You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Just listened to Chinese Democracy again...

Olorin wrote:

Meh, dont want to Rock the Boat or nuffin Axl, but I'm ready for my part 2 now please big_smile

Doesnt have to be right now but, you know, soon, would be good. Christmas would be a convenient time I predict. My secret amazing powers of forsight tell me the stars and moon will be in just the correct alignment around the time of Black Friday, so stay sharp and vigilant my bandannad friend cool

Sky Dog wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I'm just going with my ears, the two big solos are Ron. I dont hear much in the way of Robin on that track.

the booklet sucks, but it seems to be pretty accurate for the solos....at least to my ear.:peace:

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Meh, dont want to Rock the Boat or nuffin Axl, but I'm ready for my part 2 now please big_smile

Doesnt have to be right now but, you know, soon, would be good. Christmas would be a convenient time I predict. My secret amazing powers of forsight tell me the stars and moon will be in just the correct alignment around the time of Black Friday, so stay sharp and vigilant my bandannad friend cool

There are 38 Tuesdays left in the year...

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:
Axl S wrote:

There are 38 Tuesdays left in the year...

Oh God, not the Tuesday countdown again!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Riad will always suck.

Riad is a bad ass musical jam. Will forever shock me that Stinson played a role in the creation of this track. It sounds more like Praxis than GNR, and Stinson can whine and moan about Bucket til the cows come home, but the two had chemistry and if/when Praxis ever do another album, would love to see Tommy guest on the album/band the way Bootsy collaborates with them. Will never happen of course because Tommy has to bitch about superior talent.

Axl is the weak link on this track, vocally and lyrically. Get him away from it because its outside his element. Would love for this to be a single in the one in a million chance an instrumental is its B side.

Well I was trying to just "sum up" the track for me when breezing through the album...

But yeah, totally agree that the track gets stronger, if Axl is completely removed. Vocals are garbage, and completely distract you from the good stuff going on in the track.

Get In The Ring & Shotgun Blues had great & catchy riff's, but people just can't get past Axl's using those songs to take shots.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Everyday and every night, its on at the mo. This album and UYI2 are my most played albums of the last couple of years, UYI1 gets a lookin now and then, AFD, Lies and TSI are almost forgotten. Mabye I should play em more, especially Lies and TSI.
As for AFD, I'm burned out on it, I prefer live bootlegs now (old and new)for my Appetite fix.

I was workin yesterday and was listening to my minidisc player (thats right, minifookindisc) and at the end of my copy of The Wall Live, the first batch of new gnr leaks unexpectedly came on and some live 02 soundboard recordings of CD, The Blues and Maddy. CD sounded weak, but Maddy and The Blues were beautiful.
Madagascar has recently been my favourite song and I've been playing it as much as possible, but it was particuarly awesome to hear the old 2002 version after so long. Anyway I found myself singing and whistling along to it, walking with a bit of a fuck u all swagger.
I felt buzzed and charged up with the message of defiance and emotion of the song- familiarity I think has lessoned the impact of the song since its premier in 2001.
I used to feel, and probably still do, bulletproof after listening to AFD - like I could take on the world without breakin a sweat. The passion Axl expresses in Madagascar brought back that feeling that I used to get reguarly with GNR and it was a welcome return.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Madagascar is a criminally underrated song.

Top-5 on the album imo.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Everyday and every night, its on at the mo. This album and UYI2 are my most played albums of the last couple of years, UYI1 gets a lookin now and then, AFD, Lies and TSI are almost forgotten. Mabye I should play em more, especially Lies and TSI.
As for AFD, I'm burned out on it, I prefer live bootlegs now (old and new)for my Appetite fix.

I was workin yesterday and was listening to my minidisc player (thats right, minifookindisc) and at the end of my copy of The Wall Live, the first batch of new gnr leaks unexpectedly came on and some live 02 soundboard recordings of CD, The Blues and Maddy. CD sounded weak, but Maddy and The Blues were beautiful.
Madagascar has recently been my favourite song and I've been playing it as much as possible, but it was particuarly awesome to hear the old 2002 version after so long. Anyway I found myself singing and whistling along to it, walking with a bit of a fuck u all swagger.
I felt buzzed and charged up with the message of defiance and emotion of the song- familiarity I think has lessoned the impact of the song since its premier in 2001.
I used to feel, and probably still do, bulletproof after listening to AFD - like I could take on the world without breakin a sweat. The passion Axl expresses in Madagascar brought back that feeling that I used to get reguarly with GNR and it was a welcome return.

While I haven't listened to it in a long time and was a bit underwhelmed by it,  its cool that the record does hit some people on an emotional level like that. I know a lot of us bitch about certain aspects of the saga, but in reality it all comes down to the music.

You're right about the familiarity of the album. We were all so burnt out on the songs long before it was released, and the few unheard songs on the album weren't enough to sustain my interest in it or keep the album in my stereo.

Had the album been released in 2001-02, he would have hit us over the head with a sledgehammer. We got a popcorn fart instead.

14 In the mid 90s, I was doing the same thing. Instead of listening to AFD, Lies, or UYI, I was listening to Rock In Rio, Rockin' In Chile, Live in Argentina, For Motherfuckers Only, and various other GNR import bootlegs that cost an arm and a leg at the time.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I don't think I could ever get burned out on AFD.  I can listen to Appetite all the way through, but I hit skip a lot on CD.

Sky Dog wrote:
Olorin wrote:

when OMG came out, I must say I was disappointed. The song had it's moments but I wasn't expecting something like that from "Gnr". I heard all the stories of the direction Ax was going but I just didn't think he would put that in public after such a long layoff.

Skip to 2001 and Rio, as soon as I heard Madagascar and saw the video, I was floored. Now, that is what I have been waiting for. An extremely personal track with epic wails, slow burning rhythm, killer synth, and some kickass guitar fills. Just what I had imagined for a new epic, modern "Axl" classic. The guitars kick in with the MLK quotes etc, backed by a KILLER guitar solo. I am shitting my pants. Then, ....

fast forward to 2002..meh....where did the killer Bucket wah wah solo go? Yeah, he sort of does it, but I really can't hear it.

fast forward to 2006, can't really get in to it at all.

fast forward to 2008, just can't listen to the studio version at all. Good, but so DISAPPOINTED in how the final version was released. It's a shame because it has some of Axl's best lyrics ever. Simple, straight forward, heartfelt without being angry and petty.

Board footer