You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Re: The NINE INCH NAILS Thread

Scabbie wrote:

I haven't heard any of this yet, but its certainly caught my interest as a NIN fan.

Thought this part was interesting (see 'more info')

'The end result is a wildly varied body of music that we're able to present to the world in ways the confines of a major record label would never have allowed - from a 100% DRM-free, high-quality download, to the most luxurious physical package we've ever created.'

I'd love to see Axl do something like this with GN'R, although I appreciate the music may not lend itself to this kind of release.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Axl can't do something like this. The record label would have to agree to it, which they most likely wouldn't. And Axl isn't going to autograph 200-some albums either.

I still haven't listened to all of Ghosts, but once the physical album comes I'm sure I will.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Ghosts is great, a welcome return to form after the ever-declining series of underachievements began with The Fragile. Seriously, while the albums from Pretty Hate Machine to The Downward Spiral seemed to be pushing Trent's personal abilities and his then-direction of choice to the limit bit by bit, I felt he sort of lost it afterwards. After you've written the ultimate ode to suicide, what's there to share about your worn-down soul? If I'd be mean, I'd say The Fragile stood little apart from its predecessors aside the piano. With Teeth featured some of the most uninspired Trent lyrics and sounds to date; only the latter half of the album is bearable, and that's where he actually gets into his old ways again. Year Zero was a step in the right direction, but I never really got into grips with Trent's enthusiasm with spoken word. The sounds on YZ were good though; he was finally giving up his TDS style for good. While uneven, YZ might get my vote as the best NIN album between TDS and Ghosts for the effort alone.

Ghosts has Trent going further to his YZ'ish direction, ditching the tiresome spoken word. This is basically the album I've been waiting for after TDS; just ditch public expectations and explore new avenues. However, I do understand why it took 14 years from him to reach this point. Following TDS with a Throbbing Gristle-ish instrumental record could've been a career suicide, and if not, it would've at least robbed Trent an established mainstream status (gained through The Fragile).

I wager it's no surprise his very first release outside Interscope is Ghosts. He also seems to release music quicker when not preoccupied in writing bleeding-heart poetry about the way of the world. It'd be interesting to hear him and Axl collaborate on something, if it wouldn't take half a century to complete.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I have to disagree, actually. I've been a NIN fan for years and I always thought The Downward Spiral, while a great album in its own right, is overrated in Reznor's canon. The Fragile is a masterpiece and his best work to date. However, With Teeth being an utter disappointment for me, Year Zero was another high point.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

The Fragile has some great music in it, but it's not without problems. To me, some bits come out as TDS 2.0, by which I mean that Trent's basically using the same bag of tricks and doesn't even bother to try and renew himself, which - while resulting in tunes he knows in n' out and can make the most of - doesn't exactly push the envelope any further than TDS already did. Some songs (Starfuckers, The Wretched, We're in This Together) set in motion the direction that would become painfully apparent in WT; Trent went poppy, creating these sing-a-longs, which were tailor-made to please a bigger market than TDS. Have you listened to The Fragile demos? There's a roughness in the recordings which proves Trent was still coming off the TDS mindset and polished some tracks up to the point where the edges began to wear off. Hard to say how I'd feel about his original take on the album, but as a rule of thumb, give me an honest TDS 2.0 instead of a masqueraded TDS 2.0 any given day.

Then there's the instrumental tracks as well, which represent the third group of songs. The reason why I can't wholeheartedly embrace The Fragile (despite responding positively to various tracks during the initial hearings) is that I think I hear Trent going on in circles, trying to figure out one of three roads to take; re-do TDS, make radio-friendlier single material the record company's pushing for, or just go and try something else. To me, that something else would come up in some songs of YZ and the majority of Ghosts. WT is a crossbreed of the poppy Trent and the remnants of TDS 2.0. Still a bit of pop left in YZ, while TDS ["tedious" 16] no longer seemed to overshadow the creative process as much.

