You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Vote Ask MusicRadar: who is the greatest lead singer of all time?

-D- wrote:

late 80's early 90's axl is untouchable. I've never seen a frontman as electric/energetic/insane and as mindblowing as Axl. His singing style combined with high level sprinting,spinning,dancing,attitude,rants, true danger factor.

Just untouchable without a doubt. Can make u cry,can make u smile, Give u hope when u feel like dying, can make u want to take a sledgehammer to your room and destroy it.

We are all on GNR forums for a reason. so maybe I am biased, but nobody has the complete package Axl has. Everyone of course can have their opinion but I am a pretty objective person, and I haven't seen anyone other than Mercury possibly steven tyler come close.

are there vocalists with technically better vocals? Sure 

Adam Lambert has one of the most technically gifted voices alive. Technical is one of the more overrated terms in music.

I personally don't care are how fast u can play, how many strings u can tap, how high u can sing etc its about what u can make me feel.

Anthony Kiedis has a very limited vocal range but I'll take him over Robert Plant... YEAH I SAID IT!

of course that could completely kill my Axl credibility but who cares?

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Axl is one of the greats and as far as stage presence goes, few even come close to rivaling it. However, speaking just about vocals, he would have difficulty holding Cornell's jockstrap and don't take my word for it. Take Axl's. Axl said years ago that Cornell flat out buries him as a vocalist. Just because D thinks he sucks doesn't change that fact.

and just because axl, supposedly, said cornell was a better singer doesn't make it true. if axl said he was a better signer would it be true? and does singing profesionally make him an authority above anyone else? klinda like sports.... being a great player doesn't make you a great coach and that is clear.

personally, i think cornell is overrated. he MAY have a better range but the colors and textures he uses of his voice are few and far between compared to axl and axl is a much better singer/performer live. cornell, in my opinion, is incredibly boring. i also believe that, right now, axl is aging better and may currently have a better range. that's without even bringing up the fact that these people might have more range than we know of since all we know is what has been recorded and axl has far less recordings released than cornell and freddie mercury.

James Lofton wrote:

but listen to 10 random gnr songs and ask yourself if you were listening to these songs for the first time if you would be positive it's the same singer on all 10.

Considering he has an incredibly distinctive voice, its safe to say people can pick the voice out immediately.

yes, ofcourse, his voice is distinct and you remember it and don't mix it up with other artists. but when hearing gnr's music for the first time it is easy to question whether that is axl on all parts because he sounds so different in many songs or parts, more so than anyone else. ive heard people question whether that was the guitar player singing in certain songs, etc... when it was axl. i don't know if u understood what i was saying.

-D-

-D- wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Love or hate Axl, that IRS scream is just off the fucking hook. Gave me chills the first time I heard it and along with Bucket's solo, its the highlight of the song.

Axl is one of the greats and as far as stage presence goes, few even come close to rivaling it. However, speaking just about vocals, he would have difficulty holding Cornell's jockstrap and don't take my word for it. Take Axl's. Axl said years ago that Cornell flat out buries him as a vocalist. Just because D thinks he sucks doesn't change that fact.

Cornell, I know i am wrong, but for me, everything he sings sounds the same to my ears. He has a fabulous voice but for me, his melodies all sound he same.

I see you still didn't download all that Cornell stuff I sent you. Thanks for wasting my time.

but listen to 10 random gnr songs and ask yourself if you were listening to these songs for the first time if you would be positive it's the same singer on all 10.

Considering he has an incredibly distinctive voice, its safe to say people can pick the voice out immediately.

Show me one post where I ever said Cornell sucks. I did nothing but praise why I completely understand people who think he is great, only he isn't my cup of tea.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
war wrote:

yes, ofcourse, his voice is distinct and you remember it and don't mix it up with other artists. but when hearing gnr's music for the first time it is easy to question whether that is axl on all parts because he sounds so different in many songs or parts, more so than anyone else. ive heard people question whether that was the guitar player singing in certain songs, etc... when it was axl. i don't know if u understood what i was saying.

I could see this. Get in the Ring would be a good example.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:
war wrote:

I could see this. Get in the Ring would be a good example.

Yeah, back when I was a kid, I didn't think Axl sang "It's So Easy".  The voice was just too low.  Hell, when I first heard Shackler's I didn't think that was Axl at the beginning.

-D-

-D- wrote:

same Faldor. I didn't know he sang ISE, was positive it wasn't him singing the beginning of Estranged as well.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
-D- wrote:

Show me one post where I ever said Cornell sucks. I did nothing but praise why I completely understand people who think he is great, only he isn't my cup of tea.

i put  him in the Bono category.. he has something to his voice that just is nails onchalkboard for me.. i can't listen.

Chris Cornell is horrible.....

You've made other negative statements but asked for one. Consider that second one a bonus.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Pavarotti did a lot of lip synching live, at least in his later life.

Yeah but only at the end I think. I mean the guy was in his 60s and 70s and in terrible health. Really shouldn't have been in situations where he was peforming at that stage.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Cornell is hit and miss for me.

Sometimes I just can't get into a song of his. An example is his recent song with slash. Now you'd expect me to be into that - I love Slash and I love a bunch of Chris songs too - but that one just seemed very nothingy to me - couldn't really see the attraction - as Lars would say - it seemed pretty stock from both of them and less than they would normally do. (And thats commin from me who loves that album).

But when he is on, he is on.

Listen to the end of that song with those screams and tell me there's no emotion!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
-D- wrote:

We are all on GNR forums for a reason. so maybe I am biased, but nobody has the complete package Axl has. Everyone of course can have their opinion but I am a pretty objective person, and I haven't seen anyone other than Mercury possibly steven tyler come close.

This is a pretty accurate post. I'd agree with that statement, for someone who had an Axl preference.

People are forgetting with Cornell, that for as great of a vocalist as he is, possibly as good or better than Axl, Cornell not on any day or any planet comes close to have the stage presence as Axl.

Board footer