You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Re: The Wrestling thread

I had no idea that theme tune existed with vocals.

A friend went to that AEW show in London a few days back so it roped me into watching the thing. Punk and Joe had a good match. There was logic to it, you can tell who is babyface and who is heel & even get the sense they slipped into those roles based of the crowd reaction. Everything else I have seen so far is flippy gymnastic bullshit, no attempt to follow or enforce rules at all.

If the rules are not inforced then why should I give a fuck when a heel breaks them? It's a spot fest clusterfuck. Jim cornette is so right about that company.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

A friend went to that AEW show in London a few days back so it roped me into watching the thing. Punk and Joe had a good match. There was logic to it, you can tell who is babyface and who is heel & even get the sense they slipped into those roles based of the crowd reaction. Everything else I have seen so far is flippy gymnastic bullshit, no attempt to follow or enforce rules at all.

If the rules are not inforced then why should I give a fuck when a heel breaks them? It's a spot fest clusterfuck. Jim cornette is so right about that company.

This is sort of the issue with "modern" pro wrestling.  Yes, the guys wrestling are far better athletes.  But most of the time they seem like they do the jumpy/spot fest stuff.  Nice display of atheticism but the psycholgical part of wrestling isn't there.

Funny you should mention CM Punk.  The dude got suspended again by AEW.  At some point, he isn't worth the trouble.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

slashsfro wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

This is sort of the issue with "modern" pro wrestling.  Yes, the guys wrestling are far better athletes.  But most of the time they seem like they do the jumpy/spot fest stuff.  Nice display of atheticism but the psycholgical part of wrestling isn't there.

Funny you should mention CM Punk.  The dude got suspended again by AEW.  At some point, he isn't worth the trouble.

Now fired.

I don't get him.

I mean I stopped watching Wrestling like maybe 2003 / 2006 I don't know it was early then. It was still popular and people that never watched it before were into it. Including my cousins.

Attitude era was fun.

So I never got into John Cena, or CM Punk.

Started watching a couple years ago again. Bray Wyatt was damn cool, Seth Rollins rocks, and AJ Styles is decent too.

Plus the Women's division isn't just hey look at these sexy ladies, it's actually good, and not just a side show like during the Attitude era.

This CM Punk guy seems like a locker room cancer, and like ok buddy you're straight edge, chill the fuck out, enjoy Impact Wrestling.

I'd hope the WWE would not bring this Punk character back.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

The Facebook and Twitter media definitely made sure you’d come to this conclusion eventually…

AEW is a jerk off vanity project…

It’s like Uber…never shown a profit ever…just keeps going for some reason

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

mitchejw wrote:

The Facebook and Twitter media definitely made sure you’d come to this conclusion eventually…

Coz it's ran by a billionaires kid, i think vanity project is the perfect term for it. The booking is awful & the product is like an indie show with a budget

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Brett Sawyer died. RIP.

I remember him and Buzz as a tag team briefly in NWA 1985. Wasn't much for them to do as there was simply too much talent on the roster during that period.

I think their peak was 1983 mid south/mid Atlantic.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Coz it's ran by a billionaires kid, i think vanity project is the perfect term for it. The booking is awful & the product is like an indie show with a budget

Spot on!

For those that do want a more thorough understanding of the situation...some of the wrestlers in AEW are also EVPs in the company. They've been using their power to fuck with CM Punk since he arrived. At first it started more covert but then guys on tv would do things to embarrass punk and they just did unprofessional shit.

So Punk is turning the company around in a lot of ways...they had their first $1 million gate just a few months into his run. The more succesful Punk got, the more these EVPs got jealous and instead of embracing the success they sabotaged it left and right. Punk didn't make it better by publicly calling them out...but he also wasn't wrong. Their number 1 draw by far was being sabotaged by the very people who were in charge of running it. Rather than Tony Khan allowing the run to play out and elevating the brand, he did nothing. Repeatedly, he did nothing and allowed the situation to fester and get worse.

And so now it's fully exposed...who cares about ratings? who cares about gates? who cares about revenue? Tony wants to be friends with everyone. And that's why they are going to continue to circle the drain until daddy says 'no more.' I'm not sure what that would take...as I'm certain this is a great write off for the Khans. But due to the fact that it's just something 'to do' for Tony Khan it will never be taken very seriously.

And this is coming from someone who was really hoping it would succeed.

Edit: I learned shortly after posting this that AEW's Saturday Night show went from a viewership of 800-850k on aveage to 350k after Punk's firing.

They're on their way to becoming TNA...a promotion that is content with 100k viewers.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

Brett Sawyer died. RIP.

I remember him and Buzz as a tag team briefly in NWA 1985. Wasn't much for them to do as there was simply too much talent on the roster during that period.

I think their peak was 1983 mid south/mid Atlantic.

This relates to my above post indirectly.

I feel as though the 80s were the golden age of wrestling...and I always will. And given the absolute amateur hour that wrestling is now...it pains me as we get further away from that era.

My theory is that Vince greatly benefitted from the territories. The amazing stuff happening in mid south, mid atlantic, Houston wrestling...the list goes on...

Vince had the luxury of paying people more than anyone else could...as he poached the territory talents, he was also killing the territories...There was a brief symbiotic relationship there that turned parasitic. As each territory died so did decades of wrestling knowledge and along with it pipelines for well trained hands from announcing to the in ring talent and everything in between...

What is left? The people who like WWE no matter what they do is all that's left...and then everybody pays attention for awhile during wrestlemania season. The amount of revenue WWE generates is not sustainable in my opinion unless they grow the audience. This is something they really need to...they are great at shaping the optics to make it seem like they are invincible...and they are even willing to rewrite wrestling history to make themselves seem more impressive than they actually are...

So to come full circle...I was only 3 years old in 1985. But I know enough to know this: Bret and Buzz Sawyer were amazing talents and if they can't find a spot somewhere because a roster was too loaded, wow!...how they hell are we where we are in 2023?

James

James wrote:

Thanks to way too much success too quickly(WrestleMania 1 and aftermath), Vince wanted to have it both ways.

He wanted to use the territories as his own personal minor league system while also killing them off and becoming a monopoly.

What happened with UWF in 1987 was a sign and showed the difference between McMahon and everyone else. Bill Watts and Jim Ross as his mouthpiece were selling UWF before it went under. They were looking for a huge bidding war between WWF and NWA/WCW. Here's what happened instead...

McMahon poached the main talent he wanted.

Jim Crockett with Dusty Rhodes massively overpaid for a dying fed.

It's also crazy how McMahon was a cunt hair away from being able to buy NWA in 1988. If Turner backs out...and he would have without Flair...Flair almost went to WWF in 88...the only person capable of buying it would've been McMahon.

Yeah the 80s arw definitely wrestling's peak... specifically 85-89. I know it had other periods of popularity (late 90s) but nothing came close to how entrenched it was in the pop culture of the late 80s.

James

James wrote:

Tammy Sytch sentenced to 17 years in prison for that DWI crash.

She has a sad story... although much of it brought on by herself.

Board footer