You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: MATT SORUM Says VELVET REVOLVER Is 'Real Close' To Finding New Singer

jamester wrote:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … nt=Twitter

VELVET REVOLVER have been on hiatus since singer Scott Weiland left the group in April of 2008, but recently the band has been auditioning vocalists. Drummer Matt Sorum told VH1 Radio Networks' Dave Basner  about the singer search, "We're real close [to finding the right person]. We got a guy that we like but we haven't sat around a table and said to each other, 'Okay, let’s shake hands and do this.' Hopefully we'll be able to… I mean, I know this has been going on for a while but the reality of it is [VELVET REVOLVER guitarist] Slash has been on the road [promoting his solo album] for the last year. We only started rehearsing last week after a year off and we're going to rehearse again in January with this particular person."

So what's next for the group?

"After that process, we're gonna sit down and decide if he's the guy and then at that point we'll make a record and go out on the road and tour again," Sorum said. "We all know that we want to make the right record and the right decisions and if it takes another year or two, it probably won't happen, but I feel very confident it's probably going to happen in 2011."

In a recent interview with Artisan News Service, VELVET REVOLVER bassist Duff McKagan talked about what the hold-up has been with regards to the search for the right replacement for departed frontman Scott Weiland.

"VELVET REVOLVER is not done, we're not finished, and I don't think we've made our best record yet," he said. "We'll tour again, we'll find the guy."

He added, "It's one of those things, if you concern yourself with it [too much, it starts to work against you] because there's a not to pool from out there — for our particular band. There's some great talent — we've heard some really, really good guys — but to get all of us to agree on what that… I don't know if the guy that all four of us want is ever gonna exist, but we've gotta get close."

Regarding a possible replacement for Weiland, McKagan said, "It's gotta be better than it was; it's gotta be as good, at least. And for us, it's gotta be better. And Scott is an amazing vocalist and frontman, so it's gotta be as good or better than that. We can't [step down a notch]."

VELVET REVOLVER has been without a vocalist and on hiatus since dismissing Weiland in April 2008, although there have been rumored candidates to take the job from time to time.

Slash recently finished a tour in support of his debut solo album and will work with VELVET REVOLVER for the rest of this year, before heading out on the road again in January with OZZY OSBOURNE.

VELVET REVOLVER released its first concert DVD on November 16, titled "Live In Houston". The 12-song, 78-minute disc was filmed in 2005 while the band was touring behind its 2004 debut album, "Contraband". In addition to tunes from that record, the DVD also includes songs from its members' other bands, GUNS N' ROSES and STONE TEMPLE PILOTS, along with interviews with all five band members at the time.
velvetband.jpg

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

shut up matt...
real close? as in so many fridays till new year?

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

VR3=CD

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

^

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It is turning into a bit of a saga.

I do wonder if slash left to do his solo thing just because they couldn't agree on a singer. Myles says he'd be honoured to be in VR. Slash is doing a 2nd album with him. I think that means someone else in VR didn't dig him and slash got frustrated.

I am hopeful that they'll eventually reform. I think everyone in VR seems to be smart enough to realise that all differences aside together they have a chemestry that's very unusual. Like Slash, Duff and Matt just click...and it's hard to find that.

The pressure will be on for the 3rd album though, with scott out, the chips are really down to make a kickass rock album. I mean they've lost the STP side of the VR fanbase, and the GNR side has often been underwhelmed (mostly due to scotts influence IMO)..so there's really going to be no excuses this time if they don't create something powerful as hell.

Mind you..slash's solo stuff has a lot of killer riffs this time around, and live he's shredding better than ever....I think he's up for it....with a kickass singer I think VR could become an absolutely killer band.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Where's Dave?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Dave says:

"VELVET REVOLVER...
Well, if you a fan of the band, you've probably seen a lot of press where Slash says we're still a band, AND the next record will be heavier AND that we're gonna get back to work in Feb 2010 AND we still don't have a singer... Well, its ALL true ! That's where that's at. "

On his website on June 29th....so I guess he's still in the picture too.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
jamester062001 wrote:

VR3=CD

It's actually kind of similar I think. 

I mean Axl had the impossible job of trying to replicate all of classic GNR, then he found a new direction then lost those guys, so had to find people that can emulate both slash and bucket while still bringing something new to the table for the future.

Now VR needs someone who isn't just a scott clone, but is comftorable doing all their back catalogue in his style, yet I get the impression that this time they want  someone a little more Axl like - as they're always going to get those comparisions too - and they want to write a heavier album. So ideally they need someone who can bring the sort of talent package Axl would to the table, yet can also do scott's stuff and then is also a key ingriedent for future projects.

Neither of those would have been easy things to achieve.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I do wonder if slash left to do his solo thing just because they couldn't agree on a singer. Myles says he'd be honoured to be in VR. Slash is doing a 2nd album with him. I think that means someone else in VR didn't dig him and slash got frustrated.

I would say this doesn't sound that far from what might be the case.

VR's promises of a new singer have become almost as silly as Axl promising CD would be released all those years before it actually came out.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer