You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ronartest2004
 Rep: 2 

Re: Fernando's link to leaks? And the craziness that is gnr

Who all here believes that Fernando has had EVERYTHING to do with the leaks that we have heard/heard about?.

I once posted (on another well-known gnr forum) about how my gut feeling was that Fernando had let some close friends have some tracks from the CD sessions, and when they started leaking he freaked out because the heat probably got put on his ass by his mom, which his mom was probably catching some shit from Axl.

Fernando then lashed out at my next posts, getting EXTREMELY defensive. MSL has all but confirmed that all of the leaks are because of Fernando, and while I know that Axl looks at Beta in a mom type way. We all know that Axl doesnt fuck around when it comes to his music, no matter who you are.

Ive never seen such a band that has so many leaked tracks that have stayed within such a small circle, most of the time with other groups that have unreleased music, you will hear about a few people having the songs...then within a month everyone in the world has them. But these gnr songs are like winning the lottery while riding on a shooting star and landing in a field of 4-leaf clovers...Its so fucking rare to come across anything.

I honestly think the only thing that actually made Axl released CD was when Skewrl got those 9 tracks and leaked them. The only thing that sucks is that couldve been our ace in the hole to get more leaks such as the general...But im glad that he leaked them to everyone or else we probably wouldnt have CD.  But if Skewrl wouldve got in contact with MSL,Im sure that MSL couldve gotten us a shitload more. But again Skewrl was just a fan..not gnr message board fan.

Ok,ive ranted...Now tell me everything that is wrong with what ive posted,lol.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I agree that the Skwerl leaks are the only reason CD was ever released. It was obviously fast tracked for release and they threw three more songs on there to make it a full album.

Only thing that's sad is that I prefer those leaks over the record, even with less songs. Only thing on the album I prefer is the title track. While I do think Sorry is a highlight of the record, I would still take the skwerl leak over what was released in stores.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I haven't listened to the leaks since the album came out.  The album is fine as is to me, maybe I'll revisit those demos somewhere down the line but just like the UYI and AFD demos, it'll be just for kicks and infrequent.

I don't have the best ear for these things, but I don't remember the differences in the leaks and the album tracks being all that great.  There were slight differences in CD, SOD, IRS.  All of which I thought were better.  CITR was the only song that I noticed a big difference in and it did take me awhile to warm up to the song, but I'm fine with it now.  Riad, Prostitute, Maddy, Better, TWAT, iTW, and Shackler's all seemed quite similar to me.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

My understanding was that early on a number of the leaks were sourced from a CD/tracks that Fernando had played/given to some friends.  They then presumably gave them to friends of friends who then leaked them or traded them to people who leaked them, like MSL.

From what I understood, the last big lots of leaks from MSL were effectively sourced right back to Axl's Malibu back door (so to speak).  I'm not saying Fernando intentionally leaked them (because I wouldn't have a clue), perhaps he naievly did something nice for a friend by sharing some demos and he got screwed over by them.

Then there is another school of thought, perhaps at some point in time some of the leaks were intentional.  I don't necessarily mean intentional by Axl and/or the record company collectively, but perhaps people invovled in the GNR camp or the record company with vested interests to get this thing rolling intentionally leaked things to scare Axl into action.  Could Fernando or Beta or someone in the record company be intentinoally behind one of the leaks at some point - maybe?

I don't believe the antiquiet leaks had anything to do with Fernando and the original stuff he supposedly distributed to friends.  The GNR camp seemed to be pretty sure it was someone from UMG - with Merck receiving much of the finger pointing.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

What I don't understand is why any of this is even important anymore. It's been discussed to death.

We've got the album, alot liked it, they didn't care, end of story.

ronartest2004
 Rep: 2 

Well Axlin once some new news hits..we can beat that into the ground too.

But, now that ive heard from a few other people that Fernando very well couldve been involved with the first few rounds of leaks...besides of course the 9 track summer leak. It makes sense as to why he attacked me with such venom when I said what I said about his connection to the leaks.

