You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: How hard is it to leak a song?

faldor wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Fat-Drunk wrote:

I'm still holding out hope that at least 1 song will leak in the 2009 calendar year (or early 2010).

It seems that when the band is on tour, secrets are easier to obtain, and people are a bit more careless about secrecy.

I was just wondering about this the other day. It seems the fan base as a whole hasn't been holding out much hope for more leaks since the album released.

If anything leaked, I wonder if it'd be something new or yet another version of something we've already heard?

I could honestly care less about a 7th version of TWAT.  And I'd rather hear new music the next time the way it was intended.

With that being said, I don't think I could resist if another round of leaks happened.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:
russtcb wrote:

If anything leaked, I wonder if it'd be something new or yet another version of something we've already heard?

At this point, with the Rock Band 2 files out there, and the official album already a year old ... I'm more interested in hearing some new songs like "Atlas," "The General," "Soul Monster," etc.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
emcitymisfit wrote:
gavgnr wrote:

I'd love to be wrong but I reckon the days pf gnr leaks are long gone.

I mean the stuff we got in '07 thanks to MSL was suggested to have been sourced from Fernando and surely we got what was there to be had.

And the '08 Antiquiet leaks from Cogil - well surely we'd never see this kind of leak again following the FBI stuff.

The only possible way I could ever see a new leak is something finally surfacing from the 'checkmate' affair - but from what I've read the gnr camp quickly shut that one down.

So until Uncle Axl decides to put more new music out there, we wait....

The only ones who are known to have it are the douche forum mods. Good luck.

wait...you think someone actually still has leaks to share? what mods are you talking about?

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

wait...you think someone actually still has leaks to share? what mods are you talking about?

They have the leaks, but they won't share. Eric at mygnr has them, Jarmo has them, the knob at chinesedemocracy.com has them, madison has them.

Now, this is mostly speculation, but between the accusations and all of those mods playing coy when asked or confronted, I'm pretty sure they all have something.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
faldor wrote:

I could honestly care less about a 7th version of TWAT.  And I'd rather hear new music the next time the way it was intended.

Yeah people always talk about how it was the leaks that sustained the fan base through the wait and whatever else. And I feel there's an element of truth to it, but then I also feel, those leaks are the reason some people wern't that excited about the album.

Because everyone gets into the "I like the 99 TWAT better, or the old Catcher, or version 3.5 of IRS", when if we'd never heard a song from CD, it would have been like 1000 times more intense hearing that album for the first time.

ronartest2004
 Rep: 2 

emcitymisfit wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

They have the leaks, but they won't share. Eric at mygnr has them, Jarmo has them, the knob at chinesedemocracy.com has them, madison has them.

Now, this is mostly speculation, but between the accusations and all of those mods playing coy when asked or confronted, I'm pretty sure they all have something.

Ive heard the same, the rumour is that they get "special" things from the gnr camp by keeping things pro-axl and more or less anti-slash. Which to me kinda defeats the purpose of a message board if you cant have a complete discussion.

And I would rather hear new shit from gnr, I dont have a great ear to hear slight differences between IRS v.1 and IRS v.4.5...Some do, I dont.

TOTAL LOSS
 Rep: 5 

TOTAL LOSS wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
faldor wrote:

Yeah people always talk about how it was the leaks that sustained the fan base through the wait and whatever else. And I feel there's an element of truth to it, but then I also feel, those leaks are the reason some people wern't that excited about the album.

Because everyone gets into the "I like the 99 TWAT better, or the old Catcher, or version 3.5 of IRS", when if we'd never heard a song from CD, it would have been like 1000 times more intense hearing that album for the first time.

They shouldn't have released a physical album at all. People no longer listen to CD's.

The most exciting thing to happen were the leaks.

It was like Christmas morning when your eight years old every time a leak happened. The element of surprise created a frenzy of anticipation. Had they been smart they could have benefited from that situation by emulating it with a subscription based model.

Make a new song available on iTunes every week and on their website for subscribers for a nominal monthly fee + exclusive bonus content.

One track. Every week.

Instead of only one album review we'd get weekly reviews. Keep the momentum going, keep people talking, keep the blogers blogging, keep everyone expecting.

Tour and add new songs to the live act as they become available. This keeps the live shows fresh.

With 2-3 albums recorded they have enough content with breaks in between.

Their next CD will bomb as big as this one if the don't try something different.

What worked a decade ago no longer does.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Smashing Pumpkins are releasing music that way from now on. And I don't think it will work. Not to mention, albums are pieces of art. Down to the literal artwork. Something would be lost if you released a song at a time.

And people are still buying albums. CD sold over 500,000 copies in the US, over 3 million around the world. That's not a bomb. You'd be hurting yourself if you decided to skip the album process.

TOTAL LOSS
 Rep: 5 

TOTAL LOSS wrote:
misterID wrote:

Smashing Pumpkins are releasing music that way from now on. And I don't think it will work. Not to mention, albums are pieces of art. Down to the literal artwork. Something would be lost if you released a song at a time.

And people are still buying albums. CD sold over 500,000 copies in the US, over 3 million around the world. That's not a bomb. You'd be hurting yourself if you decided to skip the album process.

It's about experiences. It's about the total experience a customer has with your product. And going to Best Buy to purchase music is a crappy experience. Previous generations have been conditioned by the constraints of physical mediums, but an album is whatever you want it be and people rip and mix their own track order straight to their ipod.

We consume music differently now and the Industry still hasn't responded. There is a reason the Pumpkins, Radiohead, NIN et all are using new business models. They have a user friendly character that reinforces interactive relationships. Rear view mirror thinking won't work.

You have less control now over your work and how it is used.

And Chinese Democracy is the lowest selling GN'R album.

Board footer