You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: Dublin, Ireland - September 1, 2010 (The O2)

jamester wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to give us this review Stepvhen!   Whoever said GnR needs a Pr group could not be more right.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Yeah good stuff Stepvhen, Im not sure about your Danko times, maybe they are right, i thought he finished earlier but i agree and can confirm everything else.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

Those Danko times could well be off. I zoned completely when they were on to be honest

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I do think that some of the press stories seem to focus a little too much on the fact that he left the stage.  But the band actually did return and perform the rest of the show.

The comments from the Stinson vents at Del James story make it seem he just left and never came back to the arena when that is not the case.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

jamester062001 wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to give us this review Stepvhen!   Whoever said GnR needs a Pr group could not be more right.

I honestly think this is the most important thing the band could do at the moment. Everything comes down to controlling the message; if you don't take control of that, anyone can fill the void with whatever bullshit they like.

If GN'R had a competent PR team... well, there would've been a press release up within hours of the event, in which GN'R were painted as the heroes for returning to the stage and finishing the show in the face of a few asshole fans throwing bottles. The papers would take their line from that, because entertainment reporters are overworked and basically just rewrite press releases anyway. And that message - Axl is the Good Guy here - would percolate out through the media and into peoples' heads.

Instead... the venue got its press release out early, with a few barbs at the "recurring tardiness" of the band, and essentially painted Axl as the villain. They're covering their backs - of course they are - but overworked journos looking for a press release on the event found that, and took their cues from it. And that message - Axl the unstable, late-showing rockstar - is the one that filters out into the mainstream consciousness. And that makes audiences ill-disposed towards him from the outset, and more likely to... well, to do horrible shit like bottling the band.

For God's sake, Axl, get yourself a decent PR team. Unilaterally posting the odd rant on Twitter is not a joined-up PR strategy; if anything, it reinforces the notion of you as a loose cannon. It's all very well privately stropping about people twisting your words and journos making shit up - but the way to solve that is not to retreat into a private shell, it's to go and engage the services of a reputable PR firm, and DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU TO in order to take control of your public image.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

The guy next to me who shouted out, "No you fucking don't!" when Axl sang, "We go on stage around nine," made me chuckle, though. big_smile

estrangedpaul
 Rep: 5 

Stepvhen wrote:

Those Danko times could well be off. I zoned completely when they were on to be honest

They played from 8 until 9.30. Guns came on 10.30. Danko seemed to delay on purpose they were told Axl would be late. My guess is they were supposed to play 8 until 9.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Good review. Puts Axl's not moving into context too....like that was being painted as a tantrum when really it was probably just a safe place he could stand without getting more shit thrown at him. I'd have no tollerance for bullshit being thrown at me.

Board footer