You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Chinese Renaissance

-D- wrote:

for me, I still love SOD,IF the world,TWAT,Shacklers,Sorry,TIL,Prostitute,Madagascar.. Catcher sometimes although i hate the intro and axl's vocals being buried.

Rest of it i can go the rest of my life without hearing. just very average.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I never really liked Better as much as most people, but I still think it's a great song.  Just never understood the overwhelming reception it got as the best of the leaks back in the day.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It was a great album the day it was released, and it's a great album now. Nothing has really changed for me.

Top overall track: There Was A Time
Runner-up: This I Love (with the guitar backing the orchestra)
Best rocker: Shackler's Revenge
Best ballad: There Was A Time
Most underrated track: Madagascar
Most overrated track: I.R.S.
Least overall track: Riad N' The Bedouins

Album rank:

AFD
CD
UYI II
UYI I
Lies
TSI

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Just a quick note related to this topic.  Listening to The Eddie Trunk show from last night on Sirius and a caller called in and asked him which he liked better, "Slash" or "Chinese Democracy".  He said that for him, "Slash" was a better record because it was more straight ahead rock and that CD had a lot going on in it.  He did say that the record has grown on him and there a lot of thing on it that he now really likes and that maybe down the line it'll be viewed as a masterpiece.  He went on to say that AFD was his favorite GNR album and that he wasn't even a huge fan of the UYI's because even they were getting too bloated for him.

Just made me think when people say CD doesn't sound like a Guns N' Roses record to them.  To me it sounds EXACTLY what a Guns N' Roses record was going to sound like.  It was quite a progression from AFD to UYI, so the continued progression was only natural.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Album rank:

AFD
CD
UYI II
UYI I
Lies
TSI

Same for me, but I'd put UYI I before II. And TSI above Lies. Man, there's some good stuff on TSI? I just wish they would have done more with it.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Taking a long break from it, I've played it to death over the last few years and finally its lost its lustre. Not due to the music being weak or anything, just because of total overkill on my part.

Part 2 this Christmas would be perfect, I'm dying to hear the rest of those songs. Cant see it happening though, too many spooks, goblins, evil doers and usurpers ceaselessly attempting to exploit GNR at Axls and our expense. Thank the lord he's ever vigilant to their shenanigans.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

russtcb wrote:

For sure. That part in Madagascar has and still does get me pumped. So many cool parts. I think my favorite is "What we've got here is....FEAR"

Managed to track down the MLK speech on YouTube - really interesting to hear those quotes in their original context:

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

russtcb wrote:
faldor wrote:

Just a quick note related to this topic.  Listening to The Eddie Trunk show from last night on Sirius and a caller called in and asked him which he liked better, "Slash" or "Chinese Democracy".  He said that for him, "Slash" was a better record because it was more straight ahead rock and that CD had a lot going on in it.  He did say that the record has grown on him and there a lot of thing on it that he now really likes and that maybe down the line it'll be viewed as a masterpiece.  He went on to say that AFD was his favorite GNR album and that he wasn't even a huge fan of the UYI's because even they were getting too bloated for him.

Just made me think when people say CD doesn't sound like a Guns N' Roses record to them.  To me it sounds EXACTLY what a Guns N' Roses record was going to sound like.  It was quite a progression from AFD to UYI, so the continued progression was only natural.

This.

I feel the same way. I placed CD just slightly ahead of AFD for that reason. It truly seems to me to be the natural progression of things.

As Ron has pointed out, it's like you're skipping from, say, Meet the Beatles to The White Album without hearing the intervening years of musical development; all that stuff is locked down in Axl's vaults. It's a crying shame that we'll never get to hear that material; I'd love to hear the sessions that gave us the so-called 1999 versions of TWAT and IRS...

Board footer