You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Dj Ashba and Dizzy Reed: "We're working on a new album"

misterID wrote:

Well, you're basing that on imaginary music Axl and Slash would have made and comparing it to the real music CD is. I seriously can't even imagine, at this stage in their careers, what that album would sound like and who it would appeal to.

The tour would have been huge, though. But I'm not going to say an album would have been. Not by a long shot. Even the biggest band names struggle with album sales. For some reason I keep thinking of Motley Crue; they have a greatest hits album that goes #1 and massively successful tour and a big stinker of an original "reunion" album.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:
misterID wrote:

Well, you're basing that on imaginary music Axl and Slash would have made and comparing it to the real music CD is. I seriously can't even imagine, at this stage in their careers, what that album would sound like and who it would appeal to.

But think of all the great angry rockers Axl would write having to work with Slash 22

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

That's a given.  My point isn't that.  My point is that had they made an album in 2008, it would have been more successful than CD was.  I'm not comparing it to the old stuff.  I'm trying to compare real current to what could have been current.

Ahh ok. Yeah I think i'd agree with that. Realisticly, I think that would be the case regardless of quality too, like basicly the public wants Axl and Slash together and doesn't fully accept either alone. So like hypothetically, even if it somehow sucked (unlikely!), I think the mere presence of both of them on an album would probably cause it to outsell CD just from the PR angle of a reunion alone.

And of course in my mind there is no way in hell it would suck. Axl has a one in a million voice and ability with lyrics and melody, and slash plays guitar like no one else does, bottom line is when their musical styles have intersected it's awesome.

But that said, I do enjoy everyone's solo stuff too. I'm still digging slash's solo album a lot, and chinese i think has some of my favourite songs of all time on there as well. So while i can dream of the awesomness of a new classic guns album, the current enviroment still provides me with amazing music too.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

The tour would have been huge, though. But I'm not going to say an album would have been. Not by a long shot. Even the biggest band names struggle with album sales. For some reason I keep thinking of Motley Crue; they have a greatest hits album that goes #1 and massively successful tour and a big stinker of an original "reunion" album.

Motley Crue NEVER sold the amount of records that Guns N' Roses sold. GN'R was on a U2-level in it's old days. Granted U2 doesn't really knock down sales records these days either...

But if CD can go Gold, Axl & Slash farting into a mic for 12 tracks as a reunion album could at least go 4x platinum.

And I think combing CD, Slash's solo efforts, Duff's Loaded, and Izzy's solo efforts, into a mesh pit of an album would give you an idea.

Take their best tracks individually, and I think you've got an amazing Guns N' Roses album in 2010.

The problem is listening to ALL Axl, ALL Slash, ALL Duff, ALL Izzy, and it's just too much of one thing. It starts to become repetitive. CD had no marketing and went Gold. A reunion album with proper promo, and Slash & Duff pimping the shit out of it, would probably be around the 4x plat range. I don't think that's an unreasonable number.

However, from that point forward, any future album, unless reunited-GN'R had mega hits/downloads, each future album would slowly decline into probably the same range of Metallica & U2 these days.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

A reunited GNR releasing an album that sells 4 million copies here?? I highly doubt that. At this point in the game I'm wondering if a tour would even do great business. The success of an album is an even bigger question mark.

Best case scenario would be a Steel Wheels type comeback with a good album that has a few great songs. I don't see such an album connecting with four million people here. To pull in those types of numbers requires the youth to be snatching those albums off the shelves, and that's just not gonna happen for an act that would be in their early 50s. Kids aren't gonna be dancing in the street to their parents and grandparents idols. Fuck, Lady GaGa cant even pull in those numbers and her songs are everywhere and she's relevant, but a 50-55 year old Axl and Slash can?

Only way they could even dream of such numbers is a Wal Mart exclusive, Wal Mart pushes it and does it really cheap, and all their shoppers grab it from the display while being in line buying a gallon of punch and pack of bologna.

Anything less and it just isn't happening.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's been done before though.

Ac/Dc are guys in their 50s and 60s and their last album sold 6 million coppies, and was indeed snatched up by the youth despite the fact that they could be the grandparents of the purchachers.

And that was after an 8 year absence - which is half the lifespan of the average kid who buys records surely.

I know it's not a direct comparision.

But I also think if the songs were there, if the PR machine was in full swing, if maybe it had the wallmart thing or something driving it as well like that did, Axl and Slash have the iconic nature to pull it off.

It's sure as hell not a sure thing, but I wouldn't see it as impossible either.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It's been done before though.

Ac/Dc are guys in their 50s and 60s and their last album sold 6 million coppies, and was indeed snatched up by the youth despite the fact that they could be the grandparents of the purchachers.

And that was after an 8 year absence - which is half the lifespan of the average kid who buys records surely.

Only way they could even dream of such numbers is a Wal Mart exclusive, Wal Mart pushes it and does it really cheap, and all their shoppers grab it from the display while being in line buying a gallon of punch and pack of bologna.

That's why that album sold. Also factor in most fans have a feeling that this was their swan song. It also had a hit song, something that GNR has struggled with for almost twenty years. Their album wasn't on Itunes either. You either had to buy it at Wal Mart or download it on torrents, even if you were only interested in one song. GNR is on Itunes.

Apples and oranges....

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

No it's not. AC/DC is the same freakin' market. A hard rock band that appeals to ALL ages.

AC/DC sold Black Ice based on Rock n' Roll Train. You telling me Axl, Slash, Izzy & Duff don't have a Rock N' Roll Train in them?

Hell, Ghost with Axl on vocals could do that.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

at this stage in the game gnr does not do 4 million cds's in the US regardless of who the guitar player is.  if a huge hit comes out of nowhere - they would sell a ton of dl's for that song but would not sell 4 million cd's. this is not the 90's or even the 00's.

Sky Dog wrote:

Too drunk to read it all but I never want Gnr (the original band) to come back and release shit like Aerosmith and AC/DC do now. Aerosmith was done in 1977...Gnr was done in 1991. AC/DC was done with Back in Black. The Stones were done after Some Girls in 78...I would rather see Axl and the new guys forge their own path than be crushed by a shit "original" Gnr new studio album. That being said, I would like to see Axl and Slash do something together.

Board footer