You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Re: Epiphany

Stepvhen wrote:

I think the reason that new GNR is so badly received has a lot to do with the fact that you got so many Alternative/Indy Rock musicians playing in a classic rock band.

Tommy: punk
Fortus: Indy
Bucket: Avant Garde Acousticy funk instrumental
BBF: metaly noodly punky Avant Gardey Alt Rock
Finck: Industrial
Pitman: Toolesque Lusc stuff
Freese: Punky Industrial
Brain: Funk Alt Rock

I'd also go as far s to say that the reason DJ Ashba is being so well recieved is because hes a straight up Classic Rock guy.

As for Frank I don't know what his history is

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

No, it's got to do with a bunch of hired Guns trying to pass themselves off as a band.

There's no chemistry. It's no different than baseball. You don't have to be the Yankees, you just have to be the right group of guys. This is a bastardized version of even the new band.

That 2001 band had chemistry, so it ain't the fact Slash ain't there. Something went terribly awry post-Bucket. I don't know if it was just him, but it was never quite there again. That stage-feel...

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

franks is pretty much a cross of brain and fortus and tommy influences i think

but yeah the major departure from the old guns sound i think comes from the eclectic background of the current members for sure

on a slightly related note...i had a look through the Hal Leonard Guitar book at my local guitar shop and was kinda surprised at how many tunes are in Drop-D tuning...which is in itself a bit of a departure from a classic rock sound

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Hmm, i've always seen Frank as a classic rock drummer. A real Ringo Starr or Peter Criss-influenced type of guy.

I see alot of Adler in Frank.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

ever heard his music outside of gnr? he was in love spit love with Fortus and that richard baccus stuff is weird

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think the reason it was received badly is:

#1: Silence. Makes the general public lose focus, and makes the hardcore fan base depressed and irritable. Eddie trunk show was cool, axl's chats are cool, then there's nothing for years and all media traction is lost.

#2: Failure pre-ashba to replicate the old material properly. If you want to keep the GNR name, you need to demonstate to the public that you can deliver what they think of as the GNR experience. This doesn't mean the old guys per say - but in 2000 axl was singing with a new style voice and Robin was utterly changing the guitar parts. Considering the most famous parts of GNR were those guitar parts and axl's distinctive voice - was it any surprise that people felt confused?

Here in 2010, Ashaba brings the guitar parts closer to what an audience sings in their head, and, for the last few years, Axl has been back into a style that makes the audience go "yes that's axl".

The only question that remains, now that the band has the goods, is will the policitcs and silence continue to be allowed to erode the goodwill the band get's musically.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

ever heard his music outside of gnr? he was in love spit love with Fortus and that richard baccus stuff is weird

I'll check that out.

monkeychow wrote:

I think the reason it was received badly is:

#1: Silence. Makes the general public lose focus, and makes the hardcore fan base depressed and irritable. Eddie trunk show was cool, axl's chats are cool, then there's nothing for years and all media traction is lost.

#2: Failure pre-ashba to replicate the old material properly. If you want to keep the GNR name, you need to demonstate to the public that you can deliver what they think of as the GNR experience. This doesn't mean the old guys per say - but in 2000 axl was singing with a new style voice and Robin was utterly changing the guitar parts. Considering the most famous parts of GNR were those guitar parts and axl's distinctive voice - was it any surprise that people felt confused?

Here in 2010, Ashaba brings the guitar parts closer to what an audience sings in their head, and, for the last few years, Axl has been back into a style that makes the audience go "yes that's axl".

The only question that remains, now that the band has the goods, is will the policitcs and silence continue to be allowed to erode the goodwill the band get's musically.

I've said for awhile, the only way out of this pit is to send DJ & Axl in the studio and start cutting Shinedown-type tracks as Guns N' Roses. I love Bucket, but if There Was A Time ain't gonna impress 'em, nothing in that territory is.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Don't label Josh Freese as Punky Industrial.

I don't think Euphoria Morning sounds like punk or industrial.

Or Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken....

That guy can play anything he wants.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

The bands not well recieved because of the clumsy, ham fisted, uninterested way they have sold themselves. Theres been zero marketing of this band, zero efforts to properly introduce band members to the public, and so on and so on... ZzZzZzZz - I cant go on, its been said a million times 17

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I love Bucket, but if There Was A Time ain't gonna impress 'em, nothing in that territory is.

Yeah but the sad fact is most people never heard that song. Unless they already own CD.

It's just lack of exposure I think. GNR has two key things  - axl's awesome voice, and someone playing incredible guitar parts - be it slash, Bucket or Bumble.

Imagine if Axl played Letterman and played "If the world" or TWAT unpluged with just Bumble and Richard and him....:mosh:

Board footer