You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: "Ghost" is streaming NOW

Sky Dog wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

Well, the truth is I bought the first Snakepit record....really tried to like it but it just didn't work for me....didn't buy the second one. I bought Contraband and really tried to like it but it just didn't work for me...didn't buy the second one. I have listened to these batch of songs and don't hear much that really interests me so I won't be buying it.

I actually agree with a lot of this, but I like VR a lot more than you do.  I haven't listened to any of the samples, but I will probably get the album on my mp3 player when it comes out as I did with CD.  I don't know why I'm not excited about this.  My guess is I will like this album more than CD, but probably not by much.

I think Axl has not found a guitar player that brings the best out of him and Slash hasn't found a singer that brings the best out of him since they split.  They have both fallen well short of their previous successes.

If this makes any sense, I actually believe that Axl's "ideas" for songs are far far superior to Slash's. In theory, in my opinion, if you take the basic tracks from Chinese coupled with the lyrics, they are far superior "ideas" and songs than anything Slash has ever thought about doing. Now, the problem is, to me, Axl is too crazy and insecure to execute whatever is in his head. The end result of Chinese is just a complete mess from an execution and production standpoint. The weak points being Axl could never decide on a consistent "guitar" sound. The keyboards and strings and rhythm section are stellar. The guitars are all over the place.

Which leads you to say, "well, if Slash and Izzy were there..." Hmmm, I don't know...more Axl not deciding on exactly what he wanted from his players.

My big issue with Slash is that I don't think he is nearly as good without Izzy or a real rhythm player who does his own thing.

fuck it, I am going way off track.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
madagas wrote:

The whole concept of the record is a sell out. Every song fits in to a different segment of the radio market. It is blatantly obvious that this was done on purpose. He is specifically trying to pull a Santana and have a massive hit record. Nothing wrong with that but it is "selling out". Almost every track we have heard could be a single and it just "feels" to me like that is his sole purpose...to write a bunch of radio friendly songs.

10 years 14 million

6 months maybe 100k

hmmmmmmm

Love how Axl wasn't trying to write hits..........

yeah right.

also selling the album out to Best Buy isnt selling out either its a smart "business" move. who gives a shit if most people don't live anywhere near a best buy.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

This whole sell out thing is bullshit and you can insult ANY artist for it.

Have a go at Axl for continuing to use the GNR name in an entity of different players he was purposely stearing toward a different sound. Or have a go at slash for playing on pop songs. While you are at it have a go at any artist who's posed for a publicity photo or does anything other than jam in their bedroom. It's all bullshit. It costs money to run bands at these levels, the artists sell shit to finance what they do. That's their jobs.

madagas wrote:

If this makes any sense, I actually believe that Axl's "ideas" for songs are far far superior to Slash's

I dunno I think they're both absolute geniuses at what they do. Axl's melodies, lyrics and the other musical stuff he brings to the table are incomprable to nearly anyone else out there. It's just gold. No one does it quite the same. Likewise while there are a ton of great guitarists in the world, slash does things in a particular way and with a particular feel that's not really emulated by anyone, it's why he's famous on the instrument despite not being a shredder to the extent of a guy like Satch or Vai etc.

I think it's basicly that old GNR was very much the child of the interaction of Slash's solos and style, with Izzy's structures, a little of Duff's attitude and Axl's abilities. And from a feel/drum perspective the talents of Steven/Sorum All of them were integral in different ways to it being what it was.

While I often hear people say they don't care for anything slash has made post GNR, if you look at the riffs and solos, in isolation from the song structures, melodies, vocals, and lyrics, there's no queastion some of them are easily on par or superior to his GNR work, it's just that it's only 1/5th of the story.

Like wise I suspect that people like Buzz who dislike Chinese, if you took Axl's melodies into a different more traditional GNR context, he'd probably like the song.  The actual lyrics and melodies and singing isn't worse than old GNR, in fact just like slash's parts, it's probably quite a lot more intricate and better now. It's just not in the same context it was.

