You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: Vote Ask MusicRadar: who is the greatest lead singer of all time?

jamester wrote:

Really Axl has only 2 voices? check this out!

[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A50sJU3UJVE[/url]
4 octave wonders Pt. 17 - Axl Rose (2nd try)

"Time for 4 octave wonder number 17! It is a pretty well known singer this time, Axl Rose. This should get the number of views up! Like Matt Barlow and Daniel Gildenlow, a bass-baritone who pushes himself up the 5th octave. A friend of mine said that Axl sounds like a guitar, and he´s right! Not a melodic singer but he gets the job done! This one has been requested by many, thanks goes out to all that have contributed and especially, illuminati, spydrfish and helenb. The following list needs some changes, will do that in a day or two!

1.The low passage towards the end of Sweet child of mine, lowest note is F#2.
2.The low harmony in the beginning of Paradise city, also F#2.
3.A solid D#2 from You ain´t the first.
4.The live version has 2 D#2:s.
5.C#2 from Shackler´s revenge off Chinese Democracy (nice that Axl finally considered it finished!).
6.Can axl go lower? He´s speaking in the lower part of the 2nd octave here and sings a C#2 (one more TIME) at the end, from a MTV rockumentary.
7.Axl slides down to a wobbly but sustained C2 at the end of Ain´t going down (demo).
9. Nice B1 from Don´t cry.
10.B1 also in this well known song, November rain (my favorite epic GNR song), fry?
11.This sounds also like B1, a low harmony (separated from the lead vocal) from There was a time.
12. Axl´s lowest note, A1, from Get in the ring with a lead A2 above. The melody varies between one line at B1, one line at D2, one line at A1 and one more line at B1, then it repeats.
13.Time to get high.a C#5 from Paradise city.
14.The classic ending to Sweet child where axl hits a few D#5.s and also a short E5.
15.D#5 with trills from Welcome to the jungle.
16.Sustained D#5 from song Anything goes.
17.F5 from You could be mine.
18. Same note but live.
19.singing up to F#5! and then sustaining that note, from There was a time. His highest singing ever, this must be tough for him at concerts.
20.Great F#5 from I.R.S.
21. G5 from a live version of Welcome to the jungle.
22. G5 from Chinese democracy.
23.Nice cadenza topping at G#5 from Scraped with a C#2 in a low harmony!.
24.Sustained G#5:s together with Sebastian Bach (who had/has some great highs!), I don´t hear two voices though, song is Back in the saddle (old Aerosmith song).
25.A great Do you know where the fuck you aaaaaaaare scream by axl, hitting an A5, from a MTV award show. I´m sure there are other axl screams that go even higher.

Thanks spydr for making this 2nd video!"

"He is the best and most versatile vocalist of all time. List of songs used (in order) : Scraped, You're crazy (acoustic), If the World, It's So Easy, Dead Horse, Patience, Rocket Queen, Since I don't have you, Oh My God, Down on the Farm, Madagascar, So Fine, I don't care about you, This I Love, There was a time, Don't Cry (demo), Breakdown, Out ta get me, You ain't the first, Catcher in the Rye, November Rain, Knockin' on heaven's door, Human Being, Look at your game girl, Better, Civil War, Sweet child o' mine, Ain't it fun, Sympathy for the devil, The Garden, Estranged, There was a time, Nice Boys, Shackler's Revenge, Street of Dreams(A.K.A. The Blues), You could be mine, Riad n' the Bedouins, Mr. Brownstone, Prostitute, Live and let die, Better, shotgun blues, Right next door to hell, chinese democracy, Coma, Don't damn me, My World, I.R.S., Locomotive, It's alright, Yesterdays, Com"

jamester

jamester wrote:
war wrote:

axl rose is a more diverse singer than anyone on that list and that can be proven using music theory.

he uses more resonances of his voice than anyone on that list, mercury included.

frediie mercury was a great singer but different than axl.

[youtube]ScEVvPnmiqI&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]jhCBzU673lA&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]vo-Ka4K-QZw&feature=related[/youtube]

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

More resonances? What?

Axl has two voices - soft and screaming. One or the other. They're great, but that's it.

Freddie had about 16, and a couple we still haven't heard.