I do think that some leaks may have been people who worked with Axl who thought he was a dick and decided to get back at them, but Axl has alot of roads covered so he seems to be able to track down whomever may be involved with leaking his material...such as the guy with the famous 15sec "checkmate" clip.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:

Ronartest -- great, great username.

My thoughts:

Fernando was without question the original source of the MSL leaks. His actions and all the evidence point to him. But at this point, I doubt his mistakes would have any consequences for Beta. Beta is here to stay, and virtually nothing would put her job in jeopardy.

As for the 9 song leaks, a couple interesting theories have surfaced.

1. Merck. With the 2006 debacles, and apparently some bad blood between the GnR camp and Merck, its plausible. The one argument I've heard against this is that it would stain his credibility with future bands/projects.

At this point, I don't think anyone involved with the Chinese Democracy project and Axl could come out looking like the bad guy to anyone in the industry.

2. Someone on this forum found the "Barbara ann cogill" link on facebook, didn't they? Who was she married to? That was definitely something interesting, but then again, wouldn't the FBI have gone after that right away? Skwerl knows who gave him the 9 songs, and I think we'll find out eventually.

Also, I definitely think the 9 songs should've been used as leverage for more songs -- but then again, what about the anti quiet leaks wasn't handled poorly?

Between all the vitriol between UMG and Axl, not to mention the tremendous anticipation for the CD, it could've been any number of people, but the fact that Skwerl is keeping it hush hush for now seems to point to someone higher up.

I liked the 9 song leak more than the album because it was effectively the first time I had heard the album, not because the songs were better.

The only song I can even see a case for being better in the leaks is the title track, just because it's so different. Some people preferred the stripped down, bass heavy verse over the final product, but I'm not one of those people.

ITW, IRS, and The Blues definitely improved, I have a hard time seeing how people could disagree with that. TWAT benefited from more guitars, better CD quality sound, but not from the cookie monster shit.

Anyways, if we'd heard the album first and then the 9 songs, none of these people would be proclaiming their love for the leaks.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
mygnrsucks wrote:

2. Someone on this forum found the "Barbara ann cogill" link on facebook, didn't they? Who was she married to? That was definitely something interesting, but then again, wouldn't the FBI have gone after that right away? Skwerl knows who gave him the 9 songs, and I think we'll find out eventually.

Bridget Ann Coghill is the name of Doug Goldstein's fiance.  I found the link thru facebook.

Even if that link is coincidence (plus the spelling of Coghill is with an "h"), you need to look at motive.  Who would have the motive to do it?

Merck - maybe if he was fucked over by Axl.
Goldstein - I believe he was fucked over by Axl so there would be motive.  Plus he finally parted in 2002 (even though he was apparently on the outer much earlier than that) so he was there long enough to have been able to get his hands on the 2002 version of the album (or at least demos for it).
UMG - I would say they probably had all the motive in the world to leak shit and try and get things happening after so many years.
GNR Camp - perhaps someone that may be a shareholder of Blackfrog (other than Axl obviously) may have had motive to get something happening and get some $$'s turning through that publishing company.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

welcome man

anyway i think you're pretty spot on...i also think that CD was more of a leaks album than anything, the track listing is what it is cuz they wanted to clear out what was known to be in circulation

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Whatever Fernando's connection to leaks, it's clear it hasn't affected his relationship with Axl, in the mygnr online chat Axl strongly defended Fernando against a poster who was insulting him.

I'm not sure if the leaks helped the album come out or not. In some ways it did, like Axl said they played the new songs in the 06 tour because of the leaks I think, and I so i don't doubt the positive reaction to most of the stuff peaked some interest. But I also think the last lot of leaks..were after the album was clearly going to come anyway...like the batch that occured after the Shackelr's placment on the game and all of that.

If nemos theory is right it makes me excited to one day hear the rest of the stuff. I think maybe it was a factor in finishing  some songs - like CITR - to replace the old leaks - but then again - certain songs have clearly always been considered strong - like madagascar.

Board footer