You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Epiphany

DCK wrote:

Axl could've come out and played whatever the hell he liked; people were excited for the potential of the new band then.

Really? Is that so? Because in 2002, no one really knew GNR was around, let alone in a new line-up.

Yes, WE waited for it. All of us hardcore fans keeping track of what went on when no one else did. People weren't excited, they had no clue!

Then there's the fact what MTV wants them to play. Unknown songs in this poppy-maintream galore of celebrities and popstars, or play it safe with Jungle and PC, at least people will know the songs and put two and two togheter even if Slash mysteriously had put a bucket on his face.

This MTV thing was at the way way wrong time. They could have done it in 2006 or even today. It would work much better than 2002. Axl or MTV thinking he/they could sneak out a new line-up out of the blue and people would understand what the hell was going on? Come on.

Sky Dog wrote:

this board literally lives in a fantasy world.....8 years after this alleged collapse, they are headlining one of the biggest festivals in the world and are scheduled to play a pretty big arena Euro tour....just like 2002. Evidently, the crap in between 2002 and 2010 hasn't deterred promoters from booking them for the SAME events and venues. Yet, some of you make it out like they can only play a 150 seat club in some burned out euro trash bar. What planet do you guys live on? Axl is an ass and in essence, a terrible businessman. But, DESPITE THAT, people still throw money at him.....just like they did in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, etc.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Yeah the gig they're playing in Australia is a pretty good score I'd have thought too....closing a major sporting event. Overall the band seems to be going stronger than in any of the modern eras to me.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't really care that Europe is willing to settle.  It says more about their taste in music than it does about the quality of the band.  Good for them.  When a US band can't make it in the US, it speaks volumes.  There's nothing fantasy about that.  When a US band that was the biggest band in the US for several years can't even tour the US, that's pretty bad.

When a man had everything in the world, threw it all away, and HAS to tour outside the US with a bunch of subs because he can't sell anybody on his new music, it's time to call it a day.  Based on setlists and locations they are playing, I'd say it's pretty clear Axl doesn't want to tour.  He can't tour here because he won't make enough money to make it worth his while.  It's sad really.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't really care that Europe is willing to settle.  It says more about their taste in music than it does about the quality of the band.  Good for them.  When a US band can't make it in the US, it speaks volumes.  There's nothing fantasy about that.  When a US band that was the biggest band in the US for several years can't even tour the US, that's pretty bad.

When a man had everything in the world, threw it all away, and HAS to tour outside the US with a bunch of subs because he can't sell anybody on his new music, it's time to call it a day.  Based on setlists and locations they are playing, I'd say it's pretty clear Axl doesn't want to tour.  He can't tour here because he won't make enough money to make it worth his while.  It's sad really.

Was that REALLY neccesary. All that little remark can lead to is this thread being derailed.

Europe thinks current GNR are a joke but they still play decent sized gigs here and they still sell a lot of tickets. Europe works better because the ammount of shows for a Euro Tour say 20-30 can be the same size as a US Tour. If they isntead did maybe six shows in the US, spread out across all major areas, GN'R could draw a good-sized crowd and play the US.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

EU and USA should be about the same... Both really lacking in anything else better to do at the moment.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

What would be the benifit in Axl calling it a day?

It wouldn't make him reunite, he'd probably just retire and watch TV all day or whatever.

It would be sad to never see him peform again, people like him don't come around often.

I also don't buy this idea that the usa wouldn't accept him perform when Canada, Australia and the European Union do. I don't argue that the average jo would prefer a reunion but you take it way too far.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't see a lot of people from the US disagreeing with me.  It is what it is.  The only time there is any interest in GnR in the US is when he does something stupid.  It's sad, but it's an accurate reflection of the situation.

The benefit is that Axl will no longer be dragging the name of the band through the mud.  To some that isn't much of a benefit, to some it is.  As far as I'm concerned, he's already retired.  He's phoning in the performances playing the same show over and over.  He's not what he used to be live (and he wasn't that good to begin with) - seeing him now with a bunch of 3rd generation replacement players would just ruin the memory of what he was.  If he's not planning a reunion - and it's pretty clear he isn't - and if he's not planning on releasing new music - and it's pretty clear he isn't - he may as well call it a day.  What he's doing now isn't cutting it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Buzzsaw is completely correct, with all due respect to the European posters here.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
Axl S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't really care that Europe is willing to settle.  It says more about their taste in music than it does about the quality of the band.  Good for them.

Was that REALLY neccesary. All that little remark can lead to is this thread being derailed.

funny shit. so, they play all over the world, not only europe, and people still pay to see the show, yet only the us knows what's good music. as i said, funny shit 16 i wonder what's in the top 10 now in the us?

anyway, the redhead throws a hissy fit and everybody on the boards forgets about civilized discussion. man, it's great to be a gnr fan again 16

Board footer