You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: Chinese Renaissance

slashsfro wrote:

There's a better sound on the drums with Steven than Matt.  His drumming just seems kind of stale (Sorum).  The drums and bass on AFD are fine.  I'm not exactly sure how you can improve it without altering the flow of the songs anyway.

Sky Dog wrote:

the drums on AFD are fine....I just don't think they are NEAR as important as the bass, guitars, and vocals.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:

AFD excites a bar of peole younga nd old much more than Nevermind does in the year 2010. Whether or not new bands are being influenced by one or the other has absolutely nothing to do with how a record holds up 20 years later.  Of course most young bands are more likely to play Nirvana style music than AFD  type music. It's because it's much easier to play.  But I don't see Nirvana having any kind of real influence on hard rock bands today. Take for example bands like Rev Theory or Buckcherry. You're telling me they're more influenced by Nivana then Gn'R? I don't think so.

Disagree.

It doesn't matter (and I agree) that AFD is a much better album, or how many people love it. That's not the argument. Nevermind could be released today and it would sound as fresh as it did back in 92. AFD sounds like a classic rock album. Dated vs. not dated.

And when you have to bring up Buck Cherry you're really scraping the bottom of the barrell.

wink

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

AFD released today?  are you fuckin ill?
I have to lol hard

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

And when you have to bring up Buck Cherry you're really scraping the bottom of the barrell.

wink

For some reason I just knew you'd make a lame comment like that which I will just say what non bottom of the barrel mainstreme bands that are ripping off Nirvana were you talking about? Do tell.  Is there some secret treasure chest of kick ass Nirvana clones that I'm unaware of being played on radio?

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I don't deny that Axl pointing out that the AFD drums sound a bit dated drew my attention to it. But he does have a point.

Mind you, I suspect that if the album was properly remastered it would gain a hell of a lot of punch. I doubt it'll ever happen, simply because of the tortuous internal politics of GN'R. In a right and just world, we'd have the Ritz show on DVD, a properly remastered AFD and Axl touring the follow-up to Chinese Democracy while Velvet Revolver hit the road with Chester Bennington.

sad

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

johndivney wrote:

i prefer org AFD to the MFSL one which sounds too poppy, kinda like a motley crue or bon fuckin jovi record (when they made good pop albums). i would like to see an axl -approved remaster but i can wait tbh - i'd prefer fresh developments instead of another AFD go-round.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

It's odd that Axl hasn't done an AFD remaster, actually; one of those "remasters with a couple of extra b-sides/demos" would be an easy cash-grab. Might be that he just doesn't want Slash and co to benefit.

The 25th anniversary is coming up in 2012, so that would be an obvious time to release a remastered version of the album. Stick, oh I dunno, Shadow of Your Love and a few of the (remastered) demos on there, pop the original artwork on the cover and get Del to whip up some liner notes... it'd be a money-spinner for minimal effort.

Sky Dog wrote:

sounds like a plan to me.....I definitely want the remastered version to have the original artwork.

Board footer