You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

Saw Deadpool on Sunday and it was pretty great. Ryan Reynolds and crew redeemed themselves. I'm hearing Zootopia is getting positive reviews too. Excited for BvS later this month.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Blackhat

Worst Michael Mann film since The Keep. So many things were wrong with this one. The script sucked, the cast sucked, the good actors like Viola Davis & John Ortiz had fuck nothing to do with their characters, their lines were ham-fisted, and the score sucked.

It sucked. Hard. Stories about hackers are fucking boring. Then the final act turns into Heat/Collateral/Miami Vice, suddenly it's good and true blue Mann. You never really even knew what was going on at any given time because the dialogue was crap, and the actors murmured most of their lines. You kept waiting for this huge mystery to be revealed that never came. And when it did, it was anti-climatic. Some shit about some asshole wanting to flood some African village or something. You could've cut 1 hour & 15 minutes out of this film. Maybe more.

VERY inconsistent and a real miss from Mann

** 2 stars out of 4 -- Fair

And that's only for the gorgeous cinematography. Sometimes it looked like a Chris Nolan film, then I reminded myself that Mann did it WAY before Nolan, and Nolan copied him. It's a shame Michael Mann can't get a good script to work with, like something from Jonah Nolan. I could totally see a Michael Mann-directed "Person of Interest" movie. That'd be epic.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Blackhat was pretty bad. I'm a big Mann fan and it's definitely his worst since the Keep. Cinematography was the only saving grace, not even the action was anything special. There's usually one or two stellar action scenes in a Mann film.

In all honesty it was like watching an old man finally past it. The fear mongering with computer technology belonged in a 90s movie, maybe even as ridiculous as War Games. To make it worse that aspect is the central theme in Blackhat. Characters, plot and action felt phoned in and tacked on.

johndivney wrote:

Fast n furious 6 is on the box tonight. I'm going to avoid it out of spite for axlin!

Me_Wise_Magic

Saw two Disney movies within the past few weeks cause they have been getting excellent scores online. Both Zootopia and the remake of The Jungle Book are quite wonderful. With Jungle Book, it's the first role in quite a long while where Bill Murray is finally not phoning it in. The CG and mo-cap is masterful. The kid is likable and basically interacting with absolutely nothing until all the effects teams add all the art and characters. Zootopia feels like the most mature and uncompromising family film I've seen from the studio. I'm glad they are expanding the character models and facial expressions. Didn't draw from the mediocre Frozen asset box.

AtariLegend wrote:

I seen Captain America: Civil War... in other-words the Avengers III.

It was surprising pretty good, compared to the other Marvel super hero films. I was just never that fussed about the previous ones, but this worked.

Their's a fan service big fight 2/3 of the way through the film that puts the fight scenes from all of the other films to shame, including Batman/Superman film.

I just wish I'd seen it without a kid in the background talking through the film and jumping up and down the stairs beside the chairs. Yes, it's made for kids... but kids should never be let into the cinema.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Finally watched american sniper. ..was pretty good

I was expecting the worst

Me_Wise_Magic

AtariLegend wrote:

I seen Captain America: Civil War... in other-words the Avengers III.

It was surprising pretty good, compared to the other Marvel super hero films. I was just never that fussed about the previous ones, but this worked.

Their's a fan service big fight 2/3 of the way through the film that puts the fight scenes from all of the other films to shame, including Batman/Superman film.

I just wish I'd seen it without a kid in the background talking through the film and jumping up and down the stairs beside the chairs. Yes, it's made for kids... but kids should never be let into the cinema.

Agreed. Hoping to catch it this weekend when I get off work.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Alexander - The Final Cut

1/3 good and 2/3 very bad

AtariLegend wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Alexander - The Final Cut

1/3 good and 2/3 very bad

If Rosario Dawson was naked for 1/3 of it I'd agree.

That said, I like Farrell even if it does go over the top at times. It's just the wrong film.

Board footer