You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ll_tj1
 Rep: 8 

Re: Slash - Crucify The Dead

ll_tj1 wrote:

Probably not the correct section so move if needed, but...anyway... when Chinese Democracy came out nearly everyone tried to link the song Sorry as a song meant for Slash from Axl, personally I'm not quite sure about that, though it's entirely possible but..Crucify The Dead sounds like a possible link to Axl from Slash, I'm curious to know if Slash is being given credits for the lyrics in that song, although it's entirely possible Ozzy, or whomever wrote the lyrics based it from Slash's perspective of Axl. I know this is a reach but the lyrics speak for themselves, the majority of them are things Slash has said in one way or another over the years.

The fire started long ago
The flames burned out, still embers glow
So charred and black
There's nothing left to burn, to burn

We had the same dream
Lived life to extreme
A loaded gun jammed by a rose
The thorns are not around your head
Your ego cursed you till you bled
You cannot crucify the dead
To me you're dead, yeah

The future is unset in stone
Decisions past leave you alone
Betrayed us all with your own selfish greed, your greed, yeah
New soldiers now say
That your beggars collect
Re-crucified and paid by you
To me you're dead, yeah

We were like brothers with the world in our hands
You always have too much to say
Someday you look back and you wonder why
You let it all slip away, yeah

Crucify the dead
Crucify the dead

To me you're dead, yeah

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Ozzy wrote em and said they are not about Axl, or Slash said that. Believe what you want.

Sky Dog wrote:

yeah right...and Sorry isn't about Slash either. Both songs are direct shots. I like it....kinda like the Rap wars...

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
madagas wrote:

yeah right...and Sorry isn't about Slash either. Both songs are direct shots. I like it....kinda like the Rap wars...

Yeah cos a bunch of people killing each other was great

Sky Dog wrote:

no, not that part obviously...just the lyrical jabs. "Wars" was the wrong word...lighten up Cowboy.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
madagas wrote:

Yeah cos a bunch of people killing each other was great

lol

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Ozzy / Classic Rock 04/10 wrote:

I helped write the lyrics and melody for the song with my producer. It's kind of about what I think happened to Guns N' Roses. I often say to Slash 'Y'know what? One day you guys are going to wake up and go "What the fuck did we have and why did we blow it?". The song's what I'd be singing to Axl if I was Slash, y'know, 'They can't crucify you when you're dead'.

It's very much about Axl, in a sense. Ozzy says he and his produced helped write the lyrics, presumably with Slash, so you can't zero it all down to the Prince of Dankness.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

It's obviously about Jerry Garcia.

- "Crucify the (Grateful) Dead"
- "The flames burned out, still embers glow" (Phil Lesh and Bob Weir touring after Jerry's death)
- "Lived life to extreme" (Jerry's hedonistic lifestlye)
- "A loaded gun jammed by a rose" (gun = syringe loaded with heroin, rose = grateful dead's main iconography)
- "The thorns are not around your head" (Jerry was not the messiah like his followers believed)

wink

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

They are DIRECT shots, but it might also mean something entirely different. I'm not falling for this shit anymore. I've seen it before.

I remember some fucking song written by a guitarist. Everyone knew it was about the ex-singer, and we gave them shit for it. So this "insider" guy asked about it, and the answer was: "It's about a relationship", hinting it was like...about a girl. They were all full of shit. It was about the singer, and we all knew it. The difference was that those who wrote the song didn't have the balls to actually say so.

While this song and Sorry might have been meant for someone else (I actually feel Sorry is more about the fans than Slash) they know damn well that the lyrics also fit so well to what we think it means, and they know it. They do it on purpose. Create that little controversy but then don't have the guts to actually say it like it or that it might actually mean this and that.

Spare me...

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Cool, never read the whole thing, but man, that's really hitting it home, isn't it?

Either way, Slash claims Ozzy wrote the lyrics. He supposedly wrote them about his (Ozzy's) relationships with other musicians, using the obvious Axl references as examples (amongst others, apprantly). So it is in fact about Axl, but also about musicians and egos in general (is that Zakk Wylde thing still an issue for him?). The fact that Slash didn't write it is basically irrelevant at this point. He admitted that it is obviously about Axl, that he knew it would be interpreted as such, and he went along with it anyway. He basically gave Ozzy his blessing for this.

Board footer