You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Fernando's link to leaks? And the craziness that is gnr

faldor wrote:
copperye wrote:

The UK reunion would've been Axl's attempt to regain a portion of the back catalogue publishing rights. When Geffen closed their tap in 2004, Sanctuary Group were stupid enough to take on CD's ongoing funding, while the company was already facing serious financial difficulties. The following year, Axl sold his share of the publishing rights to Merck & Co, as an earning method as well as to alleviate the debts he'd accumulated with SG. The reunion contract would've earned Axl the remaining 2/3 of the publishing rights, which would've then been split between him and SG.

According to Ross Halfin, Axl and Slash started talking (through intermediaries, it seems) about Welcome to the Jungle: The Very Best of Guns N' Roses in mid/late 2005. Slash visited Axl's house in October, while frustrated with VR's lack of progress with Libertad. He met Beta instead of Axl, was a tad drunk and said some things without putting much thought into it. Axl was obviously roaring with laughter after he heard that one, and took the next step, which was introducing Slash and Duff to the idea of a few reunion shows. Izzy was also likely contacted, although he was never in the whole publishing rights mess.

Slash started getting surprisignly civil towards Axl in interviews late into the year and started saying with certain authority that he knew CD would be released soon. Axl resurfaced soon after, but things went kibbosh by March 2006. The fine print was read and examined by the VR camp and they refused the offer. Axl then disclosed Slash's visit to his house and used vague enough wording to remove Slash's comments from whatever their original context was, implying (although not suggesting) that the two had actually met in person. The press release was a thin smokescreen, because it addressed a lawsuit from the preceding year - not really newsworthy on its own. It was an act of retaliation and malice, directed squarely against Slash.

That's a fascinating theory.  That is just a theory right?  But I'm not so sure I'm buying it.  Almost seems to simple.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

That's because it is. The only people who create this complex existance, is GN'R fans themselves.

Axl and Duff themselves said that no such thing ever occurred.

But let me guess... They lied, right?

Let it go already.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

^ What makes everybody think that Axl has so much integrity when it comes to a reunion?

Sure we know which side of the fence Slash and Co. sit on regarding a reunion.  They would likely jump at it in an instant.  I don't believe they have ever made a secret of it.  We also know that Slash loves playing, loves the spotlight and the $$'s that subsequently flow from that. 

I would also say that Slash has been pretty up front about all of that too.  Well for me there is some integrity in that because what you see is what you get with him.

Axl on the other hand it's nowhere near as clear.  He seems to have publicly made it clear he doesn't want a reunion.  He doesn't seem to like the general media spotlight either.  However, my guess would be that he would like to be influential in the music business again and have some sort of impact.  Who wouldn't after having had a taste of being at the top of the mountain.  With that comes a certain amount of fame, influence and importantly $$'s.  They all go hand in hand with success in the music business.

I believe $$'s are a factor in Axl's decision making.  I mean hell why would he have sold his publishing rights to Sanctuary unless he really needed the money?  So if there was some bastardised form of a reunion that was planned at one point which would have given Axl the other guys publishing rights, his "No Reunion" stance would have gone out the window in a second.  Sure he would have probably only been going through the motions for a payday but it's not totally implausable.

It's not about "letting it go", Copperye and others are simply discussing a scenario of what might have almost happened, based upon various things that were occuring at that time.  Trying to fill in the pieces of the puzzle if you will.  Personally I think a reunion is a pretty far off thing now, but could it have got close around that time - YES!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think people are making a bit much out of the publishing deal. Pretty much all artists have a publishing deal. It's pretty normal.

Aussie

Aussie wrote:

How do you mean?  The attempt by Axl to take the publishing deal off the other guys or the fact that Axl sold his publishing back to Sanctuary a few years ago?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Aussie wrote:

What makes everybody think that Axl has so much integrity when it comes to a reunion?

Amazing isn't it? Basically from the same man who fucking conned the band out of their rights to the name, they expect truth and believe every single word he speaks, and how much love is within him towards the old band.

Axl, in any dimension or alternate reality, will ALWAYS conceptualize a reunion on his terms, both emotionally and financially. Axl doesn't need money, but at the same time, feels that dangling the prospect of making others money, will gain him more power. This whole thing might never had happened, but even still, i'm sure the man has approached every business deal that way concerning GN'R. He'd be stupid not to.

Straight from the playbook of good 'ole JR.

"The Better video will be out in a week or so" or whatever he said. "People will hear new music this year". "We have [insert varying number] of songs completed".

And somehow, it's never "Axl jived us into holding on to that hook a little longer, just smart business". It's "something must've happened. Axl wouldn't lie to us".

"Slash... I love the guy"
"Slash is a cancer"

Yeah, I know... i'm just an arrogant asshole spewing negative propaganda.

Aussie

Aussie wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Axl, in any dimension or alternate reality, will ALWAYS conceptualize a reunion on his terms, both emotionally and financially. Axl doesn't need money, but at the same time, feels that dangling the prospect of making others money, will gain him more power. This whole thing might never had happened, but even still, i'm sure the man has approached every business deal that way concerning GN'R. He'd be stupid not to.

Exactly, perhaps he sensed their desperation for a reunion and therefore decided to have a crack at being totally unreasonable with the terms of one.

I mean if he managed to get their publishing rights simply by doing a handful of tour dates that may be incentive enough to bite your tongue and stick it out.  At the end of it he could be rid of them once and for all.  No publishing rights left by the old guys, means they can never interfere and stick their nose in what he does and have some sort of say ever again.

Perhaps that was something worth pursuing at one point - or at least trying it on?

Axlin08 wrote:

"Slash... I love the guy"

Axl did say that he was misquoted when saying that.

Do I believe him? Yes, I actually do. There's no reason not to.

And why do people insist on hanging on in desperation for a reunion? What's the point?

Grasping at insignificant straws can only go on for so long.

If anything it should seem pretty fucking clear that it'll never happen when Axl Rose himself says that he considers Slash to be cancer and that he'd basically rather die than allow it to ever take place...

At least try to be somewhat realistic.

Aussie

Aussie wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

And why do people insist on hanging on in desperation for a reunion? What's the point?

Grasping at insignificant straws can only go on for so long.

If anything it should seem pretty fucking clear that it'll never happen when Axl Rose himself says that he considers Slash to be cancer and that he'd basically rather die than allow it to ever take place...

At least try to be somewhat realistic.

Mate do you understand what people are actually discussing here??????

I personally am not hanging for a reunion I also specifically said in my post that at this point in time I think one is a pretty far off thing.  BUT what we are discussing is whether one actually got close to happening a few years ago.

Do you understand the difference?

Board footer