You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Just listened to Chinese Democracy again...

Axlin16 wrote:

Apparently Russ... Catcher is one of the great tracks from CD.

But then again, I always thought Bad Obsession was one of the great tracks from UYI, so what do I know?

And to metallex, Frank's work being "dumbed down" for the masses, is exactly what GN'R needs. It was the problem with Sorum. It was the problem with Brain. GN'R doesn't need John fucking Bonham on drums. They were a sleazy hard rock band, with a groove. Steven brought that. Frank brings it, and why I think he's the BEST drummer out there for GN'R, and i'm glad he's in the band. This is the kind of drummer GN'R needs. They don't need a technical drummer. They need a Phil Rudd-type back there that just gives rock songs fucking balls, without going into anything crazy. Frank fits that mold, perfectly imo.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

GNR isn't a sleazy R&R band. They weren't during UYI. That shit ended at AFD. With nuGNR its about musicianship and Brain fit that.

That's why Steven would have been totally out of place on UYI. I think he sounds off on Civil War.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

GN'R will always be a sleazy Rn'R band. That's why AFD has remained their flagship, that's the reason Axl still plays it in majority at GN'R shows, that's what Frank is in the band, and that's why Jungle, SCOM & PC are still played daily, even on modern rock stations.

That shit might have been asleep, but it was resurrected in 2006 with Frank's addition, and chronic AFD revue shows, which seem to be making a return.

CD is the exception, because they are pushing an album. When they start playing UYI songs again, in decent quantity, I might look at the sleazy thing as being dead.

Sky Dog wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I really like CD on the album, I like Rons additions and for me it's the best version of the song. They never did justice to it live until they kicked off this tour imo. As for SOD and Madagascar I agree but then I was burnt out on those two songs way before CD ever came out anyway.

I'm definitely against the majority regarding CITR though, I like the album version. Excluding Brian Mays solo I thought the leak was seriously lacking, the album version might go overboard the other way in terms of clutter but I find it far superior to the leak overall. I think the outro's fantastic, the combo of Axl and Rons guitar work is a real high point of the album for me.

I prefer the album version of Catcher as well. The only thing that really bugs me is Robin's outro solo over one of Axl's most lyrically brilliant moments. Let the words carry the weight.....not a pitchy guitar solo....drop it down in the mix or drop it out.:/

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Both solos are Ron.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Both solos are Ron.

read the booklet, main solo Ron, next Robin, then Ron with another few licks after Axl finishes the lyric "sometimes the only thing we counted on when no one else was there"

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I'm just going with my ears, the two big solos are Ron. I dont hear much in the way of Robin on that track.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

tejas: Yes. Yes I do feel like a douche. 16

I like your honesty. 22  16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Riad will always suck.

Riad is a bad ass musical jam. Will forever shock me that Stinson played a role in the creation of this track. It sounds more like Praxis than GNR, and Stinson can whine and moan about Bucket til the cows come home, but the two had chemistry and if/when Praxis ever do another album, would love to see Tommy guest on the album/band the way Bootsy collaborates with them. Will never happen of course because Tommy has to bitch about superior talent.

Axl is the weak link on this track, vocally and lyrically. Get him away from it because its outside his element. Would love for this to be a single in the one in a million chance an instrumental is its B side.

Board footer