You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Dj Ashba and Dizzy Reed: "We're working on a new album"

Axlin16 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Ive never understood people's appeal to Better.. the intro is horrible, it gets repetitive... it has some great guitar playing but i just never saw it as a big time single.

I think If The World was the most commercial song on there.

It's a hit single, but agree on that intro. That was the FIRST thing I changed was the intro when I was remixing.

I made it a guitar solo intro, then just kicked into the song. I also cut out the outro.

That soft "no one ever told me when I was alone, they just thought i'd know Better... Better"

Unneccessary, and it kind of sandbags the song.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Gong wrote:

I think that a total lack of Slash killed the albums chance of success.

Not even close.

Actually he's right depending on how you're looking at it.  An album with Axl and Slash would have far outdone CD even if the music was somehow worse.

I both agree and disagree. On one hand, i have no doubts at all, that an album of Axl and Slash would be insanely awesome, as seperately they're both in great form (IMHO) and I'd love to feel that chemestry when you put stuff like Axl's new higher screams, to slash's more sophisticated modern shreds. So i don't doubt that such an album would be kickass and dwarf sales of their "solo" type projects.

However at the same time I think saying slash's absence killed a chance of success is incorrect as it implies Axl could never make a sucessful album sans slash, no matter what,  and while I agree slash is a key element of classic GNR, and essential to making an album the same as that, I do think it's possible for Axl to be sucessful without him in a different style, just as slash is currently sucessful without axl.

I consider VR to be different to GNR yet sucessful, and I think New GNR could have been different to GNR yet also sucessful.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
mickronson wrote:

the songs just arent what joe public want.. only us nutswingers, not much else to discuss.  It had its chance, it got airtime but no one gave a shit about it.

You sir are no nutswinger. So stop pretending that you are!

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Ive never understood people's appeal to Better.. the intro is horrible, it gets repetitive... it has some great guitar playing but i just never saw it as a big time single.

I think If The World was the most commercial song on there.

It's a hit single, but agree on that intro. That was the FIRST thing I changed was the intro when I was remixing.

I made it a guitar solo intro, then just kicked into the song. I also cut out the outro.

That soft "no one ever told me when I was alone, they just thought i'd know Better... Better"

Unneccessary, and it kind of sandbags the song.

SueEllen, "you're a drunk, a tramp , and an unfit mother" The only part I like about Better is the beginning...too funny, we all have our different perspectives and tastes.:haha:

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

However at the same time I think saying slash's absence killed a chance of success is incorrect as it implies Axl could never make a sucessful album sans slash, no matter what,  and while I agree slash is a key element of classic GNR, and essential to making an album the same as that, I do think it's possible for Axl to be sucessful without him in a different style, just as slash is currently sucessful without axl.

Well, he's yet to make a successful album without Slash, and history says he has one shot at it.  And to be fair, I'd say Slash has been equally unsuccessful without Axl.  That doesn't mean that some people don't enjoy their new efforts, but neither of them scratched the surface of what an Axl/Slash album would have done. 

That's all I'm saying.  It has nothing to do with liking this or disliking that.  That doesn't matter.  Success is a big picture thing, not a "well I like it so I consider it a success" type of thing.  Good for you if you like VR or the new band.  Both are still not a success in the big scheme of things and no matter how you define success, neither has been as successful as they would have been making an album together. 

The rest is just like and dislike.  I like a lot of unsuccessful things and I don't like a lot of successful things.  I don't let the lack of success of things I like ruin it for me.  I understand that it may limit the opportunity for me to enjoy it in the future, but I know I can't do anything about it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

yeah i hear what you're saying...but then realisticly nothing they could ever do would l ever be as sucessful as Ax/Slash together was....I mean the 1990s peak of the band...the UYI tour....GNR were basicly the biggest band in the world.....that's a benchmark that 99% of musical acts, even acts we'd consider sucessful in the industry over all - don't reach.

I enjoy both VR and New GNR, but it depends on how you define sucesss. sure by UYI stands neither is sucessful, but to me VR was successful as a viable band in the public...some hits etc....and I could see Axl achieving a similar level of sucess in the future with guns.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

yeah i hear what you're saying...but then realisticly nothing they could ever do would l ever be as sucessful as Ax/Slash together was....I mean the 1990s peak of the band...the UYI tour....GNR were basicly the biggest band in the world.....that's a benchmark that 99% of musical acts, even acts we'd consider sucessful in the industry over all - don't reach.

That's a given.  My point isn't that.  My point is that had they made an album in 2008, it would have been more successful than CD was.  I'm not comparing it to the old stuff.  I'm trying to compare real current to what could have been current. 

I guess it goes back to my post in the other thread.  People (in general) don't want Axl and they don't want Slash.  They want Axl and Slash.  Anything else is not the real thing, and therefore doesn't get the attention it may deserve.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Gong wrote:

I think that a total lack of Slash killed the albums chance of success.

Not even close.

Actually he's right depending on how you're looking at it.  An album with Axl and Slash would have far outdone CD even if the music was somehow worse.

Yup.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It would've been, but even the highest achievement of CD, let's say 2x plat, would've been 4x plat w/ Slash.

Board footer