You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: GnREvolution Arcade Madness - Discussion and Results Thread

Axlin16 wrote:

Both of you make valid points. The whole reason I challenged was I wanted Axl S is just get around to saying it flat out "I like N64 better"

That's fine, to each his own. But PS1 & PS2 owned both their respective eras, was all I was trying to get across.

Only PS3 has been the failure, and we all know that was because it was overpriced right out competition. You want a good reliable Ford F-150 or a Cadillac Escalade? Most will go with the Ford, and in this analogy, Nintendo Wii is the Ford.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Nintendo ownz all with their handheld sales, not to mention they are a first class games developer with most of their games selling in huge numbers. When it comes to profit they are up there with the best of em. Loved the PS1 and N64 was prob my all time fav console, that joypad rocked.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

That's a fair point, the Gamecube era was actually profitable for Nintendo.

I think part of the reason I especially like to defend Nintendo is they are the only REAL games company left i.e. one that makes both hardware and software. Microsoft and Sony are just companies that wanted a piece of the pie. Nintendo's sole company aim if you will is games.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Axl S wrote:

That's a fair point, the Gamecube era was actually profitable for Nintendo.

I think part of the reason I especially like to defend Nintendo is they are the only REAL games company left i.e. one that makes both hardware and software. Microsoft and Sony are just companies that wanted a piece of the pie. Nintendo's sole company aim if you will is games.

Very good point!

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
Axl S wrote:

If we are talking raw sales then heres how each gen since the 8-Bit Era goes

Nes V Master System, NES wins
SNES V Genesis, SNES wins
N64 V PS1 V Saturn, PS1 wins
Dreamcast V PS2 V Xbox V Gamecube, PS2 wins

And currently

PS3 V 360 V Wii, Wii wins in what is possibly the most lopsided one yet.

HOWEVER, even though the Wii is winning many, myself included, consider it the worst console of the three and I'd like to say similar of the PS1 V N64 thing.

Yes PS1 sold more but it wasn't as good as the N64.

Oh, but console preference has a lot to do with how much you appreciate certain types of games. I always preferred Sega for their more "mature" (or edgy or cool if you will) content. A good example is the gray blood and lack bloody fatalities in MK on the SNES vs the bloody gorefest you got on Genesis. Not saying gore is what it's all about, but in this instance it's basically what the game was renowned for.

I guess if I had to list them to personal preference, I'd pick the Sega system in three out of four instances.

Personally:
  Master System > NES
  Genesis > SNES
  N64 > PS1 > Saturn (although I owned a Saturn first)
  Gamecube > Dreamcast > PS2 > XBox
  PS3 > XBox360 > Wii

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed. PS3 is actually the superior console of it's era... it just priced itself right out of competition.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Agreed. PS3 is actually the superior console of it's era... it just priced itself right out of competition.

True, but maybe the new price tag on the slim and the hype surrounding Drake's Fortune 2 will help.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

The only way I see PS3 surviving, is if Sony continues to pimp it as the other brands develop new consoles, then drop the price even more, and try to present it as an economic, blu-ray playing, HD console for around $129.99 MSRP later down the road. And of course games continue being made.

PS3 could under those circumstances, win the battle in the long-term, but even in 2009... it'll take years.

AtariLegend wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Axl S for the LAST TIME, Mario 64 will never be remembered.

Holy Shit.

Cannot believe I missed this post.

Board footer