You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: VELVET REVOLVER Zeroing In On 'Younger And Stronger' New Singer - Dec.

jamester wrote:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … nt=Twitter
According to The Pulse Of Radio, VELVET REVOLVER is apparently circling a new vocalist to finally replace singer Scott Weiland, more than two years after the band fired the STONE TEMPLE PILOTS frontman over his erratic behavior. Drummer Matt Sorum told The Pulse Of Radio  that after several more auditions the group has finally zeroed in on someone. "We got somebody that we're really liking a lot," he said. "We can't make the announcement yet because we're 'dating,' you know. We haven't consummated the relationship, we haven't sat down this gentleman and made the agreement together, but we're very excited and I think this could be a real turning point for the band. And I know it's been like this long-winded 'oh, VELVET REVOLVER this, VELVET REVOLVER  that,' you know — we're tired of it, believe me. But we don't have the ability to just jump out there with any singer. We can't do it."

Sorum added that the potential new singer was a "known guy" who was "younger and stronger."

Matt Sorum talking to The Pulse Of Radio about VELVET REVOLVER singer search (audio):
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … nt=Twitter
The drummer recently told VH1 Radio Networks' Dave Basner that the band was "real close" to landing their man, saying, "This has been going on for a while but the reality of it is [VELVET guitarist] Slash  has been on the road [promoting his solo album] for the last year. We only started rehearsing last week after a year off and we're going to rehearse again in January with this particular person."

Sorum says that if everything works out with this candidate, the band will record its third studio album and tour in the new year. But he did tell VH1, "If it takes another year or two, it probably won't happen, but I feel very confident it's probably going to happen in 2011."

Singers who have been linked to the VELVET REVOLVER job include ALTER BRIDGE's Myles Kennedy — who also fronts Slash's touring band — SCARS ON BROADWAY's Frankie Perez and SPACEHOG's Royston Langdon, with both Perez and Langdon known to have auditioned at various points.

Slash recently finished a tour in support of his debut solo album and will head out on the road again in January as the opening act for OZZY OSBOURNE.

VELVET REVOLVER released its first concert DVD on November 16, titled "Live In Houston". The 12-song, 78-minute disc was filmed in 2005 while the band was touring behind its 2004 debut album, "Contraband".

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Slash has to decide whether he wants to continue with VR, or go solo with Myles. I think it'll depend on how much he likes the new guy, but it'll be hard to be involved in VR and his solo project, too. Wonder if he saves some ideas for his second album instead of showing it to the other guys. It's really a though situation for him.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^Interesting as I think Slash was saying on That Metal Show he wants to find a 'diamond in the rough' - like a local guy that's not at international level yet - but Matt seems to be saying here this is someone known.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

would be interesting to see slash solo open with loaded then VR play.

"If it takes another year or two, it probably won't happen, but I feel very confident it's probably going to happen in 2011."

^^^ Sounds like he hopes it will happen but puts it off on Slash and duffs solo as reasons it may not.

This is the reason I put VR3=CD in the last thread. Some guys want to move forward while others have to much going on. Now VR has loaded itself with "Baggage" claiming to find someone "better" "younger" "unknown" stronger". I think they have talked VR in to a deep hole. Good luck to them!

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^Interesting as I think Slash was saying on That Metal Show he wants to find a 'diamond in the rough' - like a local guy that's not at international level yet - but Matt seems to be saying here this is someone known.

Well, it depends on how you define "well known".  Scott Weiland was VERY well known.  Langdon, Perez, and even Kennedy weren't all that well known around these circles until they became involved with VR/Slash.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

What exactly does "stronger" mean in this instance? Like as in stronger vocally, or that this guy frequents the gym a fair bit more than Scott did...? 14

Kind of an odd thing to say

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I reckon we are getting a mash up between Cornell, Patton and Grohl..

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

I reckon we are getting a mash up between Cornell, Patton and Grohl..

Well, they're working with a "known" person now, so I wonder who is known that fits the bill above?

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Please let it be Chester Bennington... smile

Still the only guy who marries Scott's general vibe with an Axl-ish vocal range, as far as I'm concerned.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

or Corey Taylor

Board footer