You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Vote Ask MusicRadar: who is the greatest lead singer of all time?

Bono wrote:

I gotta admit studio versions don't impress me all that much when it comes to this kind of stuff. I think we'll all agree that Axl uses a ton of production on his voice in the studio.  I think live is where you gotat show your stuff as far as vocal range and control goes.

Check this out if you guys are interested. The first clip is Pavarotti sining his part live. He sings it twice but the 4:00 mark is when he hits the big note.

Now here's Bono doing the same thing a few months ago at the 2:20 mark
[youtube]XtfXdLMnhwM&feature=fvst[/youtube]

Obvioulsy Pavarotti has much more control but I think it's pretty awesme how well Bono pulls it off.  I lean towards his performance though as I thik it has more passion in it.

That clip of Freddie playing with the crowd was pretty awesome too. If I take personal prefrence out of it and just focus on singing ability yeah that dude is probably number one.

I like Axl as lead VOCALIST based on his distinct and unique voice but I have to admit he's far from the best singer.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Yeah but u guys aren't factoring in a lot of criteria. The fact Axl doesn't tune down as so many do now. the fact he has a very physical stage style. standing in place singing vs moving around and hitting notes gives Axl massive points.

Ive never been a Cornell or Bono guy. I respect their talents, understand why people love them, i know they have fantastic voices but i don't feel much when they sing. They do nothing for me emotionally. Same with Robert Plant. Hate the guy. would much rather hear Gilmour or Waters sing than Plant. Plant can sing higher but not better imo.

Axl, on the other hand, could sing the phone book and I'd buy 2 copies. He has a way of switching his voice and singing with a very emotional/frail but then  in yourface style that can take u on the rollercoaster ride of emotion.

Bono can sing a decent ballad but in no way can he sing a rock song anywhere near Axl.

Cornell, I know i am wrong, but for me, everything he sings sounds the same to my ears. He has a fabulous voice but for me, his melodies all sound he same.

Axl just seems more real to me, more authentic.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Love or hate Axl, that IRS scream is just off the fucking hook. Gave me chills the first time I heard it and along with Bucket's solo, its the highlight of the song.

Axl is one of the greats and as far as stage presence goes, few even come close to rivaling it. However, speaking just about vocals, he would have difficulty holding Cornell's jockstrap and don't take my word for it. Take Axl's. Axl said years ago that Cornell flat out buries him as a vocalist. Just because D thinks he sucks doesn't change that fact.

Cornell, I know i am wrong, but for me, everything he sings sounds the same to my ears. He has a fabulous voice but for me, his melodies all sound he same.

I see you still didn't download all that Cornell stuff I sent you. Thanks for wasting my time.

but listen to 10 random gnr songs and ask yourself if you were listening to these songs for the first time if you would be positive it's the same singer on all 10.

Considering he has an incredibly distinctive voice, its safe to say people can pick the voice out immediately.

-D-

-D- wrote:

I downloaded some of it but I'm just not a soundgarden fan.. wasn't back then and it just doesn't do anything for me. If I sent you Bon Jovi's discography, u still aren't going to like it if you aren't a fan or dig that kind of music. its nothing personal towards Cornell, I love his song on Slash's album and "Gulp" its actually my favorite thing I've ever heard him do which i know is total blasephemy.

some artists I really connect with, others I don't. You will however never hear me say anyone, other than Robin Finck sucks. I respect everyones talent and understand why they are respected and awesome. some things just arent my cup of tea.

I've never made that connection to Cornell,Bono,Plant, The beatles, Rolling Stones.... Kind of like Eddie Vedder. sure he is an amazing vocalist and frontman but i only like maybe 10 Pearl Jam songs tops... rest i cant listen to.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
-D- wrote:

Bono can sing a decent ballad but in no way can he sing a rock song anywhere near Axl..

That's because Bono isn't rock n' roll. he's Rock n' Soul which no other singer can lay claim to in my "humble" opinion tongue  16

Honestly yeah it all depends on what hits ya most. To be honest Bono could never sing Gn'R songs but  then again Axl woud sound really stupid in my opinion singing Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses or I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

I agree with you about Cornell. I recognize he's a great singer but his Voice really doesn't do much for me.

I just give huge bonus points to Axl's voice cause his voice and Guns N' Roses as a band is what got me into music. 

-D-

-D- wrote:

Im gonna go DL it all now James. I promise i will give it a fair opportunity. I def never like anything first listen as documented. so i will give it a fair shake just as I do other albums i now love.

Sky Dog wrote:
Bono wrote:
-D- wrote:

Bono can sing a decent ballad but in no way can he sing a rock song anywhere near Axl..

That's because Bono isn't rock n' roll. he's Rock n' Soul which no other singer can lay claim to in my "humble" opinion tongue  16

Honestly yeah it all depends on what hits ya most. To be honest Bono could never sing Gn'R songs but  then again Axl woud sound really stupid in my opinion singing Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses or I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

I agree with you about Cornell. I recognize he's a great singer but his Voice really doesn't do much for me.

I just give huge bonus points to Axl's voice cause his voice and Guns N' Roses as a band is what got me into music. 

Soul is more important than voice....soul makes the "frontman" in my opinion.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Plant.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Bono wrote:

The first clip is Pavarotti sining his part live.

The funny bit is Pavarotti would have been well past his prime in terms of his voice potential at that stage but he still utterly killed it.
Amazing.

Bono wrote:

I like Axl as lead VOCALIST based on his distinct and unique voice but I have to admit he's far from the best singer.

Exactly. It's about sutibility for the purpose. Although axl has impressive vocal skills, I don't doubt there's people with a greater range, stronger voice, more consistant etc. However as a package in the context of the type of music he does Axl is formidable IMO, that stage presence, the intensity, the pain he can get in his voice, the high's the lows, the sincerity of it all, the watchability. The way pretty much no one can cover his music properly with the same sort of feel.

So i dunno, for me maybe he's not the best 'singer' but he's probably the best frontman in that type of rock.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Pavarotti did a lot of lip synching live, at least in his later life.

Board footer