You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: The Wrestling thread

mitchejw wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Cornette is someone who ran out off ideas decades ago.

His idea of wrestling was a disaster for both tna and roh.

Cornette booked an era of roh that had kenny omega, the young bucks, Kevin steen, sami zayn, Adam cole, briscoes, seth rollins, insert the name of 1/2 of aew and several of the feds biggest names.

It was completely unwatchable and probably it's lowest point in it's existence and yes that it includes today where it's basically just a ppv company c brand of aew.

Same with his run booking tna and his disastrous nwa stint (mlw thing is trivia pursuit).

He may be charismatic and say the thing you guys who grew up in 80s wrestling like, but his record managaing wrestling promotions is horrendous. He was a terrible booker with ideas that turned off audiences in multiple promotions.

His stchick now days is saying things he himself doesn't even believe including burying people and pretending he doesn't know who people are for clicks.

He's a living gimmick.

I think this is overly critical of Cornette. I disagree that he was a failure in roh. All those names you mentioned are a testimony in his favor. He always worked on a low budget and the goal of ROH was to teach and develop. As it still is….

TNA did itself absolutely no favors and to blame Cornette for that is disingenuous.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I don't know anything about what Cornette does now.

I'll say this...but it's true of most of those guys... he's a product of his time.

Wrestling isn't wrestling anymore and hasn't been for 20+ years. I'm not surprised he has a spotty record in the 21st century.

You know who else would have a spotty record had he continued? Ole Anderson...and he was a fucking genius.

Between movies I've been watching some late 84-early 85 NWA. I became a hardcore NWA fan summer 85 and that's my usual starting point when going down memory lane.

There's some killer shit happening there. It's right before key players like Steamboat, Slaughter, etc are gone and they have to freshen up the angles.

There's a really interesting angle being cooked up between Kernodle and Steamboat against the Russians...and they started including Magnum in it before both Kernodle and Steamboat bail...kiling the whole thing.

This is Magnums first confrontation with Nikita. No one knows at the time how historic that is.

The Dusty -Tully feud is kicking off even though Dusty is currently tag team champs with Raging Bull. This causes Bull to team with Magnum briefly.

It kinda sucks how this played out because a Dusty-Bull vs Road Warriors angle was starting before Dusty switched gears. This is why they quickly drop the belts to the Russians.

Flair feuding with US champ Wahoo. This is right before Magnum wins the US title.

If anybody wants to watch some of this....

Jan 85 Worldwide

Steamboat and Kernodle vs the Russians

Here's something bat shit crazy from 1983 in Georgia that makes you wish it had all turned out differently....

Magnum TA and Randy Savage as a tag team

While I loved Savage in WWF, he would've been amazing in NWA.

AtariLegend wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Cornette is someone who ran out off ideas decades ago.

His idea of wrestling was a disaster for both tna and roh.

Cornette booked an era of roh that had kenny omega, the young bucks, Kevin steen, sami zayn, Adam cole, briscoes, seth rollins, insert the name of 1/2 of aew and several of the feds biggest names.

It was completely unwatchable and probably it's lowest point in it's existence and yes that it includes today where it's basically just a ppv company c brand of aew.

Same with his run booking tna and his disastrous nwa stint (mlw thing is trivia pursuit).

He may be charismatic and say the thing you guys who grew up in 80s wrestling like, but his record managaing wrestling promotions is horrendous. He was a terrible booker with ideas that turned off audiences in multiple promotions.

His stchick now days is saying things he himself doesn't even believe including burying people and pretending he doesn't know who people are for clicks.

He's a living gimmick.

I think this is overly critical of Cornette. I disagree that he was a failure in roh. All those names you mentioned are a testimony in his favor. He always worked on a low budget and the goal of ROH was to teach and develop. As it still is….

TNA did itself absolutely no favors and to blame Cornette for that is disingenuous.

Mitch, ROH/TNA and even MLW promotions he got sacked from all went on to have their most successful runs years later. I'm betting you don't even remember the eras he ran those companies and or seen anything of it.

ROH was not a developmental at the time and he did not develop any of those wrestlers. Most went on hate him and he despised half of them, and/or did not see anything in him. Like James he was a product of his time. Which was the 1980s-mid 1990s.

Being charismatic does not equal intelligence. He was a terrible booker.

Also there's probably some vince mcmahon ish- skeletons in his closet too. There's been allegations down the years.

As for James comment on wrestling not being wrestling anymore. It's something which changes by the decades/generations. 2024 is not the same as 1999 in the same way the late 90s weren't the 1970s.

Vince Mcmahon's sport entertainment is it's own thing.

James

James wrote:

. 2024 is not the same as 1999 in the same way the late 90s weren't the 1970s.

The only real difference between 70s and late 90s is the end of kayfabe.

Watch some Florida- Georgia -Mid Atlantic 78-85 and youll see a more realistic portrayal of the Attitude era.... including the cheesy sexual angles that probably shouldn't have been on TV.

They just didn't give names to specific eras at the time.

When McMahon, Russo,. and whoever the fuck were coming up with those storylines, they had stuff like this on in the background....

Stone Cold before there was Stone Cold....

The Undertaker/Ministry crap done much better with satanism in place of death....

The only reason that stuff isn't more outlandish as it would be in the 90s is because the crowd isn't being winked at and let in on the joke. Thank God for that.

James

James wrote:

I had no idea until today that both Ole Anderson and Virgil  died.

RIP

There will never be another Ole. As I brought up above, a genius of his time.

He was so on fire at one point he was booking different promotions simultaneously (Georgia and Mid-Atlantic). Also handled Florida.

The Road Warriors literally do not exist without him. This idea alone permanently altered tag team wrestling.

I gotta do a deeper dive into both 70s Georgia and Mid-Atlantic. Ole and Gene Anderson feuding with Flair and Valentine sounds amazing....and the infamous Ole heel turn on Dusty.

It's unfortunate that so much of that era is lost to history. It's one of those situations where instead of archiving all that stuff, they just kept recording over tapes as a cost cutting measure.

Cornette has bitched about this for years.

Virgil...

While he did a great job in his role as Virgil, something that wouldn't be allowed today, I'd love to see the timeline where McMahon let's him keep using the Soul Train Jones gimmick. It really had some potential in the WWF.

You can easily picture Hogan and Jones as a team for a brief period anyways.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Yeah Virgil deserves to be remembered as more than just a meme. Could have done far more with the Soul Train Jones gimick if allowed the time

Board footer