You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: Axl on frontpage of Uk msn.com

On msn.com one of todays article is 'pop's most disasterous comebacks' there's a picture of the Spice Girls, Michael Jackson, Vanilla Ice and Axl. The article talks about various failed or doomed comebacks, this is what they said about Axl/GNR's.

6te3sie.jpg

Not so much a failed comeback as a permanently delayed one. The biggest band in the world in the early 1990s, GNR were effectively rendered obsolete when grunge hit the mainstream. They released one poorly received album of punk covers, 1994's The Spaghetti Incident?, before imploding, leaving megalomaniac frontman Axl Rose as the only surviving original member. He has been working on GNR's comeback album, allegedly titled Chinese Democracy, since 1999.

http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/music/f … ageindex=5

Not big news or anything exciting but as there's very little news on the GNR front and it's been staring at me all day everytime I connect to the internet so I thought I'd post it.

dave-gnfnr2k
 Rep: 11 

dave-gnfnr2k wrote:

At least they uesd a good pic. And I said this once and Ill say it again when grunge was at its peak (91-93)  gnr were still the biggest band in the world.

Sky Dog wrote:

they were...the sold out concerts through 93 and millions and millions of album sales worlwide through 98-99 prove that....Gnr killed Gnr...all the grunge bands combined didn't sell as many albums worldwide as Gnr.

I have to say this is a well written paragraph about the situation.  No bashing or cheap shots and I like that.

Dreamline
 Rep: 64 

Dreamline wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

I have to say this is a well written paragraph about the situation.  No bashing or cheap shots and I like that.

Except for "leaving megalomaniac frontman Axl Rose as the only surviving original member. "  I didn't realize the rest of the guys were dead. hmm

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

dave-gnfnr2k (welcome aboard by the way) you're comment about GNR being the biggest band in the world during grunge's peak is spot on.  I'm so sick of everyone blaming grunge on the death of metal, hard rock (whatever you want to call it).  Sure grunge was a new and relevant flavor but it was the bands of the time that killed themselves.  They were either so fucked up on drugs that they became lazy and released crap or they just simply didn't release anything at all for years at a time.  THIS is what killed these bands and left some very good grunge acts like Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Nirvana in total control.  It was a one-two punch, not a sole knockout.

madagas wrote:

Gnr killed Gnr

Exactly.

Dreamline wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

Except for "leaving megalomaniac frontman Axl Rose as the only surviving original member. "  I didn't realize the rest of the guys were dead. hmm

I'll take megalomaniac [is that even word] over most of the crap I've seen posted about him.
HAHA yeah surviving is a bad choice of words, remaining would have been better smile

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

russtcb wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

...[i]Not so much a failed comeback as a permanently delayed one.../i]

Not big news or anything exciting but as there's very little news on the GNR front and it's been staring at me all day everytime I connect to the internet so I thought I'd post it.

I appreciate the post, but it just goes to show how much people are still waiting and wanting for this.

Definitely, that's why when it is finally released, god willing in the next year or so pray.gif  It's gonna be huge.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

dave-gnfnr2k (welcome aboard by the way) you're comment about GNR being the biggest band in the world during grunge's peak is spot on.  I'm so sick of everyone blaming grunge on the death of metal, hard rock (whatever you want to call it).  Sure grunge was a new and relevant flavor but it was the bands of the time that killed themselves.  They were either so fucked up on drugs that they became lazy and released crap or they just simply didn't release anything at all for years at a time.  THIS is what killed these bands and left some very good grunge acts like Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Nirvana in total control.  It was a one-two punch, not a sole knockout.

Yes & no.  A case can be made for GnR killing themselves, they basically did. But bands like Crue, Cindarella, Poison, Warrant, Skid Row had no shot, again NO SHOT of surviving the grunge era. The few that did were GnR & The Black Crowes. That's about it, some other like Metallica & Megadeth etc, but they weren't really "mainstream" prior to grunge. Also, before grunge hit there were some severely shitty bands (Mr Big anyone?? Extreme...) Tesla was ok, I liked them. They somewhat survived, but never topped their success of Love Song or Signs. There might have been s small few others I'm not thinking of.

As for the OP, yeah it's a good writeup, aside from the "surviving" snafu.. DTJ's right, "remaining" is a much better word but whatever.. Russtcb yeah there's ttwo sides to every coin though. On one hand in the general publics eye it's an 'anticipated comeback', but on the other, he's in an article of comebacks with Vanilla Ice, Spice Girls, and Mike. Not exactly elite company either.

Board footer