of me liking Lightning of Synchronicity thats purely personal preference. And whilst that album may have had a bigger impact, doesn't mean its better. I mean Ride The Lightning like I said earlier is definitely a better album than Kill Em All and just because it didn't have as big an impact doesn't change that. This is best album, not most influential, important etc etc. And imo Ride The Lightning is a better album than the Police (and Kill Em All for that matter. I mean despite the fact you say Kill Em All had more impact, it didn't make the list and Ride did.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

every metallica album up to and including black was a stepping stone for the metal genre...when lightning came out 'tallica was still pretty undergorund...its like the same argument peopel are using to vote off nin...unless you were into the thrash metal scene you didnt know about this album

and for whoever claimed that Ktulu shows off metallica's song writing ability....its a Mustaine song that they stole after they booted him..anyway Synchronicity and Lighting are both pretty solid albums...there are quite a few that should see the door before they even get a vote IMO

never been a Beasties fan though, there are a few funny tracks but they make my head hurt

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

I know Ktulu is a Mustaine song. Same with the title track to that album and the best tracks on Kill Em All, all Mustaine. Was just saying he was in Metallica when it was written and is therefore credit to that era of Metallica as a band.

Besides if I really wanted to give an example that shows of Metallica's song writing ability I just say ...And Justice For All. Entire album front to back is them at their creative peak.

Note: While it sounds like I'm a Metallica nutcase, I'll assure you it's the opposite. Megadeth nutswinger all the way.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Metallica have sold more albums than both of them combined by the way.

Def leppard have sold more than Metallica. You don't hear me claiming that they are they are more influential than Metallica.

I agree with your first post, as for the second....

Metallica have sold approximately 35 million more than Def Leppard.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … emID=44388

... I did not know that!!! That is impressive!

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

For the record Stuart Copeland is one of the best drummers of all time

Board footer