You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Chinese Democracy given a Feb. 12 release date on Amazon UK

RussTCB wrote:

removed

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:

man, when i read the first part of the title on the front page i got excited again. then, after seeing the complete title i asked myself: "why do i still fall for this every damn time?". amazon uk, who cares, they had it on their preorder for years now. feb will turn to july that will turn to nov then it's feb again.
and the fact that it says pre-order now doesn't mean more money for them because amazon charges at the moment they actually ship the item.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

From an accounting standpoint, I wonder how Amazon recognizes revenue.  You'd think it'd be foolish on their part to set up an unearned revenue liability whenever they say an item is available for pre-order, because every year they're making the liability grow.  Unless they are also setting up a prepaid expense for ordering the album or something.  However they're doing it, it's backwards until the album actually comes out.  They could even offer albums for pre-order to overstate their revenue and make it look like they're earning more than they actually are.  It's silly.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

They can earn interest off of any money they have sitting around.  Even if they have to give the money back because the album never comes out, they keep the interest.  They win no matter what with nothing really to lose unless they invest in prime rate mortgages.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I think this is probably the plan for now, but of course plans can fall through, so don't blame the band when it doesn't happen.

Horseshit.

Sky Dog wrote:

Commy, remember, it is a very fluid situation....no other band goes through stuff like this.:haha: Plans do change, but I have never seen a situation where plans changed for 8 years!:rolleyes:

ps outside of the Iraq War that is!:D

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
Backslash wrote:

From an accounting standpoint, I wonder how Amazon recognizes revenue.  You'd think it'd be foolish on their part to set up an unearned revenue liability whenever they say an item is available for pre-order, because every year they're making the liability grow.  Unless they are also setting up a prepaid expense for ordering the album or something.  However they're doing it, it's backwards until the album actually comes out.  They could even offer albums for pre-order to overstate their revenue and make it look like they're earning more than they actually are.  It's silly.

Given the length of time its taken to get to market, they're probably expecting to defer their revenue over a  10yr time period or so, to account for any unforeseen and highly probable delays in the CD getting from record company to record plant to warehouse to local store.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Abbey_Road wrote:

Is this a test to see how many people pre order CD to gage sales?

Didn't they try this a few years back too?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
downliner wrote:
sic. wrote:

What would be the point, what would be their angle?

Read the part highlighted in bold :

Gunslinger wrote:

Availability: This title will be released on February 12, 2008. Pre-order now!

If they guess release dates every couple of months and the news spreads throughout the boards (as it always does), its sometimes picked up by major media forms like Rolling Stone etc. If Amazon get a few thousand pre-orders everytime this bullshit spreads it's more money in there pocket I'd say.

When the CD is finally released Amazon can bump up the price and send out a mass email to everyone who pre-ordered. If they all buy it for Amazons bumped up price Amazon make a nice tidy profit. If no-one buys it from Amazon due to the bumped up price they still keep all of the deposits left by thousands of stupid fans gullible enough to cough up a deposit now tongue

Thats how I see it anyway. Daylight robbery hmm

Pre-Order Price Guarantee

Amazon.com's price for not-yet-released items sometimes changes between the time the item is listed for sale and the time it is released and shipped. Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, video game, or software item, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you place your order and the release date.

Board footer