You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Dj Ashba and Dizzy Reed: "We're working on a new album"

-D- wrote:

They writing songs, and Axl LIKING said songs is two altogether different things.

I think Axl should take 6-8 of the best of whatever is left from the CD sessions, write 6 new songs with this band, and put that out.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

D, good point... Is this line up a "touring" line up only?  For pure writing, you know he would love to have bucket and finck to an extent hanging around.

-D-

-D- wrote:
Neemo wrote:

yes but if diehard fans dont give a shit anymore then why should joe-average?

yes diehards cared back in 2002-2006 but when the album was released alot of forum people were over it when typically they would be the ones calling radios stations and what not requesting GnR and creating a buzz

i don't know about that to be honest.

in reality, how many die hard fans posts on these forums? maybe 500 or so? im not talking about registered users, i am talking about people who post everyday or at least once a week or what have you.

CD still sold 600k in the US and a few million worldwide. so i think we are the huge minority even though we follow it and obsess over it the most.

music all comes down to hits.. if u have a hit or two, your album sells, if your first single flops, ur album is DOA.

CD is a good album, but has no hits on it. thats the problem. there are no anthems or anything GNR sounding on it.

I feel the leaks destroyed the album for me. The time I got the album, i had already worn out all the songs. I couldn't imagine how much more amazing CD would've been hearing all that new for the first time 1-14.

when u get 1 song at a time, its very easy to burn that song out quickly, cause its the only one u got, whereas if u have an entire 14 song CD, it takes a good year and a half or so to truly burn it out.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I'm not so certain how much singles drive album sales.  Haven't Alice In Chains had a few successful singles from their latest album?  And to my knowledge, while the album has sold well it hasn't exactly blown up like those hit singles would indicate.

Obviously having hit singles doesn't hurt, but it's not everything.  Not in the rock world at least.  It's still what drives Pop albums though.  Maybe the singles need to chart on the Hot 100 list like Nickelback and not just the Mainstream Rock chart.  That's just so rare for legitimate rock bands these days.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

Whe I log onto the main page of gnrevolution.com i see this

Guns N Roses
Chinese Democracy Out Now
Latest post: 13 mins ago by faldor
in Dj Ashba and Dizzy Reed: "We'r...

and no matter how many times I see it I can't help but think the ... actually means:

Dj Ashba and Dizzy Reed: "We'r in Love and plan to be Wed

-D-

-D- wrote:
faldor wrote:

I'm not so certain how much singles drive album sales.  Haven't Alice In Chains had a few successful singles from their latest album?  And to my knowledge, while the album has sold well it hasn't exactly blown up like those hit singles would indicate.

Obviously having hit singles doesn't hurt, but it's not everything.  Not in the rock world at least.  It's still what drives Pop albums though.  Maybe the singles need to chart on the Hot 100 list like Nickelback and not just the Mainstream Rock chart.  That's just so rare for legitimate rock bands these days.

Kid Rock's Rock N Roll Jesus was dead on the charts.. had went gold, and sunk like a stone.
he released the single 'All Summer Long" which was a smash and the album almost went double platinum

Bon Jovi's Have A nice Day was dead as the first single flopped at radio..they release Who Says You Cant Go Home, number 1 single on country radio, gigantic hit on pop radio, album goes from 500k to 2 million.

singles matter big time

Velvet Revolver go back to back number 1 singles with Slither and FTP. CB sells 2 million

Libertad both singles flop, sold shit.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Well there you go, those are two examples where singles hit big time with the "pop" audience.  Like I said, that's rare.  Alice In Chains had two very successful singles in the "rock" world from their latest album and it has sold 500K copies.

Those examples are also from YEARS ago.  Things are changing on a daily basis in the music business.  I realize everything has to be viewed on a relative scale.

And I don't care if Chinese Democracy had the modern day "Stairway To Heaven" on it.  The sales came from the curiosity and anticipation, not from the quality or lack thereof.  Most people had their minds made up if they were going to buy the album or not before they heard one note.  And the complete lack of a promotional and marketing campaign certainly didn't help boost sales. 

If a follow up is released in a similar fashion it will suffer the same fate, regardless of how good the songs are.  And I'm with Axl on this one.  Hit singles don't just appear by themselves.  They need to be pushed down peoples throats by the powers that be.  There was no chance of GNR getting any help in that department after all the crap they went through with Universal over the years.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

They didn't help themselves so it doesn't really matter whether or not Uni was willing to sink more money into it. They were smart not to as the money just would have went into a black hole.

I don't think we have to worry about the follow up for awhile. Axl's last comment was "don't know, don't care", and Bumblefoot just destroyed the rumor of a second album next year, and also admitted this lineup still hasn't recorded anything yet.

The only thing for fans to legitimately hope for is a show in their area.

faldor

faldor wrote:

It became pretty clear that neither side was going to budge because they didn't want to spend any time or effort to make the other money, in the case of CD. 

I also am not expecting a follow up anytime soon.  I am patiently awaiting a US tour, but the wait is beginning to rival the wait for CD.  Well not quite, but it is kind of strange.

-D-

-D- wrote:
faldor wrote:

Well there you go, those are two examples where singles hit big time with the "pop" audience.  Like I said, that's rare.  Alice In Chains had two very successful singles in the "rock" world from their latest album and it has sold 500K copies.

Those examples are also from YEARS ago.  Things are changing on a daily basis in the music business.  I realize everything has to be viewed on a relative scale.

And I don't care if Chinese Democracy had the modern day "Stairway To Heaven" on it.  The sales came from the curiosity and anticipation, not from the quality or lack thereof.  Most people had their minds made up if they were going to buy the album or not before they heard one note.  And the complete lack of a promotional and marketing campaign certainly didn't help boost sales. 

If a follow up is released in a similar fashion it will suffer the same fate, regardless of how good the songs are.  And I'm with Axl on this one.  Hit singles don't just appear by themselves.  They need to be pushed down peoples throats by the powers that be.  There was no chance of GNR getting any help in that department after all the crap they went through with Universal over the years.

U are wrong big time. If CD has a gigantic single, it triples what it sold in the US>

I show u several big time examples, and i didn't even play the Nickelback card on u, and u are gonna rebuttal with Alice in Fucking Chains?

A early 90's band with a new lead singer that never sold that many records anyway..... them selling 500k just shows u how much having two singles HELPED that album. if they have no hits like CD had.. that thing barely sells 100k.

Board footer