You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Super-Speculative Reunion Thread.

buzzsaw wrote:

The newest GnR album was mostly recorded by guys before 2002.  Their last concert was over 2 years ago I believe, and since then they've lost at least the lead guitar player and possibly a drummer and another guitar player.  There is no GnR right now.  There is Axl and whoever is available whenever he (or if he ever) sees fit to tour, but there is no GnR.

maguire22
 Rep: 11 

maguire22 wrote:

By that standard, there was no GNR between UYI and 2001. I don't get it - what do they owe us? Nothing. Does GNR exist, in that, musicians of the right frame of mind are going to be stoked by getting a call to audition, or just want to be involved?

I now GET why I don't fit into most gNR forums - I don't think I know better than the band.

Meh!

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

I'm sorry to say Buzz actually has a point there.

If we step outside the entire 'defining members' discussion and measure the existence of GNR based on their overall activity as a recording/touring entity, we realize they were on life support in '97 (though still ticking with info on Robin, Moby, et al). In the following years, they sprang to life in full gear, having a full lineup locked down, releasing tracks, Axl doing interviews, etc. After the '02 tour they waned, after Bucket left in 2004 they pretty much died on us. They had a temporary spark flying through 06-07, and various signs of life in '08.

This year? They rehearsed in the spring, then died on us again.

May '09 looks a lot like March '04.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Why does everyone always apologize when they agree with Buzz?? 16

Even though it was a joke, I might say it's not because of Buzz's personality per se, rather than the fact that by agreeing with him on anything within the subject matter means you're adopting a rather glum take on the current status of the band. That status, while agreeing with Buzz, is sad to acknowledge.

CD release should've marked a big fanfare - hell, we basically had our private 'fan-fair' with the Skwerl leaks several months prior. Everybody was excited to get the music and hear it for ourselves. The BestBuy dumping and Axl not touring, GNR not reconquering a place in modern rock, the band members not getting their overdue respect in public... Just disappointing.

russtcb wrote:

For me, Robin was the constant.

He was the oldest surviving recruit of the reconstruction and should've been there to promote the album, both on and off-stage. 'Should've' is a relative term, as no real promotion took place.

But he definitely deserved better than what he ultimately got, which was a 'Get out of Jail Free' card from Reznor. Over a decade went past, and that's what he got. From Axl, he got nothing after his work was done.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The newest GnR album was mostly recorded by guys before 2002.  Their last concert was over 2 years ago I believe, and since then they've lost at least the lead guitar player and possibly a drummer and another guitar player.  There is no GnR right now.  There is Axl and whoever is available whenever he (or if he ever) sees fit to tour, but there is no GnR.

There will be a GNR until Axl decides to call it quits, whether you want to acknowledge that fact or not is up to you.  Did GNR exist in 1995?  How about 2001?  2004?  Axl has surprised us with 2 tours almost out of nowhere in the last decade.  Who's to say that can't happen again this year, next, 5 years from now?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Regarding the "There's no GNR" - that's just a semantics game at this point.

Sure, in one sence what GNR might mean to some is the original band, the AFD era, a bunch of dudes living together on the streets and all that entailed. We all know that lifestyle ended a long time ago for those guys.

For right or wrong, Axl felt that what he was doing was a continuation of what the name GNR ment to him. He says as much in his chat transcripts.

The new era of GNR is a different beast. But it exists. Song's arn't written by 5 guys living in the back of car trying to shell out a living, the street, but crafted overyears, with multiple players coming and going and each adding a little something.

I often see it listed as a negative that songs are from 2001 and so on. But so what...that just means this GNR runs differently from other bands. But where else can you have Bucket and Bumble on one record? Multiple drummers, multiple everything. It's definately unusual - but the end results I think worked out very cool.

The new-gnr has always had periods of silence and inactivity. But it continues...we got analbum last year, and I'm sure eventually something else will happen, a tour most likely. That it doesn't conform to your timetable or your vision of what constitutes a band doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

All I want from the old band is a remastered AFD with bonus cuts and a nice booklet. However, most of all, I want the cd with the original cover art as the cover because that painting is perfect for that album. 9

Wasn't this remastered a few years back?

As far as bonus cuts go, didn't Duff say years ago that the original GNR vaults were empty? Now if you're wanting properly released versions of old demos we already have, that's one thing.

Pretty sure you can buy the AFD rape cover CD as an import, and I do know it was rereleased on vinyl with original cover intact.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

It's not semantics.  When is the last time we saw GnR?  Over 2 years ago?  Since then they lost the only key guy that was there through the whole mess not named Axl?  There is no GnR.

Board footer