You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Chinese Renaissance

RussTCB wrote:

removed

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:

Great post. I too have had a bit of resurge in terms of listening to Chinese.

Fantastic album and your comments about prostitute are spot on. I too would prefer a slightly longer outro but shit the song is the perfect closer.

I still say, however, that the antiquiet version of Chinese (the song) kicks the albums arse. Just think it sounds ballsier without the added effects on axl's voice.

Roll on CD2.  (!)

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Good post.

Sorry really has gotten better to me and so has Scraped.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

nice post Russ!  CD is the only thing in my truck for the last few mnts. my kids are starting to sing along to some of it!  The copy and paste message in Madagascar hits me hard.  Shackler always gets me pumped!

I'm gonna tell you a story" (1)
"Stand up for righteousness!" (2)
"Eh...What?" (3)
"Stand up for justice"! (2)
"Eh...What?" (3)
"Stand up for truth!" (2)
"How can a person grow up with all this around them?" (4)
"You got to call on that something" (2)
"Where does it come from?" (5)
"That can make a way out of no way" (2)
"All this hatred?" (5)
"What we've got here is..." (3)
"Fear!" (4)
"That power that can make a way out of now no way" (2)
"Failure to communicate" (3)
"I tell ya I've seen the lightning flash...I've heard the thunder roll!" (2)
"Everybody's acting like we can do anything and it don't matter what we do. Maybe we gotta be extra careful because maybe it matters more than we even know..." (6)
"Sometimes..." (2)
"Hatred isn't somethin' you're born with" (7)
"I feel discouraged" (2)
"It gets taught" (7)
"Sometimes I feel discouraged" (2)
"I felt this ... fear" (4)
"He promised never to leave me, never to leave me alone, no never alone, no never alone!" (2)
"Let's get something straight, alright?" (8)
"Promised never to leave me!" (2)
"This whole thing was fucked up" (8)
"Never to leave me alone!" (2)
"All men betray. All lose heart!" (9)
"I don't want to lose heart!...I want to believe" (10)
"Black men and white men" (11)
"Together at the table of brotherhood!" (11)
"I have a dream" (11)
"Free at last! Free at last! Thank God almighty!! WE ARE FREE AT LAST!!" (11)

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

I guess I am in the minority.  I`m bored of Chinese, apart from the title track (depends what day it is), Better, IFW and TWAT.  I agree, Prostitute was a fitting end, but only the end of it, it just seems rushed to me..like he rushed 99% of it just to get the endtro in there, even BH sounded like he threw something in there last minute while on the toilet...Well, sounded like a plan to me anyway but its still a weak song and would anyone listen to it if not for the fact it was the last song there?....... nicely placed I think.

I lliked the whole cd at first but slowly, tracks fell off and I ended up with what I listen to now.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Nope not for me. I threw the album in my car at the start of summer thinking it might grow into my summer album but nope. There's no way. In fact is it's growing more and more stale. There's a few really good songs on the album but for the most part it lacks any type of organic feel or any type of charm. It's just not an album I can listening to for more than a  few songs. It all just sounds so artificial and forced in my opinion. I can't relate to the album on any level really so perhaps that's my problem with it. That or it's just not that good. Probably an equal combination of both

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Good post.  I still LOVE the album, and that increases each day.  I have yet to tire from the album.  Sure I'd love to get NEW music, but it all still sounds new and fresh to me.  I know that sounds weird since the music is FAR from new and fresh, but that's just how it is.

It truly is one of my favorite albums of all time.  It's right up there with Appetite, and it clearly stands up with the rest of the GNR catalog to me.  Granted I was probably going to like it no matter what, but I didn't have to force it.  It all came quite naturally.  Most of the songs took a little time to grow on me.  Only a handful I liked instantly like Scarped, IRS, Sorry, and Street of Dreams.  It was well worth the wait in the end for me as well.  Again, I know that sounds crazy, but I dig it, what can I say?

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer