You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Slash V Axl V Izzy V Whoeverthe fuck

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah VR is wierd. Like when Contraband came out I took a while to warm to it cos of the absence of Snakepit style solos and in your face licks. Then with libertad, the solos were starting to come back but it still seemed like too many ballads on the one album and not enough balls out rock. Throw in scott's limited range and repedative song structures and the overall experience is very removed from GNR.

So i can kind of see why somepeople don't like VR. But when you get past a couple of those things they really do have some great tracks too. I think i'm alone on this one but I just love "Let it Roll" that ending where last rips into that solo just takes me to guitar heaven. lol. And there's some real pretty melodies in a few of the less known ballads...like "Loving the Alien" or "You got no right". And a few of the rockey numbers are definately catchy. Like superhuman isn't the best track ever...but when in the mood you can scream out that "cocaine...alchol..." chorus etc

To be honest I enjoy them and I'm kind of disapointed that it seems to have fallen into the abyss. But it's the sort of band with more potential than they've realised yet. Like Slash and Duff and Matt are fucking gold together....they made some good tunes with Dave and Scott...but I'm sure they still have better left in them. I dunno if it needs a new foil for slash other than dave, or if dave is great and it was just scott pushing them in a different way, but I'd love VR to regroup and make more of a GNR/Snakepit sounding album with a new singer.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Libertad is a wierd album to me. Terrible single choices. And i'll be honest and say that even as a slash and VR fan 1/2 of the album is just not really songs I enjoy. But at the same time, some of the songs I like, I like better than contrband songs

I think "Let it Roll", "She Mine", "Get Out the Door" and "Just Sixteen" are great tracks. There's about another 3 average tracks I don't mind after that, and the rest of the album isn't for me. But i think it's too easily dismissed as a rubbish album, although i'll agree there's some really bland stuff on there.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

This Cornell is better than Axl thing is ridiculous

Axl has a way more diverse voice... he had like 3 or 4 different voices.. Cornell has the same tired vocal melody etc and lets don't even get started on lyrics

Love how people talk about Izzy as if he is God but slag on Slash for his "post" GNR work when Slash won a fucking grammy and made a kick ass great album in CB.. wtf has Izzy done since 91?

Axl made a great record cause it is easier to find drummers,guitar players,bassist etc than it is to find a great vocalist,lyricist.

Contraband destroys CD in the Rock dept.

the other thing that pisses me off and i find to be the most retarded statement of all time is that Slash has done nothing since GNR therefore that somehow damages his legacy or importance to GNR...

Jimmy page hasn't written anything in 20 years so is he all of a sudden shit?

-D-

-D- wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
-D- wrote:

Cornell better than Axl? HAHAHA thats worse than Finck being better than Slash.

Oh really? If it's worse, go compare Finck's resume to Slash's. Then go compare Axl's to Cornell's.

For the record, Finck doesn't belong in a discussion with any of the above three mentioned.

U are right James.. bad example using Finck to Slash to compare Cornell to Axl

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

-D-

-D- wrote:

HAHAHAHA nice!

I just point out that Slash has done some great shit post GNR cause Contraband is one of the greatest rock albums of the past 15 years.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Contraband, played loud, is a great in your face straight ahead rock record.  You Got No Right is a DAMN FINE song.  Really a Class song.  Songs like YGNR made me think Weiland was a good choice, and a killer Slash solo too..  I even like Loving the Alien.  Dirty Little Thing was cool as was Sucker Train Blues.  Illegal Eye was cool as shit and like Monkey Chow said, Superhuman.  Last Fight was a good tune and loved "Let it Roll"... And of course we all love Slither.  Slither alone rocks harder than any of the rock songs on CD...  So ya, VR wasn't a total waste.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Its been a while since I played any VR at all.   The Liberturd put me off somewhat..but now i`m back and I`m remembering what I loved..I actually hate Scott, but I can put it all past me and listen to what I consider some of Slashs greatest riffs and solo`s since GNR.
Though to be fair on Liberturd.. Gravedancer is a great track

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Without Paul Huge, there would be no Guns N' Roses.

I heard Paul Huge has a toenail on the end of his penis.

Board footer