You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The year I learned how to stop caring and love the wait

Neemo wrote:
sic. wrote:

Axl throws a costume party every Halloween for friends and their families. Enormous pumpkins ring the swimming pool, and spider webs hang in the trees. Specially built mazes and forts rattle with squealing children. Almost as excited as a child, Axl himself has been known to dash around and toy with every attraction. One past guest gets the impression that Axl is trying to re-create his own childhood, albeit one better than his actually was. The Halloween scene in the past few years hasn't been what it once was. "His parties have been getting smaller and smaller," recalls one recent guest. "The ever-shrinking universe." - RS, 2000

that sounds a bit too close to whacko jacko to me 18

regardless an excellent thread, as for who is leaving next...well it all depends on whether this beast is gonna come to fruition or not...hell BBF and Frank may be leaving to let BH and Brain return....or maybe the lineup will remain intact afterall. we're just gonna have to wait and see....its the one thing that we positively know, that lies in store for GNR fans

So true, always the way for us.

Hopefully at some point that will change, can't predict when and you never know what lies instore.

Sky Dog wrote:

http://www.velvetrope.com/forums/ubbthr … w=1#UNREAD

looks like Interscope will have people leaving as well. Geffen and Interscope seem to be going through some key changes.....not good.:ummm:

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wow. This effects M.I.A. Dear mother of God. Maybe this is a reason she is quitting music. She's heard things we haven't heard yet.

As I mentioned in a thread in Black Hole section, the music industry is about to have a total meltdown, and there really isn't anything thats going to stop it.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

proly gonna kick a bunch of low people off the teams and make one big team of seniority people...streamline the process and all that

Is Universal definitely taking over Geffen for sure, was that confirmed 100% or just printed that it might happen?

Obviously if key people are leaving, it's gotta be the talk to the companies and they are moving on before anything happens.

But I know in my own company, we have always been rumored in the papers that we are being sold and then it never happens.  So is it people planning ahead based on rumors that could be true or they are 80% percent sure will happen or is it something concrete?

Regardless, the persons are protecting themselves and should do so by all that we have heard.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Universal has owned Geffen for years. A shitload of record companies are under the Uni label, including Interscope.

This isn't good news.

Yeah but it's always been run by separate people even tho,  if Universal is absorbing them and downsizing for sure, that is definitely not good news if the artists are affected, wouldn't Universal make sure that the artists wouldn't be affected?

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I give you props for the thread title alone.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

Yeah but it's always been run by separate people even tho,  if Universal is absorbing them and downsizing for sure, that is definitely not good news if the artists are affected, wouldn't Universal make sure that the artists wouldn't be affected?

When Geffen Records was merged with Interscope for the first time in Universal's buyout in 1999 (here be some articles), Geffen acts were divided between Interscope staffers. Note however that both Duff and Izzy (as solo artists) were dropped from the label during the shuffle, which is why Duff's Beautiful Disease never saw the light of day.

Corporate mergers always pose some level of threat to artists. An act the size of GNR is likely to survive, but it's telling that even in the CD heyday two major former members were unceremoniously dropped.

Jameslofton wrote:

Wow. This effects M.I.A. Dear mother of God. Maybe this is a reason she is quitting music. She's heard things we haven't heard yet.

She may be taking a hiatus to wait and see until the storm blows over. I couldn't blame her.

Trent Reznor must be laughing so hard right now as the Year Zero Remix album relieved him from his Interscope contract.

Sky Dog wrote:

more on the Geffen issue

The End Of Geffen Records?

Amidst a broader staffing dial-down at Universal Music Group, sources are now raising questions about the future of Geffen Records. The once-mighty label propelled groups like Guns N' Roses, Nirvana, and Sonic Youth, though its role within the larger Universal umbrella is allegedly being reanalyzed.

Layoffs at the unit are considered imminent, and likely by the end of the year. And at least one has already exited from the larger Interscope Geffen A&M unit.

After the reductions, one source within the organization pointed to a shutdown, while another suggested a slightly different fate. According to the source, the Geffen imprint would continue to be associated with certain artists and releases, but the real action would be happening elsewhere. The transition would preserve the brand equity tied to Geffen, but strip most of the underlying functionality away. "Geffen would be shuttered in the way that labels like that get shuttered," the source shared.

Board footer