You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Chinese Renaissance

faldor wrote:

Just to clarify, I never said GNR or CD is progressive rock.  I said it seemed like a natural PROGRESSION going from AFD, to UYI's, to CD.  Two different things, to me.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Stop the 'CD is progressive' nonsense. It is not. Just different. Very different, cause other people had to write the music for Axl and nobody told him not to use stupid '80s synth effects. Dream Theater is (was) progressive. AFD GN'R is debatable, but CD was not progressive at all. Not a second of it. It was dated before it got released, not to mention the uninspired songwriting. OMG 18

I'm just talking in terms of musical development; the band changed over those years, but we never got to hear the intervening stages which would've made those changes seem more organic. Instead we just jumped straight from A to Z without hearing B, C, D etc.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Not a second of it. It was dated before it got released, not to mention the uninspired songwriting. OMG 18

haha. You think theres any music released mainstream today that isn't dated? Really?
Every fucking rock band got the same old Guitar Bass Drum set-up, every idea for a song at this point has been covered. Every note played.

There is no music that isn't dated. The basic building blocks of rock music have been around since the time of Mozart.

It's all dated.

Stepvhen

Stepvhen wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

Progressive:
favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are, esp. in political matters: a progressive mayor.

thats a definition of progressive the word...but prog rock is something entirely different

Progressive rock bands pushed "rock's technical and compositional boundaries" by going beyond the standard rock or popular verse-chorus-based song structures. The Oxford Companion to Music states that progressive rock bands "...explored extended musical structures which involved intricate instrumental patterns and textures and often esoteric subject matter." Additionally, the arrangements often incorporated elements drawn from classical, jazz, and world music. Instrumentals were common, while songs with lyrics were sometimes conceptual, abstract, or based in fantasy. Progressive rock bands sometimes used "concept albums that made unified statements, usually telling an epic story or tackling a grand overarching theme."  Progressive rock developed from late 1960s psychedelic rock, as part of a wide-ranging tendency in rock music of this era to draw inspiration from ever more diverse influences.

dreamtheater is prog rock...prog metal to be precise...Rush is also prog rock...i definately wouldnt classify SG (Grunge) nor NIN (Industrial) as being progressive rock

You probably got a point but all it does is highlight the absolute bullshit state of modern music, when music that is in no way "progressive" is termed progressive and sold to the masses as such.

Makes sense.

Any hardcore Dream Theater fan I know loves to talk about how "progressive" Dream Theater are. As though they are more intelligent because they identify with progressive music while the rest of the masses are trapped listening to non progressive shit...... Ironic that in reality the music isn't actually progressing.

I have a big problem with a classic rock band being termed progressive. Official terminology aside. Fuck that shit.

To be honest the most progressive thing Mike Portnoy ever did was to leave Dream Theter

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

I have a big problem with a classic rock band being termed progressive. Official terminology aside. Fuck that shit.

well i have a problem with music that came out when i was a kid being termed "classic" 16 19

Stepvhen

Stepvhen wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

well i have a problem with music that came out when i was a kid being termed "classic" 16 19

Ha ha big_smile nice one

johndivney wrote:
misterID wrote:

I've never understood the "dated sound" criticism. Sounds very modern. I can turn on the radio to rock and pop bands and hear those sounds, not to mention NIN.

And btw, if you haven't noticed, those 80's synth sounds are back in fashion and have been for a while.

in relation to the 'progressive' debate, i thik CD & AFD are quite similar in the way both manage to be the final stop of the decade or period of rock that preceded the albums releases. AFD was more of an exclaimation mark really, but in terms of 'classic' blues hard rock lineage & even the cock rock glam pop of the van halen/sunset strip crue AFD singalled the culmination of those influences (and topped them all).
likewise a lot of CD is an attempt to encapsulate a lot of influences (& a lot of other older influences, elton john/classic 70s rock) & thread them together into a coherent whole. it doesn't achieve as successful a mixture as AFD or transcend it's influences as effortlessly & consistantly, & that's because of the songwriting talent of izzy (& slash n duff - axl is always axl but the influences & talents of the earlier guys, IMO, outweigh in terms of quality the guys who helped write CD).
but i still think it's a stunning cocktail & tho no AFD i would say that like UYI2 (& loadsa other really great albums but not The Greatest, knowwhatimean??) it's simply another landmark hard rock album. in that it has some dodgy moments & a wears a heavy history, but there are so many amazing songs buried on there that it's still a brilliant record that withstands all the negativity surrounding it.

i don't really care for how dated it sounds. Better is sounding better every passing year. a lot of the songs are as good as the best GnR material & those songs are timeless tbh. GnR have always tried to make albums that are built to last & CD is no different. it's definitely worthy of the GnR name & there's not much stronger praise u can give i think!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

Progressive:
favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are, esp. in political matters: a progressive mayor.

thats a definition of progressive the word...but prog rock is something entirely different

Progressive rock bands pushed "rock's technical and compositional boundaries" by going beyond the standard rock or popular verse-chorus-based song structures. The Oxford Companion to Music states that progressive rock bands "...explored extended musical structures which involved intricate instrumental patterns and textures and often esoteric subject matter." Additionally, the arrangements often incorporated elements drawn from classical, jazz, and world music. Instrumentals were common, while songs with lyrics were sometimes conceptual, abstract, or based in fantasy. Progressive rock bands sometimes used "concept albums that made unified statements, usually telling an epic story or tackling a grand overarching theme."  Progressive rock developed from late 1960s psychedelic rock, as part of a wide-ranging tendency in rock music of this era to draw inspiration from ever more diverse influences.

dreamtheater is prog rock...prog metal to be precise...Rush is also prog rock...i definately wouldnt classify SG (Grunge) nor NIN (Industrial) as being progressive rock

You probably got a point but all it does is highlight the absolute bullshit state of modern music, when music that is in no way "progressive" is termed progressive and sold to the masses as such.

Makes sense.

Any hardcore Dream Theater fan I know loves to talk about how "progressive" Dream Theater are. As though they are more intelligent because they identify with progressive music while the rest of the masses are trapped listening to non progressive shit...... Ironic that in reality the music isn't actually progressing.

To be honest the most progressive thing Mike Portnoy ever did was to leave Dream Theter

All I can assume from this post ( 10 ) is that what you're saying is Portnoy leaving DT leaves it open for change and something new on the drums, i.e. "progressive"?

If that's the case, wouldn't Axl and the Sunshine Band be progressive under that definition? It's progress.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Yeah, that's kind of crazy. Progressive, or "prog", has a definite and understood meaning in music, and DT is one of the go-to well known examples of it.

Board footer