The best cake was made with the best eggs, the best sugar and the best milk. Slash keeps serving up kickass eggs on toast each morning, meanwhile Axl is pooring out an album of a damn awesome milkshake! But plenty of motherfuckers in the restraunt are just going "but where's the fucking cake" and thinking it means the ingriedients have become substandard. When they're still the shit, just not mixed up the same.

For me personally, I'm enjoying both of them as is, I fucking love Chinese Democracy and what Axl's achieved with the new band, and i also love me some VR and slash solo tunes.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Since we're on the topic of Axl vs Slash(again). Slash couldn't hold Axl's jockstrap in the songwriting department. Let's be real.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Since we're on the topic of Axl vs Slash(again). Slash couldn't hold Axl's jockstrap in the songwriting department. Let's be real.

Hey I love Axl's music, he fucking kicksass, but being *real* he aint the guy who plays the guitars on Jungle either! That's my point....Axl apparently plays around with guitar but he's not going to be whipping out the coma solo any time soon, slash might like to write words sometimes, but I don't see him penning anything on par with Axl's vocals either. They're both great at what they do. Isolated from each other, I don't see either as particularly better.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Neither can Cornell. Let's be real.

James Lofton wrote:

Would love to see an Axl/Cornell collaboration before we're all dead. Have Cornell write the music, and let Axl write the lyrics and sing it.

Fixed big_smile

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash wrote some of the meanest nastiest riffs in rock n roll history.  Axl wrote some good lyrics and vocal melodies, but can't write a riff to save his life, see Chinese Democracy.  Slash is the one that brings an element of sex and balls to the old gnr.  There is so much sexyness and ballsy riffage in the old gnr that complimented Axl.  nothing really compliments Axl on CD.  There are a few good solos, but not many guitar driven tunes.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

James Lofton wrote:

Would love to see an Axl/Cornell collaboration before we're all dead. Have Cornell write the music, and let Axl write the lyrics and sing it.

Fixed big_smile

I know you're one of the site's Cornell haters, but that guy has an amazing discography and while SG band members played a huge role in writing songs, a lot of them are Cornell songs(musically and lyrically) and Axl cant touch him in that department.

Axl and the rotating cast spent ten years and still couldn't come up with anything as powerful as tracks like Overfloater, Switch Opens, Cochise, Show Me How to Live, Yesterday to Tomorrow,etc. and it only took Cornell weeks/months to do those songs.

I love both guys and they are my two favorite singers so its hard to slag either for their immense talent, but Axl doesn't come close in that department and Axl even admitted it in a RS interview many years ago.

The only capacity that Axl destroys Cornell is his stage presence, but in fairness very few in history can rival Axl's stage presence.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Cornell is badass, but doesn't really rock as hard as Axl.. Axl is a pure hard rock front man, Cornell was more of the alternative type, but he really could have been anything he wanted with that monster range.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

James Lofton wrote:

Fixed big_smile

I know you're one of the site's Cornell haters, but that guy has an amazing discography and while SG band members played a huge role in writing songs, a lot of them are Cornell songs(musically and lyrically) and Axl cant touch him in that department.

Axl and the rotating cast spent ten years and still couldn't come up with anything as powerful as tracks like Overfloater, Switch Opens, Cochise, Show Me How to Live, Yesterday to Tomorrow,etc. and it only took Cornell weeks/months to do those songs.

I love both guys and they are my two favorite singers so its hard to slag either for their immense talent, but Axl doesn't come close in that department and Axl even admitted it in a RS interview many years ago.

The only capacity that Axl destroys Cornell is his stage presence, but in fairness very few in history can rival Axl's stage presence.

Axl's too humble (jesus I feel dirty saying that) to admit his talent.

I liked Soundgarden, and I loved Cochise. Imo Cochise was his finest hour.

But short of that his collabs blow chimp. The only collab of his I EVER liked was Right Turn with Alice Mudgarden.

Board footer