You are not logged in. Please register or login.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

Re: Slash - Crucify The Dead

emcitymisfit wrote:

Yeah, definitely. Never got the Sorry love. The solo is cool, reminds me of buckethead playing in a smoke filled blues club. cool image, hahaha.

But lyrically, virtually everything about the song is mediocre to cringe worthy.

Its not as blatantly about Slash as Crucify is about Axl, but to suggest that there's no relation is ridiculous. Axl said something to the effect that his songs derived inspiration from a variety of sources.

Big Gun
 Rep: 11 

Big Gun wrote:

If anyone here has CR special edition can check this out.

Ozzy says that he wrote the melody and lyrics with the story of GNR in mind.
"it's kind of what i think happened to GNR"

Then he goes on... I often say to Slash, You know what? One day you guys are going to wake the fuck up and go 'what the fuck did we have & why did we blow it?'
VR were good, SW is a great singer but it aint GNR. there is only one GNR. You can get The Beatles backing Axl & it woudnt be the same. It's kind of taking Keith Richards out of the Stones.  In fact for a while i thought GNR were the next Stones!

So the song is about what i'd be singing to Axl if I was Slash, you know: They cant crucify you when you're dead.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Naltav wrote:

Crucify The Dead is imo one of the weakest songs on his album. And definitely about Axl and the demise of the old lineup.

Axl about Sorry: "This song was NOT written about somebody I used to know"

If Sorry was about Slash, why would he go out of his way to deny it...? I see NO point to it!

People who have worked close with Axl have said that he is brutally honest. So I believe him on this one!

He denies it to not start a feud with Slash?  Slash denies it to do the same? 

Meanwhile they get to poke each other with sticks because the songs really are about the other person, but they have each successfully put in some doubt on whether or not that is true?  Makes sense to me.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
Olorin wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Whoever wrote this doesn't have the subtle lyrical abilities of Axl, that's for sure.

"I'd like to crush your head tight in my vice"

Axl's best worst lyric is, clearly, "It's such a pity that you're such a bitch."

Just makes me think of this:

GN'R should SO cover that. 14

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I don't think either song is strictly about either guy.  I believe Axl with his explanation of who/what the song is about.

Axl (www.chinesedemocracy.com 12/13/08): I tried sending this ages ago but apparently it never went through. It was a direct response but now fits others questions on the same subject.
The whole whose it about bit w/songs doesn't work for me that much as in whether a line or whatever was inspired by a particular person or situation doesn't mean that in the end that's what or who the song's about.
I could be working with clay and think of someone or something and somehow that could inspire me to take the work in a different direction at the moment but in the end it could just be a nice vase.
I often wonder where the people who inspired so many songs are now and why it's only important with some songs such as Layla as opposed to others. I'm guessin' a fair # of beautiful love songs or otherwise were inspired by some that the artists and public might consider now or in hindsight to be the opposite of how they are depicted or allegedly represented.
With Sorry.. like a lot of the material is drawn from a lot of different situations. The main focus on the boards w/the track seems to be either Slash or "the fans" (and the collective of "the fans" is another thing that doesn't work for me) and is much too restrictive or narrow and limits what I feel I intended.
For me it's for anyone talking nonsense at mine and the public's expense and that many of those as well as the public don't know who to believe.
Also where possible I'd like to give people the opportunity to get what they can from the material for a while before clouding that with my inspirations. Of course that's not always avoidable.

Of course, I'm sure Slash falls under that category for Axl, so in a sense the song is about him.  But I think it's much broader than that.

Same thing for "Crucify The Dead".  It's been said that the lyrics were written by Ozzy about things he's experienced or seen happen.  So I'm sure some of it may be about his days in Black Sabbath and a great deal of it is about his interpretation of the breakup of GNR.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Sky Dog wrote:
faldor wrote:

I don't think either song is strictly about either guy.  I believe Axl with his explanation of who/what the song is about.

Axl (www.chinesedemocracy.com 12/13/08): I tried sending this ages ago but apparently it never went through. It was a direct response but now fits others questions on the same subject.
The whole whose it about bit w/songs doesn't work for me that much as in whether a line or whatever was inspired by a particular person or situation doesn't mean that in the end that's what or who the song's about.
I could be working with clay and think of someone or something and somehow that could inspire me to take the work in a different direction at the moment but in the end it could just be a nice vase.
I often wonder where the people who inspired so many songs are now and why it's only important with some songs such as Layla as opposed to others. I'm guessin' a fair # of beautiful love songs or otherwise were inspired by some that the artists and public might consider now or in hindsight to be the opposite of how they are depicted or allegedly represented.
With Sorry.. like a lot of the material is drawn from a lot of different situations. The main focus on the boards w/the track seems to be either Slash or "the fans" (and the collective of "the fans" is another thing that doesn't work for me) and is much too restrictive or narrow and limits what I feel I intended.
For me it's for anyone talking nonsense at mine and the public's expense and that many of those as well as the public don't know who to believe.
Also where possible I'd like to give people the opportunity to get what they can from the material for a while before clouding that with my inspirations. Of course that's not always avoidable.

Of course, I'm sure Slash falls under that category for Axl, so in a sense the song is about him.  But I think it's much broader than that.

Same thing for "Crucify The Dead".  It's been said that the lyrics were written by Ozzy about things he's experienced or seen happen.  So I'm sure some of it may be about his days in Black Sabbath and a great deal of it is about his interpretation of the breakup of GNR.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Ozzy's explanation was straightforward...it was about Gnr. He said it himself. Axl's response is a little more well thought out and fleshed out. It was directed at multiple people (as a lot of his songs are)...Slash is definitely one of his targets.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

that statement is pretty much the same idea as he spoke about brownstone at the adler trial 16

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Saikin wrote:
Naltav wrote:

Crucify The Dead is imo one of the weakest songs on his album. And definitely about Axl and the demise of the old lineup.

Axl about Sorry: "This song was NOT written about somebody I used to know"

If Sorry was about Slash, why would he go out of his way to deny it...? I see NO point to it!

People who have worked close with Axl have said that he is brutally honest. So I believe him on this one!

He denies it to not start a feud with Slash?  Slash denies it to do the same? 

Meanwhile they get to poke each other with sticks because the songs really are about the other person, but they have each successfully put in some doubt on whether or not that is true?  Makes sense to me.

I agree. Both guys are lying if the say their song is not about the other.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I always figured the first verse was about his detractors in the media and Guns fanbase, while the 2nd verse was directed squarely at Slash. I think the lines at the very end of the song under the drum rolls are aimed at all of them together.
The chorus is to his long term supporters caught in the crossfire of the battle of words.

Board footer