You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: Foo Fighters Reunite W/ Nirvana, Play New Songs at Secret Show

jamester wrote:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … w-20101223
rsLogo.jpg

Foo Fighters Reunite, Play New Songs at Secret Show
Dave Grohl says new album sounds like 'Nevermind'
Paul Morigi/WireImage
By Matt Diehl
December 23, 2010 10:00 AM EDT
main.jpg
Fans got the next best thing to a Nirvana reunion Tuesday night when the band’s three surviving members performed together for the first time since Kurt Cobain  passed away. The occasion was the encore for a barely announced, impromptu Foo Fighters concert at Paladino’s, a Tarzana, California dive bar better known for "Live Band Karaoke Every Tuesday" than historic rock events.

The only thing more unlikely than seeing the Foo Fighters play outside an arena was the sight of Krist Novoselic joining former Nirvana tour guitarist/current Foo Fighter Pat Smear and head Foo Dave Grohl onstage. The trio played one song — "Marigold," the non-album b-side of Nirvana’s "Heart-Shaped Box," with Grohl both singing lead and reverting to his Nirvana role behind the drums — to an audience which included Amanda Seyfried, Juliette Lewis, Ryan Phillippe and No Doubt’s Tony Kanal alongside hardcore fans pulled in from the band’s Facebook page. (The full set list appears below.)

Read Rolling Stone's review of the Foo Fighters' first album

The show — which was being filmed for a full-length documentary — was to celebrate the Foo Fighters' finishing up their seventh album, which features Novoselic playing accordion and bass on one track, "I Should Have Known," and production by Butch Vig, who helmed Nirvana’s breakthrough 1991 album Nevermind. The new effort remains untitled, although Grohl indicated from the stage at Paladino’s that he might call it Back + Forth; the band debuted a song by that name from the upcoming spring 2011 release.

"I had the same feeling listening back to this album that I did two decades ago listening to a Nirvana song like 'Lounge Act,'" Grohl said in an interview before the concert at his home studio, where the latest album was recorded — much of it, in fact, in the garage. "It’s even got the same snare sound as Nevermind," Grohl adds. "Butch is good at that."

Photos: The Experience Music Project's Massive Nirvana Exhibit

Of the sessions, Vig explains, "We had three criteria going in: It’s got to be hooky, heavy, and we’re going analog all the way." Accordingly, the new material is being hailed as the heaviest the band has ever committed to tape. The album’s first single "These Days" evokes classic Foo Fighters hits, but layered with startling layers of crunch and fuzz; tracks like "Bridge Burning" and "White Limo," meanwhile, achieve levels of unhinged squall hitherto unreached by the band.

Grohl confirms his latest opus is indeed a ballad-free zone. "When I was writing the riffs for this record, they were getting heavier and heavier," he says. “"There’s something about getting older and taking a right on fuckin' Discharge Avenue rather than turning left on Tom Petty Lane."

Foo Fighters set list, Paladino’s, 12-21-2010:

Times Like These
Generator
My Hero
The Pretender
Back + Forth (song from the new album)
Learn to Fly
White Limo (song from the new album)
For All the Cows
Dear Rosemary (song from the new album)
Skin + Bones
Cold Day in the Sun
Long Road to Ruin
Enough Space
These Days (song from the new album)
Best of You
Everlong
Monkey Wrench
All My Life

Encore:
Marigold
This Is A Call

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Pretty cool for fans. Although the press calling it a nirvana reunion without kurt is outright insane...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It's no different than Alice In Chains running around cutting records without Layne.

Still pretty cool for fans. Boy Ryan Phillipe gets all the exclusive invites to these 90's rock gods. He was at that secret NYC Guns N' Roses show earlier in the year too. 9

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ You might have me on that one cos I love that new AIC record.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^ You might have me on that one cos I love that new AIC record.

+1

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

pretty sweet just to havce dave and krist on the same stage again...Pat Smear really has nothing to do with it....hasnt he been with the Foos since the beginning anyway?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but Pat Smear was a live guitarist with Nirvana towards the end wasn't he...? So it's kinda a reunion, sorta, well, with Krist in there it's cool.

Looking forward to the new Foos album,they  always put out pretty good stuff, and it means they'll probably tour again, and seeing them live is always great.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

yeah he toured with them for about a half a year before cobain died....his first show was SNL i think and he also plays on Unplugged

but i'm pretty sure he's been with Dave and the Foos for a long time

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Pat Smear hasn't been with the Foos for a while, I think he left after the Colour and The Shape tour and was replaced by Chris Shiflett who's been their lead guitarist since then.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

It's no different than one member of Guns N' Roses running around calling his new band Guns N' Roses. Or actually it is diferent. This was 2/3 Nirvana whereas Gn'R is only 1/5 Gn'r  haha!

Board footer