You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Rumors building up regarding CDII release date...

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

They shouldn't announce one f'n thing in regards to a new album or tour unless it is concrete official. Personally, having a carrot dangled in front of my face for ten years was enough. All action or nothing.

I agree 10000000000000%. I am sick of the faux mystery and its a huge turn off for me at this point. I'll take silence until something really happens over hints of bullshit they cant and wont back up.

At some point in the near future I'd love to see Axl step away from the GNR name for a year or two and do a supergroup project like the Traveling Wilburys. Grab a few legends and put together something quick.

It'll never happen of course, but he could thrive in something of that magnitude.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

He could never work with something that he didnt control 100%....

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
mickronson wrote:

He could never work in something that he didnt control 100%....

I agree, and its a huge weakness on his part because in the post 91 era, the weight of the GNR world is on his shoulders and obviously plays a role in the lack of action he takes and the stagnation of his career in his prime.

Throw him in a room with five 'legends', it becomes an instant collaboration and with people of equal(or superior) talent, years of twiddling thumbs turns into a few weeks of creativity that actually produces something.

It also takes a lot of pressure off of him. Even as the voice he wouldn't be the main focus.

The guy has always sold himself short, which is unfortunate.

He could have easily done a project like this during the wait for Chinese.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

Off-Topic, but I've been worried for the last couple years about a new Wilbury-tyoe release coming from a bunch of guys who were never in the same room together and just e-mail files to one another.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

Off-Topic, but I've been worried for the last couple years about a new Wilbury-tyoe release coming from a bunch of guys who were never in the same room together and just e-mail files to one another.

Me too - I heard some website was trying to put something like this together in fact...

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

^  Ha

For the record though, I meant it more as co-writing/arranging and different singers trading verses mid-song.  Which I think of as Wilbury or Highwaymen trademarks.  It's been a while since something like that existed, and when it does I'd lay odds they don't hang out and put it together organically like those bands did.

Hell, I remember Axl talking about turning down a Sinatra duet years ago because he wouldn't have been able to actually work with Sinatra, he would get mailed the song and sing on it by himself.  So it's been a long time coming.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
mickronson wrote:

I agree, and its a huge weakness on his part because in the post 91 era, the weight of the GNR world is on his shoulders and obviously plays a role in the lack of action he takes and the stagnation of his career in his prime.

Throw him in a room with five 'legends', it becomes an instant collaboration and with people of equal(or superior) talent, years of twiddling thumbs turns into a few weeks of creativity that actually produces something.

It also takes a lot of pressure off of him. Even as the voice he wouldn't be the main focus.

Just curious who those "legends" would be.

Axl - vocals
Brian May - guitar
Steve Jones - bass
Don Henley - drums
Elton John - piano

?

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

Hell, I remember Axl talking about turning down a Sinatra duet years ago because he wouldn't have been able to actually work with Sinatra, he would get mailed the song and sing on it by himself.  So it's been a long time coming.

...then he released an album with people who had never even met.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
mickronson wrote:

Just curious who those "legends" would be.

Axl - vocals
Brian May - guitar
Steve Jones - bass
Don Henley - drums
Elton John - piano

?

It would never happen.  Who is going to want to work with a guy known mostly for doing nothing?  Those guys aren't going to put up with Axl's crap and neither is anybody else that isn't under contract because they have no other options at the time.

Sky Dog wrote:

Axl is as talented as anyone on that list. Why would he need to work with them under any set of circumstances?

Board footer