That's pretty much why I have mixed feelings about The Fragile.

Communist China

The Fragile might be my favorite NIN album. I think it's a good thing for NIN to have, it's sonically bigger and has more depth than the other more 'industrial' albums. The sounds is more perfect, in your face, more organic, a complete turn around from TDS, which while being loud had a dirty computer-y sound. NIN's best instrumentals are on this effort. Just Like You Imagined, La Mer, Pilgrimmage, The Mark Has Been Made... great stuff.

With Teeth I like, as a modern version of PHM. Not really much evolution, but a great addition to their live show. I really like The Hand That Feeds and Only, NIN needed to show its 'pop upside down' side again.

Year Zero kind of blows, but lyrically it's pretty cool.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Just Like You Imagined might be my favorite NIN song. One of the coolest guitar melodies ever.

TDS is a tighter album, but the sheer mass and diversity of Fragile makes it my favorite album.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

NINE INCH NAILS mainman Trent Reznor has issued the following update:

"Lots going on in the world of NINE INCH NAILS... Confirming a very poorly kept secret, the band has been reformed (details coming!) and we are about to embark on an extensive tour. The first wave of dates I can mention at this time appear below. Many more to come!"

NINE INCH NAILS tour dates:

Jul. 25 - Pemberton BC @ Pemberton Festival
Jul. 26 - Seattle WA @ Key Arena at Seattle Center
Jul. 28 - Edmonton ALB @ Rexall Place
Jul. 29 - Calgary ALB @ Pengrowth Saddledome
Jul. 31 - Winnipeg MAN @ MTS Centre
Aug. 02 - Minneapolis MN @ Target Center
Aug. 05 - Toronto ONT @ Air Canada Centre
Aug. 07 - Uncasville CT @ Mohegan Sun Arena
Aug. 08 - Worcester MA @ DCU Center
Aug. 12 - Knoxville TN @ Knoxville Civic Coliseum
Aug. 13 - Duluth GA @ Gwinnett Arena
Aug. 15 - Oklahoma City OK @ Ford Center
Aug. 16 - Houston TX @ Toyota Center
Aug. 18 - Dallas TX @ American Airlines Center
Aug. 20 - Saint Louis MO @ Scottrade Center
Aug. 22 - Cleveland OH @ Quicken Loans Arena
Aug. 23 - Auburn Hills MI @ Palace of Auburn Hills
Aug. 27 - East Rutherford NJ @ Izod Center
Aug. 29 - Philadelphia PA @ Wachovia Center
Aug. 31 - Lexington KY @ Rupp Arena
Sep. 02 - Morrison CO @ Red Rocks Amphitheater
Sep. 03 - Salt Lake City UT @ The E Center Of West Valley
Sep. 05 - Oakland CA @ Oracle Arena (formerly Oakland Arena)
Sep. 06 - Inglewood CA @ The Forum

- Blabbercunt

Communist China

They're playing big venues, so I assume they are getting another guitarist and bassist to do what they've been doing their whole career. That would be good. NIN as a rock show is unreal.

Currently the members of the band are TR, Alessandro Cortini, and Josh Freese. We know Twiggy won't be back, and I hope that Aaron stays out too.

Anyways, I'm going to try to make the Toronto show, or the Cleveland show (however I'm worried my friends who are seniors would be off to college by the 22nd).

Communist China

NIN have brought it a great guitarist and former NIN member Robin Finck back to the touring band. When not in NIN, he recorded some demos for a band that never put ut an album. If some of you NIN fans are curious I have a couple demos that he played on with that band. Some of 'em are decent I suppose.

Anyways, I'm so excited that he's back with NIN, expecially if he's contributing to new music. Maybe now they can play more songs from the Fragile, which Aaron never could play passably.

They also brought in Rich Fownes who I do not know. But he's probably good. Big shoes to fill if he's taking over for Jeordie or Lohner before him.

Board footer