You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Chinese Renaissance

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Bono makes a good, general point regarding forum  junkies though. A lot of people try to justify the new by bashing the old when in reality its two separate entities.

To be fair, people do the same exact things in the opposite direction.  Whether it be Robin fans slamming DJ (no offense Russ), Slash fans slamming Robin, Buckethead fans slamming Ron.  It works both ways.

Are you insinuating that Bucket fans are biased? tongue

Of course not. 16

Fans of any particular artist are always going to be biased.  I just don't see the need to tear anyone down when defending another.  People are constantly taking shots at Axl and when I defend him I don't come in with, "yeah well Slash sucks."  It's just not necessary, or true, and it accomplishes nothing.  But for some reason people sometimes feel the need to go there.  But it does work both ways.  Let's not pretend like people just rip the ex-members and it ends there.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Yes. I'm ready to talk new music. I'm ready to move on from the Chinese Democracy era.

Hang in there another 10 years or so.  18

Who knows how long it will take for new music to come, if EVER.  But I don't think we're anywhere close.  Unless they're keeping things real tight lipped this time around, there's no evidence they've been working on anything new and with all the problems there were in getting CD out, I don't imagine releasing the rest of the material in the vault would be a walk in the park either.

Yeah, I know. I've contemplated calling it a day from this circus, because I don't really have a vested interest in the future, unless that new material is on the way.

Only other thing would be a reunion.

But touring the world for ten years playing Street of Dreams... come on... even the most diehard new band fans have got to be getting a bit tired of that. It's time for something new to arise.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Got to agree with Axlin and elevendayempire (and no, I don't think he's basing his opinion about the drums soley because Axl mentioned having a problem with it). AFD is pure Classic Rock now. Nothing wrong with that. Doesn't matter how great it is, it's still dated. It doesn't hold up like Nevermind does today. But that's not saying there's anything wrong with that.

I don't like Steven's playing either. Never did. I think he's a pretty mediocre drummer, but I wouldn't have it changed. Nor remove even the cow bell. Everything about AFD, flaws and all, are all part of a REAL story of that band, that album, that moment. Wouldn't change a thing.

The same could be said for UYI in that it was the perfect album for that line up at that time. Directionless, bloated, a mess. But wrapped around some epic and stunning music. I'd rather have that one kick ass UYI album without the filler, but those albums mean something too to GNR.

As does CD. The over production, insane perfectionism, revolving door of musicans, ect. But under all that is a fantastic fucking album. Wouldn't change a thing on it... Okay, I'd take off Ron and have all Bucket and Finck. But that's it!  wink

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

Got to agree with Axlin and elevendayempire (and no, I don't think he's basing his opinion about the drums soley because Axl mentioned having a problem with it). AFD is pure Classic Rock now. Nothing wrong with that. Doesn't matter how great it is, it's still dated. It doesn't hold up like Nevermind does today. But that's not saying there's anything wrong with that.

I don't like Steven's playing either. Never did. I think he's a pretty mediocre drummer, but I wouldn't have it changed. Nor remove even the cow bell. Everything about AFD, flaws and all, are all part of a REAL story of that band, that album, that moment. Wouldn't change a thing.

The same could be said for UYI in that it was the perfect album for that line up at that time. Directionless, bloated, a mess. But wrapped around some epic and stunning music. I'd rather have that one kick ass UYI album without the filler, but those albums mean something too to GNR.

As does CD. The over production, insane perfectionism, revolving door of musicans, ect. But under all that is a fantastic fucking album. Wouldn't change a thing on it... Okay, I'd take off Ron and have all Bucket and Finck. But that's it!  wink

AFD dooesn't hold up the way Nevermind does? Seriously? And you've never liked the drums on AFD? How is that even possible when the drums have sucha  groovey sleazy sound to them that makes up a  huge part of what AFD is. If you don't like Steven's drumming on it how can you even like the album?  I don't get that at all.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

Yeah, it sucks he used the name because it really de-values the kickass band he has now and has always had since Slash left. I don't like it either. But, in the end, I see the whole thing as two completely different eras and entities. There was the real "band" era and now there is the "Axl" only era. You can't recreate 1987-1991. It was perfect.

We got to live in the present and the present ain't too bad. The band is very tight and Axl is kicking some ass. They look good and sound good. Outside of some new music, what more can you ask for?:/

misterID

misterID wrote:

AFD dooesn't hold up the way Nevermind does? Seriously? And you've never liked the drums on AFD? How is that even possible when the drums have sucha  groovey sleazy sound to them that makes up a  huge part of what AFD is. If you don't like Steven's drumming on it how can you even like the album?  I don't get that at all.

Yep. Nevermind is still having an impact on mainstream music, good or bad, with bands copying the simplistic rock/punk/pop structure of Nirvana. Way more than they are the Bluesy/classic/epic structure of AFD era GNR.

Steven's drumming is very mediocre, nothing special. But it fit. I already said it wouldn't sound the same with anyone else behind the drums on AFD. But it doesn't change my opinion that he IS very mediocre. Don't find anything groovy, or sleazy about his drumming. Just my opinion, but if it weren't for the other guys his drumming wouldn't be anything special.

Sky Dog wrote:

I agree on Steven....not on Nevermind though. I think both records are very influential and both are drop dead classics....neither being more important than the other.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I'm really not comparing the records, just that more bands today are ripping off Nevermind than AFD -- That Nevermind holds up better against modern rock right now, AFD is much more on par with Classic Rock. Not saying that's good or bad.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

AFD excites a bar of peole younga nd old much more than Nevermind does in the year 2010. Whether or not new bands are being influenced by one or the other has absolutely nothing to do with how a record holds up 20 years later.  Of course most young bands are more likely to play Nirvana style music than AFD  type music. It's because it's much easier to play.  But I don't see Nirvana having any kind of real influence on hard rock bands today. Take for example bands like Rev Theory or Buckcherry. You're telling me they're more influenced by Nivana then Gn'R? I don't think so.

Board footer