LOL!!

you obviously don't know much about voice and come close to admitting it there.

freddie mercury is great too. I'm not saying he has a poor range or isn't diverse.

but listen to 10 random gnr songs and ask yourself if you were listening to these songs for the first time if you would be positive it's the same singer on all 10.

then do the same thing with queen.

i am not even focusing on keys, octaves, and notes here.

bono is correct - Bono is a very diverse singer as well.

jamester

jamester wrote:

Here you have a vocal range video for a deceased, legendary rock vocalist from AC/DC, Bon Scott. The man has a really dirty tone, which may mislead to think him as a baritone. He avoids low notes like a plague and sings 5th octave notes all the time without even trying to go lower, so he is definitely a tenor. The man has really powerful voice and great high notes! Time to check out his range:

1. We'll start with low notes. First clip has Bon speaking solid C3s and one B2 in "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap".
2. Bon speaking feminine A3s before sliding down to D3 in "Whole Lotta Rosie".
3. Bon speaking down to B2 in "Big Balls".
4. More lows in "Big Balls", Scott slides down to B2 in the end of the clip.
5. Bon speaking down to solid B2 in "Love at First Feel".
6. "Ride On" with Bon speaking many C3s.
7. The best showcase of Bon's lows, strong C3s and B2s in "The Jack", he also slides down to his lowest note, A2, in the end of the clip. You can clearly hear it's his limit, though. He avoided the lowest notes of the song when performing this live.
8. "The Jack" with more B2s and C3s by Scott.
9. Bon Scott being interviewed, his voice sounds pretty feminine when he talks, he speaks mostly in B2-D3 area. The higher voice is Scott, the lower one is the interviewer.
10. Time for high notes! Bon has so many high notes, so I'm including just some of them, because I couldn't get them all to fit in the video. We'll start with great C5:s from "Problem Child".
11. Bon hitting powerful C5s from "Riff Raff".
12. Really well projected C5 from the intro of "Kicked in the Teeth".
13. Bon hitting screamy but powerful D#5s in "Night Prowler" and finally ending the song with screamed C#5.
14. Scott hitting B4s and trilling up to D#5 in "Gimme a Bullet".
15. Bon hitting great B4s before starting a powerful slide from C5 to screamy E5 in vocal version of "Let There Be Rock".
16. Bon hitting powerful C5:s and even does trills to E5s in "Whole Lotta Rosie".
17. Bon hitting screamy E5s throughout the ending of "Highway to Hell".
18. Bon hitting screamy E5s in the final chorus of "Touch Too Much".
19. Great E5s by Bon in "Beating Around the Bush", he hits them during the whole song!
20. Really great E5s by Scott from "Shot Down in Flames".
21. Bon going up to E5 before breaking into falsetto F5 in the live version of Live Wire".
22. Bon going up to nice and clear E5 in the live version of "High Voltage".
23. Bon hitting long and great D#5 in the live version of "Dog Eat Dog".
24. Bon hitting powerful E5 with a really quick trill to F5 and back to E5 in the live version of "Whole Lotta Rosie".
25. Another E5 by Bon, this time from the live version of "Rocker".
26. Bon hitting quick D#5 and then sliding up to F5 in the live version of "The Jack".
27. Quick and easy F5 by Bon from the live version of "Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be".
28. Bon hitting powerful F5:s in "Love Hungry Man".
29. Bon sliding up to F#5 in the live version "Problem Child".
30. Bon's highest note, G5(!), from the live version of "Problem Child", this really sounds like his limit.
31. And finally the falsetto register! The first clip has Bon hitting C6 in "Jailbreak".
32. Bon hitting D5 in full voice and then G#5 in falsetto in the live version of "High Voltage".
33. Bon Scott's highest note ever, falsetto E6 from "Gimme a Bullet"!

Enjoy Bon Scott's powerful voice!

jamester

jamester wrote:

The Vocal Range of Chris Cornell: (G♯1-)C2-G♯5(-E6)
[youtube]YYXyW3lCxyc&feature=related[/youtube]
This is an updated video of Cornell's range, the original is by Jowox's but it's outdated!

Chris Cornell is the vocalist mostly known for his work in Soundgarden and Audioslave but also his solo albums and Temple of the Dog. He often gets mistaken as a tenor but he is a high baritone (his timbre is purely baritonish) with quite strong low register and some of the most powerful high notes ever in music history. No wonder he keeps getting called as one of the greatest vocalists ever!

