You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: How hard is it to leak a song?

mendosa wrote:
mister saint laurent wrote:
TSI wrote:

MSL you know as well as I do "who" leaked chicken dinner and tagged it with that name, It was NOT Fernando. So, you may let that rumor die-didn't happen that way. And nobody was in "Tianamin square" either so lose that as well.

i was sent chicken dinner by brodie william. i sent chicken dinner to michael horn. michael horn leaked chicken dinner from tiananmen square.

all three of my sentences are 100% true. the same can't be said for your three sentences.

take care.

i trust you

sincerly,
your commander in chief

mendosa! my favorite mistersaintlaurent.com member! the funny thing about this idiot TSI that doesn't think anybody was in china . . . the dude from china posts on my site all the time about his life in china.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
TOTAL LOSS wrote:
misterID wrote:

Smashing Pumpkins are releasing music that way from now on. And I don't think it will work. Not to mention, albums are pieces of art. Down to the literal artwork. Something would be lost if you released a song at a time.

And people are still buying albums. CD sold over 500,000 copies in the US, over 3 million around the world. That's not a bomb. You'd be hurting yourself if you decided to skip the album process.

It's about experiences. It's about the total experience a customer has with your product. And going to Best Buy to purchase music is a crappy experience. Previous generations have been conditioned by the constraints of physical mediums, but an album is whatever you want it be and people rip and mix their own track order straight to their ipod.

We consume music differently now and the Industry still hasn't responded. There is a reason the Pumpkins, Radiohead, NIN et all are using new business models. They have a user friendly character that reinforces interactive relationships. Rear view mirror thinking won't work.

You have less control now over your work and how it is used.

And Chinese Democracy is the lowest selling GN'R album.

That's YOUR opinion. Physically walking into a store and buying a physical copy of an album you've been anticipating is one the most fun things to do in my mind. There's NOTHING exciting about downloading a  song or an album.  You talk about the "total experience" and yet you say bands should forgo the process of releasing a physical copy of their albums?  No way. It has nothing to do with previous generations being preconditioned to anything but rather the new generation being preconditioned to not appreciate the art of things.   There is nothing exciting about the way Radiohead or NIN or Smashing Pumpkins or anyone else is doing in term as of how they're making their albums available online. It may be new but it's definately not exciting.  Downloads are boring in MY opinion and I think rather than coming up with ways to encourage downloading albums as the norm more  bands should come up with more incentive for people to buy physical copies.  That's my opinion. I still buy cd's and collect vinyl.  In my honest opinion the ability to purchase single songs  for $0.99 off itunes or simply click a button and have the albums  is ruining the art of the album.

TOTAL LOSS
 Rep: 5 

TOTAL LOSS wrote:

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Bono

Bono wrote:
TOTAL LOSS wrote:

Whoa dude, yeah like that's what I  was sayting man.  roll

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:
TOTAL LOSS wrote:
misterID wrote:

Smashing Pumpkins are releasing music that way from now on. And I don't think it will work. Not to mention, albums are pieces of art. Down to the literal artwork. Something would be lost if you released a song at a time.

And people are still buying albums. CD sold over 500,000 copies in the US, over 3 million around the world. That's not a bomb. You'd be hurting yourself if you decided to skip the album process.

It's about experiences. It's about the total experience a customer has with your product. And going to Best Buy to purchase music is a crappy experience. Previous generations have been conditioned by the constraints of physical mediums, but an album is whatever you want it be and people rip and mix their own track order straight to their ipod.

We consume music differently now and the Industry still hasn't responded. There is a reason the Pumpkins, Radiohead, NIN et all are using new business models. They have a user friendly character that reinforces interactive relationships. Rear view mirror thinking won't work.

That's YOUR opinion. Physically walking into a store and buying a physical copy of an album you've been anticipating is one the most fun things to do in my mind. There's NOTHING exciting about downloading a  song or an album.  You talk about the "total experience" and yet you say bands should forgo the process of releasing a physical copy of their albums?  No way. It has nothing to do with previous generations being preconditioned to anything but rather the new generation being preconditioned to not appreciate the art of things.   There is nothing exciting about the way Radiohead or NIN or Smashing Pumpkins or anyone else is doing in term as of how they're making their albums available online. It may be new but it's definately not exciting.  Downloads are boring in MY opinion and I think rather than coming up with ways to encourage downloading albums as the norm more  bands should come up with more incentive for people to buy physical copies.  That's my opinion. I still buy cd's and collect vinyl.  In my honest opinion the ability to purchase single songs  for $0.99 off itunes or simply click a button and have the albums  is ruining the art of the album.

Completely agree.  Downloads are KILLING the entire concept of "albums".  Most people just don't sit down and listen to an album from start to finish anymore.  It's all about coming up with one catchy song, and that's all that really matters.  Maybe the hardcore fans still listen to an entire Britney or Avril record but the masses just know the radio songs.  True ROCK fans know the experience of listening to "Back In Black", "Master of Puppets", or "Appetite For Destruction".  People just aren't programmed that way these days, and it sucks.