1. We'll start with his low register. Here Chris is going down to G#2s and speaking G2s in the demo version of "Beyond the Wheel" which is tuned half-step down from the original.
2. Next is the studio version of "Beyond the Wheel" with Cornell hitting A2s, few subtle D2s and one fry G#1.
3. Cornell going down to G2s in "Time" from his solo album Scream.
4. Chris going down to strong F#2s in "Other Side of Town" also from his solo career.
5. Cornell doing solid lows around E♭2 in "Entering".
6. The lowest note ever by Cornell, really strong C2 from an interview!
7. Time for Chris Cornell's powerful high register! First clip features Cornell hitting powerful D5s in "The Day I Tried to Live".
8. Cornell belting out powerful D5s in "Face Pollution".
9. Cornell screaming powerful D5 in "Room a Thousand Years Wide".
10. "Hands All Over" with pack of D5s by Cornell.
11. Cornell hitting bunch of high notes topping at D5, the song is "Blind Dogs".
12. Cornell letting out a powerful D#5 scream in Santana's cover of Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love".
13. Powerful D#5 screams by Cornell from "I Awake".
14. Cornell sliding up to great D#5 in "4th of July".
15. Cornell hitting powerful E5s in Temple of the Dog's "Hunger Strike", the other voice is Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam.
16. Cornell screaming a short E5 in "Louder Love".
17. Cornell sustaining a powerful E5 in Temple of the Dog's "Call Me a Dog".
18. Cornell doing a great glissando up to powerful E5 in "Entering".
19. Soundgarden's cover of Beatles' "Come Together" with Cornell sustaining powerful E5.
20. Cornell going up to E5 in "Mind Riot".
21. "Gun" with Cornell going up to great F5.
22. Cornell sustaining really powerful D5 with trills to F5 in the a-capella version of "Spoonman".
23. Cornell hitting great F5:s in Soundgarden's new single "Black Rain".
24. "Beyond the Wheel" with Cornell sustaining powerful D5s and D#5s with occasional trills up to F5.
25. He can sing it live once again, this is the live performance from Seattle. Here he sustains the same notes and even does the trill up to F5, his voice has recovered really well!
26. Cornell hitting really powerful D5s with a trill up to F5, the song is an a-capella version of "Jesus Christ Pose".
27. Cornell going up to great F5 in "Outshined".
28. "Birth Ritual" with Cornell hitting high notes topping at F5.
29. Cornell hitting really powerful F5s in "Slaves and Bulldozers".
30. Cornell going up to great F#5s in "Four Walled World".
31. Cornell hitting powerful F#5s in "Holy Water".
32. "Let Me Drown" with powerful F#5 scream by Cornell.
33. Cornell gliding up to G5s in full voice in the live cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Smokestack Lightning", the high note in the studio version is falsetto.
34. Cornell going up to great G5 in Temple of the Dog's "Reach Down"
35. Cornell hitting amazing high notes with the highest being G5, the song is Temple of the Dog's "Say Hello 2 Heaven".
36. Cornell wailing along with the guitar hitting powerful G5s, the song is "Power Trip".
37. Face Pollution" with Cornell sliding up to G5.
38. Cornell going up to powerful G#5 in "Heretic", there are also two slides down but they sound processed."
39. Falsetto time: "Jesus Christ Pose" with Chris sliding up to powerful falsetto G#5 (he switches to it around E5-F#5) and landing down, the low note is processed.
40. "Full on Kevin's Mom" with Cornell sliding up to A5, he switches to falsetto at some point.
41. Cornell going up to G5 and then into falsetto A5 in "Cold Bitch", really powerful notes!
42. Here's the studio cover of "Smokestack Lightning" with Chris hitting the G5 in falsetto.
43. Cornell hitting A5 and G5 in falsetto, the song is "Face Pollution".
44. Time for Cornell's highest note ever, falsetto E6 from "Kyle Petty (Son of Richard)".

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Well that settles it then.....

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
war wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

More resonances? What?

Axl has two voices - soft and screaming. One or the other. They're great, but that's it.

Freddie had about 16, and a couple we still haven't heard.

LOL!!

you obviously don't know much about voice and come close to admitting it there.

freddie mercury is great too. I'm not saying he has a poor range or isn't diverse.

but listen to 10 random gnr songs and ask yourself if you were listening to these songs for the first time if you would be positive it's the same singer on all 10.

then do the same thing with queen.

i am not even focusing on keys, octaves, and notes here.

bono is correct - Bono is a very diverse singer as well.

I know plenty about voice and octaves, i'm just not an Axl nerd.

If that makes me ignorant, than i'm an ignorant fool. Mercury, Bono, Cornell, Rob Halford, and hell James LaBrie, are all better vocalists than Axl.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Daddy never raised no fucking fool.....

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think the thing here is it also comes down to style.

Like most of these people listed have killer range...some of them in particular...but at the end of the day it's also about the way they sing those notes and what the listener prefers.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Pre-cisely monk. Most of these opinions have been based on the music, and not the singer. "I never cared for Queen's music, or Soundgarden, so Axl's better"

Just 'cause you don't like the artist, and have some thumbsucking loyalty to GN'R, doesn't make Axl a better vocalist. He also isn't a better frontman, charisma-wise then a Freddie or Bono.

He just isn't. You can make all the arguments you want until you are blue in the face, it's not gonna make it true.

Board footer