TOTAL LOSS

TOTAL LOSS wrote:
Bono wrote:
TOTAL LOSS wrote:

Whoa dude, yeah like that's what I  was sayting man.  roll

Have a sense of humor, it's not a personal attack.:cool:

(and I'd like to nominate you to the head of Guns N' Roses marketing committee. Based on their efforts I'm sure they'd find your views instantly agreeable.)

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:
TOTAL LOSS wrote:

Completely agree.  Downloads are KILLING the entire concept of "albums".  Most people just don't sit down and listen to an album from start to finish anymore.  It's all about coming up with one catchy song, and that's all that really matters.  Maybe the hardcore fans still listen to an entire Britney or Avril record but the masses just know the radio songs.  True ROCK fans know the experience of listening to "Back In Black", "Master of Puppets", or "Appetite For Destruction".  People just aren't programmed that way these days, and it sucks.

You don't get it.

You can only negotiate an evolving image rather than manage a stable one. This is true of music too. People want to enjoy music the way they want to, not the way you or the creator dictate they should. It's not bad or good, it just is what it is.

Besides, CD's are just plastic junk that create one giant landfill crisis. They are also the absolute WORST aesthetic format for displaying art and design, as any designer will tell you. The awkward cropping of imagery. The crappy plastic jewel case that always breaks. And lyrics in 6pt. type? Really??

Axl should take a few pointers from Trent. Fan remixes, HD footage downloads, interactive campaigns. Things change. People expect your product or service to be better designed. If you don't, someone else will make it better and you leave yourself exposed to the risks posed by the changing aspects of consumption, technology and competition.

iTunes is winning, anyway.

Bono

Bono wrote:

I think it's you TOTAL LOSS who dosn't get it.  Just cause itunes is winning and just because a new generation with  zero attention span does something doesn't make it better.   Kids growing up today will NEVER experience the thrill of buying a new album the way we did or even the way our parents did. People today don't appreciate albums the way they once did and that's a fact. Talk all you want about it being an evolution and a natural progression or whatever about how people want their music but the fact is the concept of an album is becoming a lost art for numerous reasons, digital downloading being one of them. I don't know how old you are but you obviously don't have a  passion for albums as a piece of art.  Cassestes were also "plastic junk" as were 8 tracks and vinyl yet there was something special about owning albums on those formats. There is nothing special about owning a download. U2 released their latest album on four different formats. Digital, Vinyl, CD and delux box set. I own 3 of the 4 formats. Guess which one I don't own. Not everyone wants their music as a download.  I still enjoy going to a persons house and seeing a cd collection on display. I scroll through it every time. yet there's nothin interesting about someone's itunes playlist.

As a music fan I would think you'd have more appreciation for a physical album.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Bono wrote:

I think it's you TOTAL LOSS who dosn't get it.  Just cause itunes is winning and just because a new generation with  zero attention span does something doesn't make it better.   Kids growing up today will NEVER experience the thrill of buying a new album the way we did or even the way our parents did. People today don't appreciate albums the way they once did and that's a fact. Talk all you want about it being an evolution and a natural progression or whatever about how people want their music but the fact is the concept of an album is becoming a lost art for numerous reasons, digital downloading being one of them. I don't know how old you are but you obviously don't have a  passion for albums as a piece of art.  Cassestes were also "plastic junk" as were 8 tracks and vinyl yet there was something special about owning albums on those formats. There is nothing special about owning a download. U2 released their latest album on four different formats. Digital, Vinyl, CD and delux box set. I own 3 of the 4 formats. Guess which one I don't own. Not everyone wants their music as a download.  I still enjoy going to a persons house and seeing a cd collection on display. I scroll through it every time. yet there's nothin interesting about someone's itunes playlist.

I agree that, personally speaking, I find an album more interesting. But the point TL is making is that unfortunatly trying to make incentives for people to buy the physical album isn't going to work. The majority want it digital and there's no changing that.

TOTAL LOSS

TOTAL LOSS wrote:
Bono wrote:

You are the minority.

What's killing music is a fixed, unchangeable point of view. You can't do todays job with yesterdays tools or concepts, something the music moguls don't understand. If it were up to them we'd still be flying around in hot air balloons.

No one is taking away your concept of what an album should be. It's all storytelling unified by a theme. Digital distribution doesn't change that, not one bit. Do you ever watch episodic tv? Same thing.

Technological transitions will always cause despair and anxiety between generations. The young instinctively understand it, but are persistently attacked by previous generations. Again, it's all about the experience. What's right for you may not be right for somebody else. People want to customize their experience, remix and reassemble their music so its right for them. Nothing wrong with that.

You can still have something tangible, limited editions for collectors. Playing a vinyl record is a ritual. Striking a match is different than flicking a lighter.

I love music and even collect the odd vinyl myself, my favourite being an old Danzig/Misfits 7" "Who Killed Marilyn" on purple wax. Paid $250 originally, now they go for about $400-500.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

anyone heard pearljam's latest thing?

releasing old rare vinyls one per store...they announce which store the album will be at and then the first person there to request it gets to buy it

anyway i'd rather buy an album then download it...the only reason i download is to take it for a test spin...but you cant beat having a physical copy in your hands and pouring over the artwork, lyrics, credits and thankyous...hell i even liked the old days when album lyrics were a rarity

though i admit that i'm old fashioned that way...i dont think ive ever "bought" a digital download

Board footer